Windows 8 UI is Dropping the ‘Start’ Button

Even if you don't like Windows 8 this it's not change for the sake of change. It's change for the sake of allowing Windows to operate well on millions more devices that it doesn't currently.

I think it is quite obvious this is geared towards mobile devices. So what makes you think it will automatically scale to desktops well??? It is Microsoft we are talking about here. This is a port to desktops. Same as everyone complaining about crappy console ports to PC. Win 8s only savior is the tablet / mobile craze. That is all they care about. Hope this does not start a bad trend of going away from power users and desktops.

I think it is quite obvious this is geared towards mobile devices. So what makes you think it will automatically scale to desktops well??? It is Microsoft we are talking about here. This is a port to desktops. Same as everyone complaining about crappy console ports to PC. Win 8s only savior is the tablet / mobile craze. That is all they care about. Hope this does not start a bad trend of going away from power users and desktops.

I don't think you understand what port means. Its all the same Windows foundation that Windows 7 is built on, with some changes to the UI to allow better touch support...

I don't think you understand what port means. Its all the same Windows foundation that Windows 7 is built on, with some changes to the UI to allow better touch support...

Ok bad choice of words. I was not trying to be technical. It sure did not feel like Win 7 to me. It felt like a bloated Win 7. Although it was just the Dev preview.

How is windows 8 bloated? It uses fewer resources than Windows 7. For all this talk of Windows 8 being comprised of "minor" features, what exactly did Windows 7 bring to the table over Windows Vista?

I have had no problem running desktop programs on Windows 8, they all work as they do on Windows 7. There just weren't enough Metro apps in the Developer Preview to get a good feel for how they'll work, plus there were a number of mouse and keyboard issues in the DP. But a couple worked fine with a mouse and keyboard.

We'll know a lot more in three weeks or less.

For all this talk of Windows 8 being comprised of "minor" features, what exactly did Windows 7 bring to the table over Windows Vista?

Libraries; the Super Bar; Aero Snap/Peek/Shake; better theme support; improvements and optimizations to the desktop window manager service; Jumplists; Home Group; built-in VHD and ISO mounting tools; vastly improved multimedia codec support OOB; TRIM support; updated interfaces and functionality for Wordpad, Paint, and Calculator; faster startup; less aggressive resource usage; improved handwriting and multitouch support

How is windows 8 bloated? It uses fewer resources than Windows 7. For all this talk of Windows 8 being comprised of "minor" features, what exactly did Windows 7 bring to the table over Windows Vista?

It's change. No matter what someone is going to call it slow and bloated to justify to themselves their choice to not use it. Just ignore it.

It's change. No matter what someone is going to call it slow and bloated to justify to themselves their choice to not use it. Just ignore it.

Couldn't agree more. Microsoft has demonstrated quite well with the move from Vista to 7 that it could add a lot to Windows and at the same time not only not bloat it up, other than the disk, but make it faster and more efficient. I don't even think around here I've heard anyone say that Vista is faster and more efficient than 7.

I agree. :)

I have been using the Dev version for a while on 4 boxes ranging from my new 5GHz i2500k to and old dual Xeon Netburst based setup and it has worked well. I have had several 12 hr LAN sessions on the 4 boxes at home and it was surprising stable for a pre-beta OS.
I also have it on a 12 thread T3500 at work with Adesk 2012 products, Office 2010 etc. etc.
I have a gesture mouse (which sucks) that I tested Metro with and yes, I hated it.
However, just use TweakUI and don't use Metro. I have gotten use to the new search, and use to just hitting my Windows key. I am not sure why but network transfers seem a bit faster in 8 than in 7. I do like the tweaks to the file copy GUI, the explorer changes, and some other things. We will never go to it at work as it does not fit our needs and once again, I do not really like Metro on a desktop but if there are some nice improvements made to the overall OS then I might pick up a few copies if I can get them cheap enough.
Or maybe just SLIC it. I kid, I kid...don't come and get me Bill Gates. ;)

Couldn't agree more. Microsoft has demonstrated quite well with the move from Vista to 7 that it could add a lot to Windows and at the same time not only not bloat it up, other than the disk, but make it faster and more efficient. I don't even think around here I've heard anyone say that Vista is faster and more efficient than 7.

Unfortunately,they've also demonstrated that they can screw up royally,as with the move from XP to Vista. I'm not saying 8 will be a failure,but it won't be a day one buy for me.

Back