Windows keeps disabling Aero

Kurak

Limp Gawd
Hi guys,

When I alt tab WoW, or when I'm just watching netflix, Windows determines I don't have enough available resources and reduces my "color scheme" thus disabling aero and nice things like Vsync.

Specs in sig, there is no reason this should be happening, my computer can handle any current game, it can definitely handle Aero.

Thanks

Which version of Windows are you using and are your drivers up to date?

You could try uninstalling and reinstalling graphics drivers. Also check the programs you running in background, some older programs cant run while Aero is enabled.

I have this happen sometimes too, I think it has to do with alt-tabbing and the aero peek of the game you're playing dropping your graphics performance enough to raise a red flag to windows. I don't believe it to be a problem, just a quirk with how aero works. I have had it using both AMD and Nvidia cards btw.

windows should automatically disable aero when any gpu accelerated application is opened when you are on single display.. multi display it works maybe 10% of the time and only when using dx10/11.. my guess though is its doing it because AMD is a bit over aggressive with its clock changes. so when you alt tab out of the game the card instantly drops to 2D clocks at the desktop so windows freaks out and screw with aero in an attempt to fix something that isn't broken. you could test it by forcing 3D clocks and alt tabbing and see if it happens again.

there is no real way to fix it without permanently disabling aero by using the windows basic under the personalize option when you right click your desktop. this is what i did since aero uses 98mb(single display) 158mb(dual display) video memory and i only have 512mb available so..

Last edited:
Mine does it 100% of the time when I alt tab games. I finally just gave in and run Basic since it's so damn annoying.

That happens to me way too much as well... I also get the "Windows 7 Has Detected Your Computer's Performance Is Slow" and it's driving me nuts !!!! Do any of you get that as well?

This happens when you run out of VRam. This happens to me when I launch BF3; I have 1 GB VRam. Windows aero takes up to 300 mb peak. If you run an application that needs lots of VRam, windows aero gets disabled automatically to give you that extra 300 mb.

That happens to me way too much as well... I also get the "Windows 7 Has Detected Your Computer's Performance Is Slow" and it's driving me nuts !!!! Do any of you get that as well?

yes.. but if you get the window asking you what you want to do, just click ignore and don't warn me anymore. so it will always stay in aero until the next time you restart your computer.

This happens when you run out of VRam. This happens to me when I launch BF3; I have 1 GB VRam. Windows aero takes up to 300 mb peak. If you run an application that needs lots of VRam, windows aero gets disabled automatically to give you that extra 300 mb.

it should, but i don't think its directly related to it. even i would get the message in dx10 games while on the menu screen using a whole 150mb of vram. i've never actually seen aero exceed 158mb on its own maybe it does with 4 or more displays.

Happens to me sometimes, too. Annoying. How can I be "low on resources" with 12 GB of RAM?

:rolleyes: to you, Windows 7.

I get this too with my system. I disabled desktop composition on the shortcuts to my games. Aero reverts back to normal again when i leave the game.

Have you tried running the 64-bit client and seeing if it does it also?

Do you run it fullscreen or windowed?

64 bit Win 7. All games are run fullscreen. If i need to alt tab out for any reason, I get the message. I just run Win 7 basic to keep it from displaying that annoying message.

I had this annoying error too with my 6870 (probably more driver related though). I haven't had this happen yet with my current setup.

Glad im not the only one. This happens ALL THE TIME while playing bf3. 2gb vram and 16gb dram. Windows says my system is slowing down but it's not. Real annoying.

Glad im not the only one. This happens ALL THE TIME while playing bf3. 2gb vram and 16gb dram. Windows says my system is slowing down but it's not. Real annoying.

It still happens even at 2 GB Vram? Wow lol

Oh I meant any game like BF3, SWTOR, etc. I don't play WoW. Sorry I misunderstood your question.

:)

I would also disable hardware acceleration for flash or any media players. It can lower the clock speeds of your GPU.

For example on my 5870 if i have it enabled for flash it will change the clock speeds to 600mhz down from 850mhz and the memory to 900mhz from 1200mhz. It does the same for any hardware acceleration for watching videos like H.264.

SWTOR also has a Windowed(fullscreen) option which should make alt-tabbing not a problem.

Back