Windows desktop PC + Mac laptop?

Quiz

Gawd
Just wondering if there are people here who have a Windows desktop gaming PC but a Mac for their laptop instead of a Windows based laptop? How do you like working or doing whatever it is you do on the Mac?

The reason I am asking is because it seems, in the laptop realm, Apple makes tends to make the best hardware. I really like the build quality of Mac laptops especially their trackpads.

I have a Windows Gaming rig on my desk, and an 11 inch Macbook Air for my portable. The combination works out fairly well, and there are lots of advantages to having a Unix OS on my portable computer.

I support both at work, so having access to both platforms is nice, if a bit expensive to get both.
At the end of the day, it all comes down to your own preferences xD

Are the new MacBook Pros going to be announced and be available during the Apple event on the 21st of this month?

god I hope so. They are in dire need of a refresh at the moment.

Realistically.... we don't know for sure anything until the event hits xD

I currently have a Sony VAIO Pro 13. Works fine and looks good but still wonder how a Mac laptop would be.

I would opt for a Dell XPS laptop, I went from a rMBP to a Dell XPS 15 and couldn't be more happy.

I currently have a Sony VAIO Pro 13. Works fine and looks good but still wonder how a Mac laptop would be.

I've since switched to a Surface Pro, but I did what you're asking about for a while. It worked out OK, but I probably wouldn't do it again unless I had a particular need to run software that only exists for OSX, and I also desperately needed a new laptop at the time. In my case, that piece of software was Xcode, and I really didn't like using that on a laptop anyway. The real reason I switched away, though, was that the Macbook Pro I had kept breaking in ways that rendered it unusable, frequently while I was traveling and needed it the most.

My advice, if you need a desktop and a laptop, is to look at similarly priced Windows machines. The non-Apple laptop marques have all stepped up their hardware game in the last few years, and I think they're better than Apple now, even if you don't get as much hipster street cred being seen using it at Starbucks.

In my limited sample size, almost every Mac I've dealt with eventually suffers a catastrophic hardware failure of some sort, frequently right after the warranty expires. My feeling is that Apple does a really good job of making their hardware feel well made, but sacrifices a lot in terms of the durability of the stuff inside that you don't think about, like the ribbon cable that connects the graphics card to the display.

I've since switched to a Surface Pro, but I did what you're asking about for a while. It worked out OK, but I probably wouldn't do it again unless I had a particular need to run software that only exists for OSX, and I also desperately needed a new laptop at the time. In my case, that piece of software was Xcode, and I really didn't like using that on a laptop anyway. The real reason I switched away, though, was that the Macbook Pro I had kept breaking in ways that rendered it unusable, frequently while I was traveling and needed it the most.

My advice, if you need a desktop and a laptop, is to look at similarly priced Windows machines. The non-Apple laptop marques have all stepped up their hardware game in the last few years, and I think they're better than Apple now, even if you don't get as much hipster street cred being seen using it at Starbucks.

In my limited sample size, almost every Mac I've dealt with eventually suffers a catastrophic hardware failure of some sort, frequently right after the warranty expires. My feeling is that Apple does a really good job of making their hardware feel well made, but sacrifices a lot in terms of the durability of the stuff inside that you don't think about, like the ribbon cable that connects the graphics card to the display.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is also the fact that a Mac's warranty tops out at 2 years (standard + AppleCare). Lenovo, Dell and HP all have 5 year options. With the way we constantly reassign laptops/have laptops with 8 year useful spans, having a warranty that covers accidental damage for 5 years of that is nice.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is also the fact that a Mac's warranty tops out at 2 years (standard + AppleCare). Lenovo, Dell and HP all have 5 year options. With the way we constantly reassign laptops/have laptops with 8 year useful spans, having a warranty that covers accidental damage for 5 years of that is nice.

I think you can get up to 3 or 4 years' worth of AppleCare, but this is a valid point, too. If the Dell comes with a 5 year warranty, you have to add 2 or 3 hundred bucks to the price of the comparable Mac to have a fair comparison in that regard.

I think you can get up to 3 or 4 years' worth of AppleCare, but this is a valid point, too. If the Dell comes with a 5 year warranty, you have to add 2 or 3 hundred bucks to the price of the comparable Mac to have a fair comparison in that regard.
Just checked. It is 3 years.

For the record, I have nothing against Apple's computers. My work laptop is a rMBP, and when I leave here I'll likely purchase a rMBP of my own. But that's only because I like the look and feel of the device, not because I feel it is a "better" device from a performance or financial perspective. If you want a Macbook, get a Macbook.

I love my Asus UX31A. I've put this ultrabook through hell, and it keeps on keepin on.
I've owned a crap load of laptops over the years, and this has been my favorite. I've had it for four or five years now. I'll be buying another when this one starts to show age

What ultrabook has the best speakers and headphone out sound quality?

Back