Windows Home Server 2011---Server Backups over Network

First you need to have a location where your backing up to. Do you have another server or network location (NAS?) that you are backing up to?

Check to see if it supports CIFS shares, and if so, then it'll support Windows and you need to verify permissions.

Check to see if it supports CIFS shares, and if so, then it'll support Windows and you need to verify permissions.
I think it's more commonly known as SMB.

OP, set up a share on the NAS and assign permission to allow Everyone (just to get started). Then go to a PC on your network and see if you can navigate to the share using \\nasname\sharename. If you can see that, then Windows Server backup should be able to see it.

As silly as it sounds, I thought WHS would NOT backup to network shares, only local drives. Am I mistaken?

As silly as it sounds, I thought WHS would NOT backup to network shares, only local drives. Am I mistaken?
I'm only going based on my knowledge of Server 2008R2, which Windows Backups allow network share. WHS is built on that technology, but perhaps Microsoft disabled that ability. :eek:

Back