Windows 8 May Be End of the Line for the Windows Brand

As long as they change it before the year 3000. I don't think I can handle another Windows Millenium.

I hope MS is preparing themselves for a shit storm. If they come up w/ a semi-bad name it's going be to hell for them.

If ford isn't getting rid of the Taurus name, something most non-ford buyers see as a piece of crap name, because of it's wide spread recognition, I severely doubt window's name is going away.

If it ain't broke,don't fix it! Brand recognition is worth a fortune in advertising,and Windows is the first name people think of when asked to name an operating system.

My question would be: why? Windows is probably one of the world's best known brand names... People who don't like Windows, won't like whatever will be replacing it as they're already hooked to the icult koolaid.

The assumption is the death of both the desktop PC and the laptop PC, with everyone switching to tablet PCs. There's similar whispering that Mac OS X Lion 10.7 will be the last Mac OS X, and honestly, iOS is a better OS name than Mac OS X. Microsoft's tablet OS has been around since 2001, is merged into Windows 7, and look where it's got them. They need a better name, and a lot of luck coming up with one, because let's face it, Microsoft sucks at product naming.

Any other name would lack that following. The substance in the windows name is everything. Windows name has a lot of power behind it and history. Without the name people might as well switch to another OS if its completely different. I think Microsoft will become the past if they decide something like this for their os after windows 8. They would be really dumb to take out the windows name from any os they decide to make. Everything Microsoft stands for and is about is in the windows name. Without the name they would be vulnerable to lose a lot of market share.

Um, no. It will always be Windows "something".

The name emphasis might change though - more like when Xp was "it". No-one specifically said they were running "Windows XP", it was always just XP...the Windows was a given. Windows wasn't said aloud, but it was instantly known. Now, say you're running "seven". It doesn't sound right without the Windows first.

Maybe they just need better OS names instead of numbers or years.

Whatever, :rolleyes: I just got 7 last year I am not about to blow another wad of cash for 8 next year. And as for the tiles they are using....They Suck! They are too big and waste too much space. You get somthing like 6 on a phone screen. If they keep going that route people are going to want android os for their pc. Speaking of that pc touchscreen sure late to the show. I dont like those all in one jobs. I want 3 24" Eyefinity touchscreen! Thats my opinion and I am stickin to it! :)

The assumption is the death of both the desktop PC and the laptop PC, with everyone switching to tablet PCs. There's similar whispering that Mac OS X Lion 10.7 will be the last Mac OS X, and honestly, iOS is a better OS name than Mac OS X. Microsoft's tablet OS has been around since 2001, is merged into Windows 7, and look where it's got them. They need a better name, and a lot of luck coming up with one, because let's face it, Microsoft sucks at product naming.

That makes sense. Windows is the king of brands for PC, but MS is trying to shift towards the mobile market and they need a new name. They might sacrifice a little in the PC market in hopes of having a big hit brand for the mobile market.

Whatever, :rolleyes: I just got 7 last year I am not about to blow another wad of cash for 8 next year. And as for the tiles they are using....They Suck! They are too big and waste too much space. You get somthing like 6 on a phone screen. If they keep going that route people are going to want android os for their pc. Speaking of that pc touchscreen sure late to the show. I dont like those all in one jobs. I want 3 24" Eyefinity touchscreen! Thats my opinion and I am stickin to it! :)

The Metro UI on Windows Phone is actually VERY well received by users though of course Windows Phone still hasn't sold well though there simply aren't a lot of models right now, the Nokia deal and others will change that.

As for the tiles in Windows 8 I believe they are far more customizable and powerful than on Windows Phone, that can be resized for one and use space in an efficient way based the size of the display,

Grids of static icons are played out, it's time for something else. I think the tiles will be very successful simply because its a fresh approach and they offer more functionality that grid icons,

The assumption is the death of both the desktop PC and the laptop PC, with everyone switching to tablet PCs.

Not everyone will be switching to tablets until tablets do everything that desktops and laptops do and even then keyboards and mice aren't going anywhere, they are far more efficient input methods than touch.

Windows 8 does however offer potentially the best of best worlds in a single device, tablet and desktop/laptop functionality which if well implemented is very powerful because its cost effective and convenient. One device that can offer tablet and desktop capability. I see hybrid devices like the Asus Transformer being in the Windows 8 world.

If I had to guess, everyone who is against this is over the age of 35. You guys just don't get it, and I'm honestly surprised the higher ups at MS get it. The landscape is changing extremely fast. I predict that not only will windows 8 be the last windows, but will be the last desktop OS. I mean, what more is there to add to the OS that can't be added via software updates?

You can already see both MS and apple struggling with this. They're adding what is essentially unneeded features for the sake of adding features and having something to distinguish it from the previous version. What is honestly that different in 7 from vista that couldn't have been handled in a service pack?

I see Microsoft ditching the windows name and creating an entirely new mobile oriented OS. The reason for ditching the windows name? It's old, it screams legacy and it just isn't new or exciting. It's for that very same reason that despite MS raking in billions of dollars every year, and growing every quarter, that their stock price has remained stagnant.

I'd honestly be surprised if they didn't have a team working on it already as they're gonna need to put it into high gear or else they'll soon find themselves irrelevant in a world of iOS and android devices, and WP7 ain't gonna cut it. If they want to be successful they need to look at what's coming and design around that as opposed to looking what's been done and copying that.

I predict that not only will windows 8 be the last windows, but will be the last desktop OS. I mean, what more is there to add to the OS that can't be added via software updates?

This almost sounds like the old story about the guy at the patent office in 1900 saying that there was nothing left to be invented. There will always be a need for bigger iron than can be delivered via a tablet. Desktops, laptops, tablets and phones AREN'T mutually exclusive. Each will have a place in the computing landscape for the rest of our lives and indeed any number of things could happen that could increase the importance of desktops, such as smart homes or personal cloud computing or something else no ones even thought of.

But sure the average consumer will probably shift more and more to phones and tablets but even then many of those people will want and need more capability than a phone or tablet can deliver and will still at least have a laptop.

There's just going to be more types of devices but none of the current form factors is going away, there will just be a shifting in the numbers is all.

if its not broke don't fix it.

some companies spend their entire lifespan building a brand name and image.
to destroy a name that is synonymous with pc computing would be fail on an epic level.

they an expand, they can reinvent, they can move into mobile etc...but they don't need to rebrand.

the people who are windows detractors are a vocal minority.

I could give a rats ass what they call it. The name will have no bearing on how good/bad the product will be. But some people care for a snappy name, pretty box, etc.

New name for the next OS after Windows 8?

Microsoft Live OS?
... Might work given that the word "Live" gets used often by Microsoft-- Xbox Live, Games for Windows Live, Live Messenger, etc.

Microsoft Connected? Unified?
... Isn't Microsoft working towards a more unified environment between handheld, mobile, desktop and entertainment and gaming?

Microsoft Server for servers?
... Drop Windows name from Windows Server and keep it as Server.

Microsoft Gates?
... Haha, might work. Lol.

Microsoft Ballmer?
... Won't work.

Microsoft Unity?
... Again, same thing as Connected/Unified above, and combine it with cloud services.

Microsoft Spaces?
... I'm not quite sure. :D

The female demographic hates opening doors for themselves. Doors sound like work, and what fat and lazy Americans want is something that sounds uplifting and effortless:
ESCALATOR

Yea, but the male demographic has a greater market share, and even though we may be fat and lazy, we are even MORE horney, therefore.....................
BOOBS

they would have to change all the os, no more windows. i think they should focus in make the content better and think less about, surface name changing.

I would love to have animated desktops like android and also be able to scroll between desktops like they do in phones. I just dont like those tiles i have seen. I also dont really like the tiles in ie 9 when you open a blank page. I am over 35 and I am not saying I dont like the changes coming. I just dont like what I have seen so far in win 8 except for the ability to switch back to a windows style if needed or wanted. If the replacement for win 8 is more like the phone os I hope it does some of the cool stuff they do in the android phones I have seen. Maybe by then I can buy those 3 24" touch screens for eyefinity

I would love to have animated desktops like android and also be able to scroll between desktops like they do in phones. I just dont like those tiles i have seen. I also dont really like the tiles in ie 9 when you open a blank page. I am over 35 and I am not saying I dont like the changes coming. I just dont like what I have seen so far in win 8 except for the ability to switch back to a windows style if needed or wanted. If the replacement for win 8 is more like the phone os I hope it does some of the cool stuff they do in the android phones I have seen. Maybe by then I can buy those 3 24" touch screens for eyefinity

Windows Vista Ultimate had one of those extras called DreamScene that provided an animated desktop that could be a video or Direct X application. It's possible to hack Windows 7 to use this technology and there's a 3rd party utility called DeskScapes that works with XP, Vista and 7.

The thing about the Tiles UI is that they don't focus the user to a pretty but pointless animated background but to an informative foreground. A tile in Windows 8 can be just about anything from a static image and text to a full program similar to a desktop gadget and from my understanding the tiles unlike Windows Phone are resizable.

When applications are written to support the tile desktop I think people will love it as its simply so much more powerful than icon grids, you can get tons more information right on the desktop without ever even launching a program. There's a lot of opportunity to write kinds of slick tiles that deal with social networks, the cloud and the general web. With the Windows Marketplace coming online there's going to bean opportunity to develop apps for what's probably going to be as large as iOS and Android on tablets combine by 2014. I just think there's so much opportunity for app development here.

Sounds like Comcast changing their name to X-Finity. Guess what, it still sucks if you call it Windows or Z-Future.

I love nautical themes! And the desktop can be called the Poopdeck, network Ganplank, and users Scallywanks.

Show me yer poopdeck scallywanks, so we can gangplank yar porthole, argh. *pokes ye with my wooden leg*

My guess is that Microsoft is either moving into the Cloud, or that they are going to begin selling proprietary devices with Microsoft branding and a different OS name

That mans Windows 7 is the last great Windows OS. Windows 8, like WindowsME, would be a lame duck that would see little support from hardware and software companies. They'll be retooling for the post-Windows operating system.

The xbox stuff is disturbing if it is true, what are you going to call it isntead? xOS? xbox command? dashboard? whatever the xbox OS is called? winbros?

Not sure the Xbox OS has a name since it's just a stripped down version of the Windows kernel and other necessary functions. For the original Xbox, it was a stripped down version of Win2k with everything allowed to run in kernel mode (to "allow things to run faster"). I believe the Xbox 360 uses a stripped down version of Windows Server 2003 (or possibly Vista)...don't remember.

Back