Windows does not recognize dual core, help!

patriot71

Gawd
I installed an X2 4200 and I dont think windows is utilizing my 2nd core. Device manager shows to cores, but I only have 1 listed in the task manager and I have no options to set the affinity on any programs. I have applied the AMD Optimization patch and the microsoft daul core hotfix but I still have had no luck. This is not a fresh install of windows.

In the dual core gaming thread, someone mentioned my problem but no one gave that person the solution.

System Specs
X2 4200
DFI SLI DR w/ new latest bios

patriot71 said:
I installed an X2 4200 and I dont think windows is utilizing my 2nd core. Device manager shows to cores, but I only have 1 listed in the task manager and I have no options to set the affinity on any programs. I have applied the AMD Optimization patch and the microsoft daul core hotfix but I still have had no luck. This is not a fresh install of windows.

In the dual core gaming thread, someone mentioned my problem but no one gave that person the solution.

You may have to change to the MP HAL. There's a guide to do it somewhere. Search for it on Google. I don't remember how to do it, but I've read up on it about a year os so ago trying to get HyperThreading working in XP.

Me personally, I'd just do a backup and reinstall Windows. There is a way around this like Ryan stated but I've never done it.

If your bios, drivers are all up to date and it's still not working then a reinstall should sort the problem.

I may be wrong but does Task Manager only list one processor anyway? I'm not sure I'm yet to upgrade to dual core

You have to go from Uniprocessor to ACPI Multiprocessor.

If you don't have Multiprocessor listed under Computer in Device Manager, then you need to do some googlin' to find out how to force it :)

spicey said:
If your bios, drivers are all up to date and it's still not working then a reinstall should sort the problem.

I may be wrong but does Task Manager only list one processor anyway? I'm not sure I'm yet to upgrade to dual core

Task manager will show two CPU utilization graphs under the performance tab.

I think the simplest solution would be to either completely reformat and reinstall or just do a repair install.

Is ACPI turned on in your BIOS? If it is on and was on during the install of Windows, it should have detected your SMP CPU and be ok. Now if you turned off ACPI when installing Windows, I think you may be SOL and need to reinstall Windows.. and leave ACPI turned on.

To change HALS -

Right click the "ACPI Uniprocessor PC" entry under the Computer heading in the Device Manager.
Select "Properties"
Click "Driver" tab.
Click "Update driver"
Select "Next"
Select the "Display a list of the known etc etc" radio button.
Click "Next"
Select "Show all hardware of this device class"
Select "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" in right had pane.

Follow it through to the logical end.

Reboot.

It works.

What you shouldn't do is change from an ACPI HAL to a non-ACPI HAL, or vice versa.
Leads to all sorts of problems.

I think you also need XP SP2 to be able to see both cores in windows.

luke51087 said:
im hoping this works, as im about to do it on my desktop in a week or 2

About to go Dual Core?

OP- good luck. Once you get through this, i bet you will enjoy the machine. :)

yeah i bought a 4200x2 939 to replace my 3500+ and was reading about this, pretty sure my 3500+ was running it on ACPI uniproccessor so i shouldnt have an issue right?

luke51087 said:
yeah i bought a 4200x2 939 to replace my 3500+ and was reading about this, pretty sure my 3500+ was running it on ACPI uniproccessor so i shouldnt have an issue right?

You "shouldn't", but as usual, always best to backup whatever you can't afford to lose.

Originally I just switched HALs, but never quite got it 100% totally stable, a re-install fixed ALL my problems.

luke51087 said:

It's a crapshoot really. You may have to install the multiprocessor HAL, or it may already be there. I' m not sure why some have to reinstall the ACPI driver and some don't, but it's nothing to do with ACPI in the BIOS. Well it does if you have ACPI turned off in BIOS, but most people just leave it on since it's the default, and they may stil have problems with XP seeing two cores..

I'm going form a 3000+ Vencie to a 3800+ Manchester in a couples days (when UPS decides to quit leaving my box in NJ). I'l let you all know how it fares for me.

Multiprocessor HAL is already there, you just have to tell Windows to use it. (through method I posted above).

What bugs me is that MS isn't going to update Win 2k to recognize difference between CPU's and cores.
So when I eventually go either 4x4 or quad core I'll have to change OS.

Weescotty said:
Multiprocessor HAL is already there, you just have to tell Windows to use it. (through method I posted above).

Which is why I said it was a crapshoot. Sometimes Windows will work with both cores right after the upgrade, sometimes it'll act stupid and you have to follow your guide.

yeah i was debating about reinstalling but i have a lot of crap on my pc, then again it might seem better to after i read more and more about experiances

Weescotty said:
To change HALS -

Right click the "ACPI Uniprocessor PC" entry under the Computer heading in the Device Manager.
Select "Properties"
Click "Driver" tab.
Click "Update driver"
Select "Next"
Select the "Display a list of the known etc etc" radio button.
Click "Next"
Select "Show all hardware of this device class"
Select "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" in right had pane.

Follow it through to the logical end.

Reboot.

Cheers, I'll remember to do this when upgrading.

Back