Windows 8 Set For 4th Quarter?

All my PC's are getting updated shortly after RTM.

My media server and all four media center PCs could use a nice fresh UI. I'm interested to see how navigable Metro is with their existing Windows Media Center remotes.

I also want those storage, virtualization, speed, and desktop improvements on my main rig as soon as possible.

I am looking forward to it...

Microsoft seems to get only every OTHER os release right -- W95, not W98, (ignoring ME which most people did), XP but not Vista and now 7 and with the gimmicky metro interface on 8 -- I use a desktop w/a 24" screen not a touchscreen tablet ... I will DEFINITELY skip W8. Esp so since I purchased a licensed copy of W7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Microsoft is hitting 52 week new highs on the NASDAQ today...should have bought more than 5 shares in 1995...

Does someone really have to mention this same shit in every Windows 8 thread?

There's not much interest for actuel Win7 user to "upgrade" to Win8.

However, Win8 will open the door for new generation laptop/Tablet. For instance, I'm the owner of a ASUS Slate EP121 and Win7, well, suck on it. I installed Win8 Dev and I love it and I can assure you that the new generation of "Ultrabook" is gonna be awesome.

So no, it's no too soon. It's too late. We should have seen ultrabook 1-2 years ago.

I have to agree with this and i can't wait for some tablets based on this i love my windows phone it is 1000% more stable than my android phone was and faster to boot. Will still keep Win 7 on most of my machines but will be buying a win8 based tablet for sure. I have had ipads and android tablets and sold them all because they lacked what my phone has shown me.

I am happy with Windows 7. Windows 8 is loaded with widgets and apps, and tablet feature sI will not be using. I'm a minimalist when it comes to software. I just want to play my games and bass ass hardware. I won't be upgrading. I'll get a new version of Windows when I get a new computer.

Hopefully Windows switches to the Chrome/Firefox naming scheme. Each patch Tuesday, +1.

I'll definitely try out Windows 8 in a Virtual machine or spare computer. However, Windows 8 doesn't sound like it offers anything that will compel me to upgrade from Windows 7 - at least on the PC.

If someone sells a Windows 8 tablet with a Stylus and OneNote then I'll be far more interested.

Windows 8 is Vista II

I rather liked Vista.... AFTER the first 9 months or so it was out. Before that it had some serious compatibility issues.

I was/am thinking the same Vista II thought however. They push it out to fast and there is going to be a lot of missing drivers and un-updated software giving it a bad rep just like vista.

Going to be hard enough for people to get used to the significant GUI changes.

I am looking to upgrade to Bulldozer at some point, so like has been said up thread, 8 is likely a good place to go.

My media server and all four media center PCs could use a nice fresh UI. I'm interested to see how navigable Metro is with their existing Windows Media Center remotes.

I also want those storage, virtualization, speed, and desktop improvements on my main rig as soon as possible.

+1. I really think that people are going to have to see the Consumer Preview first as rumors are saying that keyboard and mouse usability are much better and that Windows 8 is smokin' Windows 7 in speed.

And I'm hearing that there will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 15k Metro apps at Windows 8 launch, a guess but Microsoft has been courting developers, developers, developers like crazy to write Metro apps. As a point of reference, there's about 4k apps added to Windows Phone 7 a month, I'm thinking that Windows 8 could hit twice that mark as this is a MUCH bigger market than Windows Phone. Tons of brand new devices in a much emptier market. Someone is going going to make a killin'.

It doesn't look like Windows 8 Media Center is getting any GUI updates from Windows 7's.

http://www.theverge.com/microsoft/2012/2/8/2784278/windows-8-media-center-consumer-preview

But that's ok, I rarely go outside of MediaBrowser anyways.

It doesn't look like Windows 8 Media Center is getting any GUI updates from Windows 7's.

http://www.theverge.com/microsoft/2012/2/8/2784278/windows-8-media-center-consumer-preview

Yeah, the main deal in WMC is TV recording which is doing the way of the do do bird. Media Center was actually on app that Microsoft added a fair amount of touch capability for Windows 7 though a lot more could have been done. Just as long as it still works with CableCard and records as well as it does today I'm good.

I was already aware of this, but who said anything about continuing to use Windows Media Center?

I said I wanted to see how navigable the metro UI is with an IR remote. If it can be configured properly, I'd just use that as the UI instead of jumping to the desktop and opening Windows Media Center.

+1. I really think that people are going to have to see the Consumer Preview first as rumors are saying that keyboard and mouse usability are much better and that Windows 8 is smokin' Windows 7 in speed.

And I'm hearing that there will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 15k Metro apps at Windows 8 launch, a guess but Microsoft has been courting developers, developers, developers like crazy to write Metro apps. As a point of reference, there's about 4k apps added to Windows Phone 7 a month, I'm thinking that Windows 8 could hit twice that mark as this is a MUCH bigger market than Windows Phone. Tons of brand new devices in a much emptier market. Someone is going going to make a killin'.

Seems as though your CTRL and V keys are still healthy.

I'm going to upgrade whether I like it or not. Being in IT means staying on the bleeding edge of technology as often as you can so you know the ins and outs of programs and hardware without listening to your aunt's son's cat telling you that they heard on the internet from their friend's daughter's dog that Vista sucks.

Poor Bastager. ;)

Windows 8 Server probably, mostly for Storage Spaces that shows lots of promises.

My current Windows 7 machine would probably be more troublesome to upgrade, especially since it's a desktop and has no and will never have a touchscreen, but I'll probably have at least a multiboot or virtual Windows 8 machine for reference. It will all depend on what the beta or whatever its name is has to show us later this month.

I don't think it makes sense to upgrade a desktop machine, Windows 8 would suit a brand new ARM device, tablet or ultrabook designed for touch much better.

That was posted from my iPhone. :p

And this is being posted from my Samsung Series 7 Slate running the Windows 8 Developer Preview using a digital pen and the built-in OS level real-time handwriting to text conversion.;)

Too soon.
Many businesses are now just upgrading to Windows 7.. and are still having hard time with compatibility from older applications. Going to an even newer OS that is "tablet looking" will be stupid.

From a deployment standpoint. the W8 family (Tablet/Desktop/Server) looks to have some fun stuff in it (assuming you have access to software assurance).

Windows 7 to 8 is roughly the same timeframe from Vista to Windows 7's release (~3 years).

I hope there won't be too many versions of Windows 8 like they did with Windows 7. Basic, Home, Pro, Ultimate :eek:

Windows 7 made 64 bit mainstream and also has native TRIM support for SSD's.

Windows 8 better have something more than widgets or I'm guessing it will be dismissed as another Vista.

Not sure how it could be another Vista as it is apparent that Windows 8 is primarily aimed at unifying their mobile and desktop products. It serves a purpose that is bold and unique, on top of likely being a strong successor to 7.

7 has been a near flawless experience for me. I have no deal breaking complaints. I'll be getting Windows 8 as near to release as I can. Microsoft is taking a huge leap that may very well make or break their future. I'm sure they're not taking this risk lightly.

I definitely feel this is too soon. I see no reason to upgrade and blow another $200.00 on a OS that removes usability features from the desktop environment. No thank you Microsoft.

Anyone else think this is too soon?
Too soon.
I definitely feel this is too soon. I see no reason to upgrade and blow another $200.00 on a OS that removes usability features from the desktop environment. No thank you Microsoft.

Then don't buy it. Nobody is forcing you to do so for the next three to eight years.

And no, it is not too soon, it's called "back to a normal release schedule". Windows 7 is already nearly three years old and we're due for another major Windows release. Heck, Vista is supposed to enter its extended support phase this spring.

Funny, I remember Win98 being pretty good, especially Win98SE. XP was horrible too off the bat. Nobody here would budge from Windows 2000 until SP2 came out and totally overhauled XP's security. By that time drivers caught up when finally pushing away from the Win32 kernel and adopting the NT kernel. Vista suffered from the same problems as XP - new drivers were needed and manufacturers weren't moving away from their last-OS phase fast enough - again. The only reason why 7 succeeded was because Microsoft kept the drivers the same as Vista for the most part. 8 is going to be the same as 7 in regards to driver stability.

I never thought of Windows 98 being a crummy release as it had vastly improved USB support and power management over its predecessor, not to mention introduced support for AGP and a new driver model.

I also remember the mixed reception of XP's release, especially the "herpderp XP is just Windows 2000 with activation and a Fischer-Price skin" fanfare from a lot of the tech community.

Then don't buy it. Nobody is forcing you to do so for the next three to eight years.

And no, it is not too soon, it's called "back to a normal release schedule". Windows 7 is already nearly three years old and we're due for another major Windows release. Heck, Vista is supposed to enter its extended support phase this spring.

I never thought of Windows 98 being a crummy release as it had vastly improved USB support and power management over its predecessor, not to mention introduced support for AGP and a new driver model.

I also remember the mixed reception of XP's release, especially the "herpderp XP is just Windows 2000 with activation and a Fischer-Price skin" fanfare from a lot of the tech community.

I think the only thing everyone disliked about Windows 98, and rightly so, was when Microsoft make Internet Explorer 4 an integral part of Windows 98 to a point where if IE4 has hiccups, it brings the entire operating system down. That was around the time of the beginning of the browser war, when Netscape accused Microsoft of injecting malicious codes into Windows 98 to cause Netscape to crash frequently. But other than that I've had no issue with Windows 98. My favorite games at the time, Command and Conquer and Total Annihilation, ran much more smoothly on Windows 98 than it did Windows 95.

Until the product is final, there's no way to make this judgment.

I hope there won't be too many versions of Windows 8 like they did with Windows 7. Basic, Home, Pro, Ultimate :eek:

Oh it isn't that hard...

Windows 7 starter - For people who are so tight they can stick a penny in their ass and create art with it.

32 bit any version - For the person who is a complete moron and likes handicapping their machine and or the person who works for a complete moron who forces them to use antiquated software and hasn't figured out how XP mode works.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 - For basically any average user.

Professional 64 - Business clients and basically any user who isn't the typical users.

Ultimate 64 - For the "I want all the bells and whistles version even if I never use them because I am a tool" user and for those few who utilize an HTPC. For the record I fall into this group minus the htpc :p But the..I got it on the cheap before MSDN changed the rules. :D

There is your handy dandy guide to which version of Windows you should buy.

why do HTPC user need Ultimate? Windows Media Center exist on all editions of Windows 7.

As for Starter, it's designed for netbooks.

why do HTPC user need Ultimate? Windows Media Center exist on all editions of Windows 7.

As for Starter, it's designed for netbooks.

Ooo I completely forgot about the specific media center version. Ok so Ultimate is basically just for tools like me who gotta have it all. :D

Netbooks reinforce my statement on who basic is for. ;)

I think traditional windows users on a desktop machine will see minimal benefits with windows 8, however mobile, laptop, and tablet users are LONG overdue for a touch friendly overhaul! Hopefully this will slow the adoption of all these idevices that seem to be taking over :)

Starter isn't for netbooks or netbook users, it's for netbook manufacturers, so they can offer it for cheap.
Look at the thousands of support forum posts about not being able to play movies because WMP is missing or other such basic features that you'd expect to see on a netbook in the Western world.
Starter used to be (Vista) a version sold exclusively for cheap in the developing countries, and that's where it should have stayed. I actually think the product should not even exist, as it is an insult to these developing countries and their people to sell them a stripped down version of Windows.

When netbook manufacturers asked Microsoft for a version of Windows priced proportionally to the cost of the hardware, instead of reducing the price of Windows Home edition, which would have introduced an inconsistency with the same product for desktop and laptop computers, Microsoft decided to sell them this Third World unusable product, with the almost mandatory option to upgrade to a standard version, so that the cost of the OS would not be included up front when you bought the netbook. And the first netbooks couldn't even use Vista, so they were sold with XP.

Windows Starter is just a scam and a total disservice to customers, who end up shelling out more money than they would have if the netbook included Windows Home in the first place.

It just seems like the tech field is turning like the political field either you are "don't change a thing" or "change it now".

We need windows 8 to keep the move towards tablets/ultrabooks at a decent clip. While I do appreciate the people that spend a hundred hours making their rig look awesome..I can't carry it around with me.

It just seems like the tech field is turning like the political field either you are "don't change a thing" or "change it now".

We need windows 8 to keep the move towards tablets/ultrabooks at a decent clip. While I do appreciate the people that spend a hundred hours making their rig look awesome..I can't carry it around with me.

We don't need windows 8 for that..We need Windows Mobile (basically all win 8 is now) for that. Win 8 should be an advancement of Win 7 specifically designed for the desktop/laptop non touch interface experience. As I have said numerous times, not even Apple (with all their integration) is dumb enough to try and use the same OS on their iPhone that they do on a Mac Pro. It is a terrible concept and the fact that MS is pushing it is just sad.

Your statement works both ways. :)

While I'm very positive about Windows 8 I've not made final judgments. However I've used the the DP on a convertible tablet PC, a dual screen desktop with just a keyboard and mouse and touch screen tablets everyday since the DP came out.

I've been writing code in Visual Studio on my Windows 8 desktop and there's very little that more keyboard and mouse intensive than that and it works pretty much like it would on Windows 7.

And yes there are some things that don't work well will a mouse and keyboard, Microsoft said on the day the DP was released that those issues would be fixed in the next milestone release, which is the Consumer Preview.

So while I am positive about Windows 8 my optimism comes from constant use of it on a wide variety of devices and a lot of intensive keyboard and mouse use. Haters simply haven't used it enough to form this informed an opinion.

It is a terrible concept and the fact that MS is pushing it is just sad.

It's a fantastic concept and is Microsoft's only choice at this moment. And if you think that at some point Apple won't do the same thing, here's a thought. The iPad now outsells all Macs combined 3 to 1. Where is Apple going to focus it's efforts? Even if Apple doesn't fully merge iOS and OS X the simple fact of the matter is that as the iPad begins to sell more and more relative to the Mac, OS X is simply going to not get attention.

Bill Gates said a long time ago that as a computer feature becomes mainstream it should be in the core of WINDOWS, not something else. The history of Windows has been to run on all the popular hardware out there and to do the things that people want. Touch, physics and full screen are at the center of how the fastest growing segment of computer users is using computers. To keep Windows keyboard and mouse driven means that simply would become irrelavent to consumers.

Windows 8 my fail but by remaining keyboard and mouse only it would have destined to fail with consumers who would have only bought them for work purposes and little else.

We don't need windows 8 for that..We need Windows Mobile (basically all win 8 is now) for that. Win 8 should be an advancement of Win 7 specifically designed for the desktop/laptop non touch interface experience. As I have said numerous times, not even Apple (with all their integration) is dumb enough to try and use the same OS on their iPhone that they do on a Mac Pro. It is a terrible concept and the fact that MS is pushing it is just sad.

Do you really think companies of this scale just do things on a whim? Next thing you will be telling me is that Target's marketing group is a bunch of high school kids tweeting each other.

It's a fantastic concept and is Microsoft's only choice at this moment.
They have lots of choices they can make.
Even if Apple doesn't fully merge iOS and OS X the simple fact of the matter is that as the iPad begins to sell more and more relative to the Mac, OS X is simply going to not get attention.
Guess you missed the Mountain Lion announcement?

Back