Windows 8 WOW!

dinlee23

Gawd
enough with the bashing... i just got my lappy today and let me tell you windows 8 is amazing... i have 7 installed in my older c2d laptop which i think is still very capable. Honestly windows 8 is pretty good. The search function makes everything so accessible and easy to find. When i first started i was a bit confused but the intuitive desktop mode and search function makes up for the confusion the app screen throws at you. In all i got the bloat ware uninstalled and the laptop setup in a mere 10 mins. All in all i say windows 8 is a pretty good OS :)

But....you've only played with it for a day. Sorry, but that is as valid to the much larger argument as those who've installed it for a day in VM, or read a hundred reviews without thoroughly playing with it who hate what it does/looks like.

Without playing with it day-in, day-out for at least a month most arguments are invalid and just complaints or riding a euphoric buzz from initial reactions.

But....you've only played with it for a day. Sorry, but that is as valid to the much larger argument as those who've installed it for a day in VM, or read a hundred reviews without thoroughly playing with it who hate what it does/looks like.

Without playing with it day-in, day-out for at least a month most arguments are invalid and just complaints or riding a euphoric buzz from initial reactions.

How many hundreds of people have posted on this site that they tried Windows 8 for 1 day, hated it, and switched back to Windows 7.

How many hundreds of people have posted on this site that they tried Windows 8 for 1 day, hated it, and switched back to Windows 7.

A-LOT! One of the things that pisses me off because it takes away from the legitimate responses that do not favor Windows 8, instead filling the debate with useless one-liners.

I've been using Windows 8 at work now for 2 weeks and I love the improvements to the desktop. The new start menu though, I can not see any point to on the desktop without a touch screen. It might be cooler if there were some integration between the desktop and start menu, but no, they're completely separate. Soon, I shall install it at home on an SSD and marvel at the speed. Maybe even get a Surface RT to live on the coffee table.

ppl keep saying that on w7 they use the search to quickly launch applications, but lets be honest
trying to get to the execute to launch a program in w7 /vista is pain. start/programs files/ subfolder subfolder / execute.

While the w8 start menu u can set it up and easily remove the non execute files and get to the executes
in two quick press of windows key and 1 mouse click and that's on a desktop.

yeahhhhhhhhh.. much faster to click on the start button write the 3 first letter of an execute and pressing enter....

As for programs in full screen for browsers, i've always thought it was counter-intuative to have a big
bar at the top and bottom of the screen. That's why i always have auto hide taskbar on.

Change is good sometimes (maybe not hidding the power off button under 2 context menu...)

All in all i say windows 8 is a pretty good OS :)
Congrats on the new lappy! Here's hoping it gives you years of service!

Windows 8 can be a pretty big change from earlier versions of Windows, so you may well want to check out the "Get Started" section in Help. Hit F1 from the desktop to call up Windows Help and Support, or just search for "help" and click on the "Help and Support" option when it appears in the search results. Spend five or ten minutes reading the various topics and you'll find the answers to a lot of questions you may have.

enough with the bashing... i just got my lappy today and let me tell you windows 8 is amazing...

so, just like all the bashers (ok, not all, but you get the point), you're trying to say your opinion is a fact, and not opinion? And that others' opinions don't matter because you say it's amazing, and your opinion is a fact?

so, just like all the bashers (ok, not all, but you get the point), you're trying to say your opinion is a fact, and not opinion? And that others' opinions don't matter because you say it's amazing, and your opinion is a fact?

what im trying to say here is that windows 8 isnt as bad as people make it to be... humor mate humor lol

When it comes to loving or hating Windows 8 or anything it mostly is a matter of opinion. I don't get this argument that somehow anyone is trying to make their opinion a fact, as though that's possible.

what im trying to say here is that windows 8 isnt as bad as people make it to be... humor mate humor lol

I don't see who it could be, according to some it is like nothing works and everything is unusable. Clearly that's not the case.

5 Stages of ..

1. It's not so bad, I thought it would be worse, I could totally see myself using this.
  2. God damnit! Why would they get rid of this feature?! It was so useful, removing it is just asinine!
  3. Well I guess I can use it on a tablet or laptop, something, it's pretty useful for that right?
  4. Wow, I can't believe this is it for the next 3 years..
  5. FUCK THIS SHIT! "format c:"

I activated Windows 8 four months ago on my laptop and gaming rig.

I still use Windows 8 on both. Without issue, without third party Start buttons, without drops in productivity. My games run great, Office 2013 runs great, I have some ModernUI apps that are fine and I go about my day without raging about a missing button.

When it comes to loving or hating Windows 8 or anything it mostly is a matter of opinion. I don't get this argument that somehow anyone is trying to make their opinion a fact, as though that's possible.

OP''s first line is "don't bash windows 8, it's amazing"
that's trying to make your opinion sound as fact.
A lot of the people bashing it, are not in favor of the new UI.
Why should I not bash on something I disagree with, just because OP does agree with it?

it certainly doesn't help that there's a bajillion Win8 threads around here and we certainly didn't need another one (whether it's bashing or praising)

Why should I not bash on something I disagree with, just because OP does agree with it?

it certainly doesn't help that there's a bajillion Win8 threads around here and we certainly didn't need another one (whether it's bashing or praising)

I think this is taking things a too literally. I don't think that because someone says "don't bash X" that they are commanding others not to actually bash it, as though anyone would expect people to obey a command.

didnt you see my reply about having humor in my statement sheesh... people now a days

The new start menu though, I can not see any point to on the desktop without a touch screen.

A touchscreen does make the navigation better, in my opinion. However, there are several input devices, for the desktop/laptop, that can improve the experience. Logitech makes a couple mice, and a wireless touchpad that allow you to use gestures to bring up the charms, switch between applications, etc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL3UGTD2ES0

I like my small start menu list, I like being able to see 50 items at once, I don't like giant squares with pretty images on them that take up a needless amount of space on my screen. Just my opinion though.

Use it for a while and you will realize the start screen (at this stage of the game) is not being utilized for all it could be.

Windows 8 suffers from the same setbacks as the first android and apple phones, LACK OF SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT.

The whole start screen concept is a good one, and is functional, but not supported or properly utilized by many applications. There are many "apps" out there that simply place a icon on the start screen, which ignores the entire purpose of the start screen. The start screen is supposed to be interactive and informative, not static.

Give the world some time to come out with software that actually uses the start screen to it's full potential and suddenly people will start to like windows 8.

One change that needs to be made in Windows 8 is the ability for desktop apps to implement Live Tiles. However I'm not sure how this would play nicely with the power constraints put on Live Tiles.

During setup they need a big picture of Windows 7 UI on the left and Windows 8 UI on the right with "Please choose your Windows UI". I think Microsoft likes to think they are like Apple and can force changes on users without blowback. If the gaming industry was whipped by Microsoft, I would sure as hell not use their crap. All they did was take Windows 7, change the UI, and make it a bitch to switch to a different OS.

Use it for a while and you will realize the start screen (at this stage of the game) is not being utilized for all it could be.

Windows 8 suffers from the same setbacks as the first android and apple phones, LACK OF SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT.

The whole start screen concept is a good one, and is functional, but not supported or properly utilized by many applications. There are many "apps" out there that simply place a icon on the start screen, which ignores the entire purpose of the start screen. The start screen is supposed to be interactive and informative, not static.

Give the world some time to come out with software that actually uses the start screen to it's full potential and suddenly people will start to like windows 8.

The tiles is a good idea for tablets and maybe HTPC's but honestly on a work PC it just feels like a desktop with giant icons. I am very used to quickly navigating my PC by just hitting the windows key and typing in the program I want to run and done. No need to completely change what's going on on my display.

No need to completely change what's going on on my display.

That means you are just being stubborn because you don't like change.

I guarantee if you had a start screen that showed your emails from your email client, your schedule and information on other apps you had running, you would be in heaven. The start screen is meant to be customized for the user. The problem is the applications (3rd party) don't take advantage of that in any way, hence no benefit for the end user, hence you being reluctant to change. What you have now works and windows 8 generates no improvement in productivity at this point.

I guarantee if the apps you used utilized the start screen, you would love it. Right now they don't so there is an annoyance generated by the start screen, not usefulness.

Hell, the start screen is a systems administrators dream if it could be utilized by all the monitoring applications.

Windows 8 is not the problem, the person is.

No, the fact that it was pushed out too fast without 3rd party support is. Until all the software companies catch up it doesn't benefit the end user.

Remember how long windows 95 took to be accepted? It happened when software developers started writing software that utilized it's features.

During setup they need a big picture of Windows 7 UI on the left and Windows 8 UI on the right with "Please choose your Windows UI". I think Microsoft likes to think they are like Apple and can force changes on users without blowback. If the gaming industry was whipped by Microsoft, I would sure as hell not use their crap. All they did was take Windows 7, change the UI, and make it a bitch to switch to a different OS.

When it comes to the desktop Microsoft is Apple.

I tried Windows 8 for a while, played around with it on tablets and laptops. While I don't think it's utterly unusable like I did in the beginning, I still think it's a step backwards from Windows 7. Main reason is that Windows 7 has the desktop as the central paradigm, whereas Windows 8 is fragmented, with the desktop, but also launching full-screen apps from the Metro menu, which make the desktop 'app' a useless addition.

In short, I can not think of any reason why Windows 8 would make me more productive or happier.

Constantly doing stupid shit then stubbornly saying no to common sense fixes?

With about 90% of the world desktop OS it's hard to say that Microsoft has done a lot of stupid shit in that area. The release of Windows 8 shows no signs of gaining or losing market share on the desktop.

I tried Windows 8 for a while, played around with it on tablets and laptops. While I don't think it's utterly unusable like I did in the beginning, I still think it's a step backwards from Windows 7. Main reason is that Windows 7 has the desktop as the central paradigm, whereas Windows 8 is fragmented, with the desktop, but also launching full-screen apps from the Metro menu, which make the desktop 'app' a useless addition.

In short, I can not think of any reason why Windows 8 would make me more productive or happier.

If one used Windows 8 on tablets enough it definitely would make one happier than Windows 7.
I just wish someone would tell me what can't be done on the desktop on Windows 8 compared to Windows 7 while considering 3rd party support.

I installed windows 8 on my main machine about a month ago and all I can say is out of the box it is worthless. With Win 7 all the programs I used alot were either on the opening page of my start menu or already a quick launch on my task bar. You nailed it when you said Win 8 has search. Now how is it faster to start typing words then 2 clicks or even 1 click. I ended up buying a dell 15in touch screen through ebay for 80 dollars. Now it is easier and faster to navigate window 8 but in no way as fast to get to you programs as 7 was.

As for the the start menu information blocks, well they are about as annoying as the desktop icons of xp or the side bar gadgets of vista. I have yet figured out how to get rid of them and just give me a list of my programs, documents, and downloads. But I will keep it on my computer because it does load faster than Win 7 did. But I truely wouldn't recommend it for someone to upgrade their computer with. I only finally bit the bullet for good because I was going to loose my free media center pack, which by the way I found out afterwards was not worth it.

ppl keep saying that on w7 they use the search to quickly launch applications, but lets be honest
trying to get to the execute to launch a program in w7 /vista is pain. start/programs files/ subfolder subfolder / execute.

While the w8 start menu u can set it up and easily remove the non execute files and get to the executes
in two quick press of windows key and 1 mouse click and that's on a desktop.

yeahhhhhhhhh.. much faster to click on the start button write the 3 first letter of an execute and pressing enter....

I'm not so sure you have any idea what you're talking about because this functionality works identically in both 7 and 8. I am unwilling to give up 7 on my primary desktop but I've had 8 loaded on my laptop, specifically to learn it, for over 2 months now and I'm mostly happy with it.

I'm not so sure you have any idea what you're talking about because this functionality works identically in both 7 and 8. I am unwilling to give up 7 on my primary desktop but I've had 8 loaded on my laptop, specifically to learn it, for over 2 months now and I'm mostly happy with it.

I think u might wanna re-read my post.

You seemed to have glossed over it and missed the whole part where i point out w7 defenders tend to say the exact opposite. good day sir!

Windows 8 is installed on my laptop and it works great. :cool:

That means you are just being stubborn because you don't like change.

I guarantee if you had a start screen that showed your emails from your email client, your schedule and information on other apps you had running, you would be in heaven. The start screen is meant to be customized for the user. The problem is the applications (3rd party) don't take advantage of that in any way, hence no benefit for the end user, hence you being reluctant to change. What you have now works and windows 8 generates no improvement in productivity at this point.

I guarantee if the apps you used utilized the start screen, you would love it. Right now they don't so there is an annoyance generated by the start screen, not usefulness.

Hell, the start screen is a systems administrators dream if it could be utilized by all the monitoring applications.

Huh? No it's because it's a stupid design decision. If I am working on something in Adobe Premiere, and then I want to bring up something else in Photoshop, I can just hit Win + type "Photoshop" then hit enter and it pops up. In Windows 8 I end up a totally different screen which breaks my concentration and completely takes me out of my "zone" of what I am doing. It's a frustrating change that I am not fond of. There is absolutely no advantage or reason for me to switch to Windows 8 at this point.

Yea, the start screen totally disrupts my mental energy and the interconnected transdimensional vibe I feel from Gaia. Curse MS!

I really don't get this issue about concentration or workflow being broken with the full screen Start Screen. If one launches the Start Screen or Start Menu, the intent is usually to launch another program, do search, etc., in other words you're going away from what you were doing to something else intentionally. However there are any number of ways to launch a program without using the Start Screen, desktop shortcuts, File Explorer, pinned items on the task bar and task bar tool bars.

One multiple monitor systems one advantage the Start Screen has over the old default Start Menu is that the Start Screen can be opened on any monitor.

Of course the Start screen breaks your flow. Any kind of context switch does. The OS is called Windows, not Fullscreen, but MS apparently forgot that.

Of course the Start screen breaks your flow. Any kind of context switch does. The OS is called Windows, not Fullscreen, but MS apparently forgot that.

I realize I say this a lot, but how is that not the best of both worlds? You can choose to use one, the other, or both depending on your needs or desires. It's like buy an umbrella and get a rain coat free, then complaining the rain coat doesn't protect you like the umbrella...

I really don't get this issue about concentration or workflow being broken with the full screen Start Screen. If one launches the Start Screen or Start Menu, the intent is usually to launch another program, do search, etc., in other words you're going away from what you were doing to something else intentionally. However there are any number of ways to launch a program without using the Start Screen, desktop shortcuts, File Explorer, pinned items on the task bar and task bar tool bars.

One multiple monitor systems one advantage the Start Screen has over the old default Start Menu is that the Start Screen can be opened on any monitor.

You are describing 2 very different things. Ever since Vista/Win 7 the OS has become search centric, so the best way to find something is search as you type. Pinning programs/shortcuts is for frequently used apps. When you want to open something, you usually start typing and refine the search results.

Start screen is broken for this, as it takes you away from what you were doing. It is also badly designed because it doesn't show you results - e.g. type 'sleep' and you have to select the Settings heading to see the results, which is not clear or obvious, whereas Win 7 combines everything. At the very least the Os could have selected the section with some results.

Back