Windows Home Server needs a broadband connection?

mcravenufo

Ravenufo's Macs
I am thinking about buying WHS.
However, on the Microsoft eval page it says it needs a broadband connection:

To run Windows Home Server, your home network must meet the following minimum requirements:

* Internet broadband router/firewall device with a 100 Mbps or faster wired Ethernet connection for your home server
* Windows Home Server assumes that your home computers get their IP address from the router/firewall device on your home network
* Broadband connection (fees may apply)

Is this really necessary?

(No, broadband is not available to me and probably never will be.)

Your backups would take forever if you don't have a local network...I think they are saying that for the people who are just connected via phone lines

btw how do you live with only dialup i would die without broadband

I do have a local network of 100 Mbps or faster wired Ethernet connection (5 machines). I was wondering if it needs a broadband internet connection and why?

its because most people just have routers, no switches. Cost wise its cheaper for a router anyway.

I don't see why it would as long as your not trying to connect from the outside. It'll give you errors though when you try to register your domain to an IP and it tests for connectivity.

I don't think it needs it all you need is the local network. Updates for the server will take a while though.

AH I see why. Its needs an IP address from a DHCP server to work

As long as you're handing out IPs and your internal DNS works properly, you should be ok.

I would guess the requirement for a broadband connection would be if you used the features for hosting files over the internet or remotely logging in via the internet. I believe those are two features that it has and it may have more that would require a broadband connection.

I see no reason why you would need a broadband connection for the non-internet based features and utilities.

why do you use smoothwall ?

I use Smoothwall because it contains the modem and stays connected 24/7 while the other computers are networked to it for internet. At first I was using Internet connection sharing from one of my PC's but Windows wasn't stable enough and I had to occasionally shutdown that PC. Smoothwall rarely needs to be rebooted.

You can download the 30 day trial and give it a shot just to be sure!

Back