Windows Media Player Is the Next App with a Target on Its Back

When looked at my app usage I’m almost over 80% on Movie and TV now, I didn’t realize it. It’s just so much better at pulling media from my media drive. Less issues too, VLC has some terrible bugs. Don’t think M&TV has randomly crashed in the middle of a movie yet.

I've never had these problems with VLC, but every system is different.

I guess I just don't want one of those bloated players that tries to organize my media into a database. I just want a simple player that opens a file and plays it.

I guess I just don't want one of those bloated players that tries to organize my media into a database. I just want a simple player that opens a file and plays it.
So, you want something like Movies and TV app?

It’s the least intrusive media player I run and I don’t think it’s organized anything for me yet.

It may do that (never noticed), but it opens it up quickly. I just tested a random mkv encoded in Dolby Digital. M&T opened it quickly with 5.1 sound. VLC quickly with 2.0 sound. MPC locked up. I'm agnostic on these things, as they're just tools to get a job done, but I no longer have the patience to install codec packs to get A/V to work right. Kodi and M&T just work most of the time (Kodi is a bit more robust, but occasionally something happens and audio gets messed up so I use M&T until I get Kodi fixed). Note for M&T, all I do is click on the file and open it...don't use the app to browse files.

I love the Windows OS, but I do not use the media players from MS much.
Winamp (yes, still using winamp for mp3s.), PowerDVD, and VLC serve me well.

on first start "use recommended settings" uh-huh...what might those settings be you spying piece of shit? MPC-HC plays pirated .rar archives thank you very much.

It's no longer in active development. I don't know if it'll keep working once Microsoft kills off DirectShow support or if it can run independently, but one way or another it will die from the appification of Windows.
That's no reason to stop using it while it works. And it does work far better than VLC ever did. Seeking in VLC? forget it! Frame by frame step? Unheard of! Anything with less than 20fps? VLC bites the dust again. I never understood what's the appeal.

It may do that (never noticed), but it opens it up quickly. I just tested a random mkv encoded in Dolby Digital. M&T opened it quickly with 5.1 sound. VLC quickly with 2.0 sound. MPC locked up. I'm agnostic on these things, as they're just tools to get a job done, but I no longer have the patience to install codec packs to get A/V to work right. Kodi and M&T just work most of the time (Kodi is a bit more robust, but occasionally something happens and audio gets messed up so I use M&T until I get Kodi fixed). Note for M&T, all I do is click on the file and open it...don't use the app to browse files.

I use Store apps a for various things and there are good ones out there, including some of the in box apps. The Movie & TV app is a basic and solid video player that supports pretty much all common formats out of the box. For something like a basic video player what does it need? A basic and simple UI that plays videos without fuss and that's what the M&TV app does. It works great on a desktop with mouse, works great on a touch device.

Some people trip over themselves with generic criticisms like "phone app" or "lack of features" and for some reason think all UWPs are the same or all need some complex UI to do a basic job like simple video playback. Indeed the Photos app in Windows 10 has FAR more functionality that the pathetic one included with Windows 7. And 7 lacks things like a mapping or clock/alarm/timer app. I get not wanting to loose a classic desktop app that has functionality that these store apps don't but the classic included apps weren't all they great or non-existent and at this point the new UWPs are probably a better solution for average users than the old Win32 apps. If not there were always better Win32 alternatives anyway.

Back