Windows Deployment and Imaging Process

StarsFan4Life

Limp Gawd
Hello all. I am here to hopefully get a bit of help on imaging and deploying images to machines. Currently I image PC's using a WinPE boot cd, ImageX and .wim image files. It was my former bosses job to create the images for me so I could deploy them. He has since been let go from the company so it up to me now to create, maintain and delpoy Windows XP images to the following Dell Optiplex machines:

GX260
GX270
GX280
GX620

I want to get a better understanding of what actually is being done here. Currently, I take a full image file (a .wim image file that contains an image for the C: and D: drives - C:\ for OS and software, D:\ for Documents and Settings or user profiles) and apply it to a machine using the following steps:

-----------------------------------------------
Section 2: Imaging
-----------------------------------------------

(Note: PC must boot to CD first. You can change this setting in the BIOS by hitting F2 or to manually change the boot by hitting F12 during bootup screen)

1. Insert the "Imaging CD" into the cd-rom.

2. Turn on machine and boot to CD.

3. Allow for the following prompt to appear"

X:\Windows\System32\wpeinit
X:\Windows\System32:

Once this has appeared you can not type the following commands in to Format and Partition the drive accordingly:

Format and Partition Drive:

diskpart "enter"

select disk 0 "enter"

clean "enter"

create partition primary size=20000 "enter"

format fs=ntfs label="C-Drive" quick "enter"

create part pri "enter"

format fs=ntfs label="D-Drive" quick "enter"

assign letter="F" "enter"

select part 1 "enter"

active "enter"

exit "enter"

Apply Image:

Use the following commands to apply the images to the hard drive:

net use r: \\svrderkaderka\reminst /users:us\username "enter" (server where images are stored)

**You will then be prompted to enter your network password. Enter it and press enter.**

Imagex /apply r:\images\xp\xxx.wim 1 c:\ "enter" (xxx is replaced by the image file name)

Imagex /apply r:\images\xp\xxx.wim 2 f:\ "enter" (xxx is replaced by the image file name)

exit "enter"

Once confirmation has completed and the program is exiting, take the cd out so the computer does not boot to CD.

Now, I have started to understand how to "capture" and image of a machine after I reformat, install the OS, install software and configure the machine to our specifications (but not joining this machine to the domain). One problem I have with this is I configure the machine to have a C: and D: drive like the previous images have, but I am not able to capture and combine two images into one image file (at least I am not sure how to). I use the following steps to "capture" the image of the machine:

---------------------------
Capture Image
---------------------------

net use r: \\svrderkaderka\reminst /users:us\username "enter"

**You will then be prompted to enter your network password. Enter it and press enter.**

imagex /capture C: r:\svrderkaderka\images\xp\xxx.wim "Drive C" /verify

imagex /capture D: r:\svrderkaderka\images\xp\xxx.wim "Drive C" /verify

Now, with this said, I am not sure if doing this will cause a problem with the SID if I install in on multiple machines on the domain. I am not exactly sure how to obtain and impliment the sysprep tool that avoids the SID problem.

Essentially I have a basic understanding of creating and applying an image using ImageX. What I would like to do is become an expert at it. I want to be able to find the easiest way to take a machine (any model), build it to our corporate standards, capture an image of it and deploy the image to multiple machines across the company. I would also like to know if there is a way I can do this over the network rather that have to walk users in other offices through the steps of applying the image. All in all I just want to make my job easier.

Is ImageX the best way to do this or is there a better more efficent way? My current boss is looking into Configuration Manager, but I am not sure on this right now. Please help with any suggestions, pointers, tips or comments!

i dont like the method you use, because it seems like a royal pain in the ass. i also don't do the whole multiple partition stuff, so that method you use might be necessary in your case.

either way, i set up the client computers to boot from network. once they do, they're prompted to either:
deploy image
or
create image

if you hit deploy, you get a screen that looks exactly like the vista installation screen. you pick the image you want, format the drive, and it does the rest.

before i create an image, i set the computer up how i like. i copy the sysprep folder from the xp cd onto the c: under c:\sysprep - within that, i run setupmgr to create an unattended installation config. it looks like this:

Code:
;SetupMgrTag
[Unattended]
    OemSkipEula=Yes
    InstallFilesPath=C:\sysprep\i386

[GuiUnattended]
    AdminPassword="pwhere"
    EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
    OEMSkipRegional=1
    TimeZone=35
    OemSkipWelcome=1

[UserData]
    ProductKey=xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
    FullName="company name"
    OrgName="company name"

[SetupMgr]
    DistFolder=C:\sysprep\i386
    DistShare=windist

[Identification]
    JoinDomain=domain.local
    DomainAdmin=domainadmin
    DomainAdminPassword=domainpass

[Networking]
    InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

i then run sysprep, set it to reseal, and shutdown the computer.

turn the computer back on, boot from network, select capture image.

vista setup screen appears and lets me save the image to the server automatically.

that was an extremely quick rundown. if you need any info, just ask. i set the whole thing up where i work.

Man, can you throughly explain your whole process? You would help me out tremendously as I am currently working 3-4 positions after our company laid off 80% of our IT staff back in March.

i used a shitload of tutorials when i first jumped in. to thoroughly explain the whole thing would take me days to type out...

the biggest thing is the configuration of the server. from there on out, you pretty much leave it alone.

i'm also deploying XP as the OS, which makes things a little trickier. vista is MUCH easier to deploy. to make things easy for myself, if i have new software i need to deploy, i just grab an imaged machine, install what i need on it, and then re-capture that image and replace the old one. with vista, i believe you can install patches, etc on the image file itself. not sure though.

i followed a ton of turorials, but i can give you a break down of what you need to get started:
1. a server running server 2003 sp2 with two partitions. one for the OS and one for the images. (might want to make that second partition pretty big)
2. a windows vista cd
3. admin access to your dhcp server
4. a shitload of time and patience

follow along with this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766320.aspx (i never followed any of the commandline crap here, everything i did through the gui)

1. i installed server 2003 sp4 with all windows updates, went into control panel, add/remove programs, windows features/components, and added windows deployment services.
2. start > control panel > administrative tools > windows deployment services (you'll have to do an initial setup, i dont remember what it looks like, but it's easy)
3. go to boot images > add boot image > grab your vista dvd, toss it in, and find boot.wim on the dvd - go through that shit
3. this should create a windows pe image under boot images, right click on that and create capture boot image - go through that shit and name it capture image
4. create a new boot image and find install.wim and use that - name it deployment image
(i dont know if this step is correct, i honestly forget)

that should at least get you on the right track. you'll have to set up your dhcp to point to the wds server when you boot from network:

"Add DHCP options 66 and 67. Option 66 should be set to the Windows Deployment Services server, and option 67 should be set to boot\x86\wdsnbp.com."

from there you should be able to at least boot from the network and hit the wds server...sorry for such a terrible post, i'm pressed for time. post and q's you may have

i used a shitload of tutorials when i first jumped in. to thoroughly explain the whole thing would take me days to type out...

the biggest thing is the configuration of the server. from there on out, you pretty much leave it alone.

i'm also deploying XP as the OS, which makes things a little trickier. vista is MUCH easier to deploy. to make things easy for myself, if i have new software i need to deploy, i just grab an imaged machine, install what i need on it, and then re-capture that image and replace the old one. with vista, i believe you can install patches, etc on the image file itself. not sure though.

i followed a ton of turorials, but i can give you a break down of what you need to get started:
1. a server running server 2003 sp2 with two partitions. one for the OS and one for the images. (might want to make that second partition pretty big)
2. a windows vista cd
3. admin access to your dhcp server
4. a shitload of time and patience

follow along with this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766320.aspx (i never followed any of the commandline crap here, everything i did through the gui)

1. i installed server 2003 sp4 with all windows updates, went into control panel, add/remove programs, windows features/components, and added windows deployment services.
2. start > control panel > administrative tools > windows deployment services (you'll have to do an initial setup, i dont remember what it looks like, but it's easy)
3. go to boot images > add boot image > grab your vista dvd, toss it in, and find boot.wim on the dvd - go through that shit
3. this should create a windows pe image under boot images, right click on that and create capture boot image - go through that shit and name it capture image
4. create a new boot image and find install.wim and use that - name it deployment image

that should at least get you on the right track. you'll have to set up your dhcp to point to the wds server when you boot from network:

"Add DHCP options 66 and 67. Option 66 should be set to the Windows Deployment Services server, and option 67 should be set to boot\x86\wdsnbp.com."

from there you should be able to at least boot from the network and hit the wds server...sorry for such a terrible post, i'm pressed for time. post and q's you may have

I am deploying Windows XP. Do I still need a Windows Vista dvd?

1. i installed server 2003 sp4

you mean 2003 sp2 !!!

yeah i dont know where that 4 came from...my bad

and yes, you still need the vista disk. you can use something else in place of it, says it in that tutorial - but i ran into issues with it -

Milenko,

Thanks for the information man. I will get a machine up and running with Server 2003 and SP2 and start on this. So windows deployment services is already a component that is installed (but not enabled) in Windows Server 2003? I thought that was a whole separate download, maybe I was wrong!

You can use the XP sysprep on Vista? Your post seemed to imply that.

no no, sorry i didn't mean to imply that.

earlier in my posts i explained that i was still deploying xp to the clients - that is where the xp sysprep came into play. sorry for the confusion.

StarsFan4Life: WDS is part of SP2 - RIS is part of earlier versions of server 2003

Man, this sucks!

I am at step 3 of the below steps, I have the Vista disk....but the optical drive is a CD-ROM! Vista is on a DVD. What else can I do?

can you somehow get that file off the dvd and transfer it using the network? you need that

Back