Windows Live Messenger won't start

spotpuff

Gawd
Search is down so sorry if this has been posted before.

Woke up this morning, computer was on, but Windows Live Messenger contact list and chat window were both white windows. I shut down msnmsngr.exe in Task Manager and then tried to start the program again; msnmsngr.exe shows up in task manager but the windows refuse to show.

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling and the same thing happens. Anyone ever run into this before? Is there a way to fix this? It's rather annoying :T

*edit*
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1794502&SiteID=1&mode=1

Well, I'm not the only one, and no one has a fix. Awesome. Go Microsoft :T

Please create a system signature so we can better help you. Are you using Vista 64? Can you browse the web? I am sometimes not able to use any 32 bit internet software while the 64 bit browser works fine. I have to reset the tcp/ip at the command prompt to fix the problem.

Do you have a webcam? Look there, that exact problem is also caused by webcam drivers not working or starting right.

Using XP 32 bit, everything else works fine. Internet, games, etc. WLM is the only thing that is having problems.

Again, it was working fine until I had to kill the process because it froze. After that, it refuses to open even though msnmsngr.exe shows up in the task list. Uninstalling/reinstalling had absolutely no effect on this issue.

System Specs:

E4300 @ 3GHz
2GB ram
74g raptor
Gigabyte 965P-DS3
7900 GTO

Any other specs you want?

I did recently just install a webcam. I'll try reinstalling those drivers; I saw a thread about that on the MSDN forum however it was only regarding an asus laptop with a Bison cam.

*edit*
I was using the webcam for a few days before this problem occured, so I'm not sure if it's the webcam. The problem is flaky at best :T Also the webcam is working as I checked with the logitech software.

So, again, not sure if it's the webcam or not.

Updated status:

I got it working again by uninstalling, deleting all the msn folders I could find, removing registry entries and reinstalling. Was a huge huge pain in the ass, but it worked.

As soon as I tried to set up the audio/video settings (I intended to use it for a voice chat) WLM froze on me. I uninstalled the webcam but still wanted to try to configure the audio. That worked until I tied to make a call, where WLM froze again. A few tries later and it stopped working again completely.

So it's not the webcam since that was uninstalled, and if I can't use it for voice chats (which it was working perfectly for up until today) it's confusing as hell.

Anyone have any ideas?

Fixed it again by deleting the registry values, however, whenever I try to go to audio/video settings, I try to voice call someone, or someone tries to voice call me, it freezes.

Great :T

Is someone who has WLM 8.1 and is able to use audio and video for chat able to post their MSNMessenger registry values?

It's located under HKCU I believe. I'm hoping maybe it's just an invalid setting in that folder causing the endless cycle of problems.

Back