WIndows Domain, where can i get a cheap test domain?

Hey all,

Ive been working on networking for a few years in college and stuff, but ive just started dabbling with E-mail useing Novell, now moving into exchange server.

The thing is its always been internal email. I want to try my hand it a proper e-mail system that works with the outside world to. the question is where can i get a domain from? i know i can just go to an online registrar 9pelling?) and register a domain, however since i have an ADSL broadband connection my IP CAN change (it usually stays the same, but its not officially static) is there a good place to register where i can change the IP it points to, and still use it in a windows or other domain?

Thanks

Try Domain Direct, they have an great control panel.
You edit zone files to change the ip address.

You can use a dynamic IP addressing system like www.no-ip.com or you can set your TTL low and change it when your IP changes. However, a lot of ISPs don't really pay those much mind, so I'd go with a dynamic DNS service. Or get a static.

dyndns.org is also a good dynamic DNS service. They actually have alot of nice services. You can also register domains through them, although I have no idea on the pricing.
One thing you might want to look at, get a registrar where you can manually change all your DNS entries, like A names and MX records. That is the main reason I have stuck with network solutions despite their high prices... that and I don't pay for it.

I have used both dyndns and no-ip.com and like no-ip.com way better. They have their own software that you run a Windows PC or a Linux PC on your network that updates your IP, where as dyndns you have to use 3rd party programs, some of which are free.

No-IP is just less of a hassle and both are free.

Met-AL said:
where as dyndns you have to use 3rd party programs, some of which are free.

That is a good point. The 3rd party program selection is kind of a pain.

Met-AL said:
I have used both dyndns and no-ip.com and like no-ip.com way better. They have their own software that you run a Windows PC or a Linux PC on your network that updates your IP, where as dyndns you have to use 3rd party programs, some of which are free.

No-IP is just less of a hassle and both are free.

Concur.

Darkstar850 said:
One thing you might want to look at, get a registrar where you can manually change all your DNS entries, like A names and MX records. That is the main reason I have stuck with network solutions despite their high prices... that and I don't pay for it.

GoDaddy.com is the cheapest and you can manually edit zone files. Boo-yah!

With No-IP.com I belive last time I logged in they had a service where you can have them host DNS for your domain, and have it change IP addresses automatically when you get your new address.

I think this is a pay service, but it looked reasonablly priced.

With no-ip you can use their service for free if you just do something like foo.no-ip.com , I had them for a while back in the day. Good service. Also if you have a firewall like smoothwall, or some routers do it too I think, you can have them update the service.

ShimmyT said:
With no-ip you can use their service for free if you just do something like foo.no-ip.com , I had them for a while back in the day. Good service. Also if you have a firewall like smoothwall, or some routers do it too I think, you can have them update the service.

IPCop does this also with several dynamic dns providers.

Back