Windows Home Server 2011---Server Backups over Network

bigdogchris

Fully [H]
First you need to have a location where your backing up to. Do you have another server or network location (NAS?) that you are backing up to?

boss99

2[H]4U
Check to see if it supports CIFS shares, and if so, then it'll support Windows and you need to verify permissions.

bigdogchris

Fully [H]
Check to see if it supports CIFS shares, and if so, then it'll support Windows and you need to verify permissions.
I think it's more commonly known as SMB.

OP, set up a share on the NAS and assign permission to allow Everyone (just to get started). Then go to a PC on your network and see if you can navigate to the share using \\nasname\sharename. If you can see that, then Windows Server backup should be able to see it.

Grimham

[H]ard|Gawd
As silly as it sounds, I thought WHS would NOT backup to network shares, only local drives. Am I mistaken?

bigdogchris

Fully [H]
As silly as it sounds, I thought WHS would NOT backup to network shares, only local drives. Am I mistaken?
I'm only going based on my knowledge of Server 2008R2, which Windows Backups allow network share. WHS is built on that technology, but perhaps Microsoft disabled that ability. :eek: