Windows 8 Pro--Can I go straight to desktop?

I just installed Windows 8 Professional for the first time! Much of a learning curve for me. My biggest question is that is there a way to go straight to the desktop on a clean boot or restart without it going to the app desktop first? I know it's probably a stupid question but I don't want it to go there first. I want my regular desktop when I clean boot

That's just for the look of Win 7 start menu...I'm talking about going straight to the desktop and not the app menu, or am I wrong here? LOL

That's just for the look of Win 7 start menu...I'm talking about going straight to the desktop and not the app menu, or am I wrong here? LOL

It gives you options to enable/disable things, go straight to desktop, etc. It's more than a "start button."

EDIT: It's also free to try, see if it does what you need. If not, then uninstall it.

take a look at startisback as well, from what I understand it builds more on the existing code in windows vs hacking in something completely new

http://fi.laceous.com/post/35876981007/start8-vs-startisback

That's the one I went with. $3 for 2 licenses isn't a bad thing either (and since I have two Win8 machines...). startisback also allows you to turn off charms and the hot corners so that basically you never know that metro exists. I have no need for the modern ui or any of the stuff that comes with it, so why have any of it show?

About to install Windows 8 on a new rig, so glad I found this thread. The Metro UI is really unappealing

Create a scheduled task, that runs when anyone (or just you) logs on, that runs "explorer"

Boots you to desktop every time.

This won't disable or remove any functionality, just send you right to the desktop.

Alternatively, if you're comfortable with regedit, you can follow the instructions here to make a slight registry modification which will do basically the same thing

If you want to keep the Start Screen as the default app launcher then I don't really see the point of going to the desktop if like many people you have one more favorite programs that you start up like a web browser. Just starting a desktop app will take on to the desktop in Windows 8.

problem is, you have to go to metro to find your apps, or use the search field i guess

problem is, you have to go to metro to find your apps, or use the search field i guess

The Start Screen does require manual upkeep but if it is maintained I find if easier to find a larger set of programs than the Start Menu mouse only. But I think the most efficient way to launch apps in 7 or 8 is with search and the keyboard and you mentioned.

Create a scheduled task, that runs when anyone (or just you) logs on, that runs "explorer"

Boots you to desktop every time.

Or the better thing to do would be to create a batch script which runs explorer and put that in the Startup folder.

Of course, the best solution would simply be to change the registry, as you mentioned.

lots of bad answers. classic shell is free, open source, and has done this since the windows 8 previews.

Agreed. What's the point of paying for something that Classic Shell does for free? It can turn off the charms menu/hot corners and boot to the desktop just like the payware.

I think the simplest way to address this is just to put the desktop shortcut in the upper left hand corner of the start screen, the 1st slot. If you have to enter your password to login just keep pushing enter after login, it will activate the app in the 1st slot. Even if you don't use a password to login just keep pushing enter once the win8 logo disappears. You might see the start screen flash up for a second, but who cares.

My biggest question is that is there a way to go straight to the desktop on a clean boot or restart without it going to the app desktop first? I know it's probably a stupid question but I don't want it to go there first. I want my regular desktop when I clean boot

Just upgrade to Windows 7.

I'd recommend Start Is Back over all other alternatives. It brings out the underlying Start Menu code existing in Windows 8 and allows boot to desktop, disable charms, etc. You can still access the Start screen if you want. They have a free trial, really worth the $2 he's asking. www.startisback.com

I'd recommend Start Is Back over all other alternatives. It brings out the underlying Start Menu code existing in Windows 8 and allows boot to desktop, disable charms, etc. You can still access the Start screen if you want. They have a free trial, really worth the $2 he's asking. www.startisback.com

And again, Classic Shell has all of that functionality. For free.

Can anyone actually verify these claims that "It brings out the underlying Start Menu code?" Sounds like marketing BS from someone trying to cash in, Microsoft was adamant that they removed all of the start-menu related code prior to release.

The code had to remain in for older programs to install correctly, and its how the start screen works (a glorified start menu).

The code had to remain in for older programs to install correctly, and its how the start screen works (a glorified start menu).

The Start Menu is just a UI on top of the file system, I don't think the UI needed to be kept for compatibility reasons.

Back