Windows 8 Market Share Better Than OS X, Worse Than Vista

Straw grasping at its saddest

Just like calling Linux the most popular OS because a Linux kernel based mobile OS that runs on a lot of cheap and low power tablets and smart phones that's completely incompatible with desktop versions of Linux is now why high-end game developers are abandoning Windows and going to develop $60 games for Linux that has a very small user base and Android where none of the devices can even run these kinds of games well currently.

The thing with 8, even if it did not suck, is it came out too fast. Most people have probably already upgraded to 7 by now and most probably did so not so long ago, so they're not ready to upgrade yet again.

Heck my company is still on XP. I can't see them upgrading any time soon. Too many crappy apps that depend on specific builds of Java, windows, IE6 etc.

Actually, it does integrate with Visual Studio.

And just to add, the Linux platform deployment option for Unity is probably the last reason any given developer specifically used as a major one to utilize the engine. Visual Studio works wonderfully with it though :). There's also the UniVS addon which enables full integration.

Just like calling Linux the most popular OS because a Linux kernel based mobile OS that runs on a lot of cheap and low power tablets and smart phones that's completely incompatible with desktop versions of Linux is now why high-end game developers are abandoning Windows and going to develop $60 games for Linux that has a very small user base and Android where none of the devices can even run these kinds of games well currently.

The compatibility problem you mentioned is due more to the underlying hardware platform. ARM anything is going to have the same problems whether it's iOS and OSx, Windows 8 and Windows RT or a Linux-based OS.

Every time you try to get out, it pulls you back in.

How would you know since the impression I am getting is you do not use Windows 8 at all. I came to work and what do you know, my Windows 8 computer was sitting there waiting for me without crashing and without a so called "jail".

I use Metro by the way and the desktop. Use whatever you so choose and enjoy. :D

These stats aren't mine, their Steam's, interpret them how you wish. But I would imagine that Microsoft is perfectly happy with being "embarrassed" over anything else showing up on this survey.

They don't need to be interpreted, common sense says your comparison is ridicules on it's face. Get back to me when Steam on Linux approaches the age the travesty of a Win8 store is now and we'll talk.

They don't need to be interpreted, common sense says your comparison is ridicules on it's face. Get back to me when Steam on Linux approaches the age the travesty of a Win8 store is now and we'll talk.

The Windows Store is only 3 1/2 months older than Steam on Linux.

The Windows Store is only 3 1/2 months older than Steam on Linux.

Or in practical terms double+ the llifetime, with a much wider target audience. Keep trying to make that comparison not look as dumb as it is though, might as well double down on being intellectually dishonest at this point.

All I did was link to the Steam survey that's been showing solid growth for Windows 8 for months now. Meanwhile the Linux numbers have actually been shrinking. If Steam for Linux hasn't been out long enough and needs time fine, I'm not arguing against that. But these survey numbers are what they are and I didn't come up with them.

All I did was link to the Steam survey that's been showing solid growth for Windows 8 for months now. Meanwhile the Linux numbers have actually been shrinking. If Steam for Linux hasn't been out long enough and needs time fine, I'm not arguing against that. But these survey numbers are what they are and I didn't come up with them.

No you just used them out of any meaningful context. I could post total iPad sales vs. your beloved win8 tablet sales and say "interpret them how you will". Hopefully someone would call me out for being a moron though.

No you just used them out of any meaningful context. I could post total iPad sales vs. your beloved win8 tablet sales and say "interpret them how you will". Hopefully someone would call me out for being a moron though.

If Steam's survey needs context fine, Steam should add that context since it's their survey.

Not sure why people who write these stories don't seem to realize that it's not Microsoft's intent to sell as many tablets itself as Apple since Apple makes all iPad hardware and Microsoft doesn't make all Windows 8/RT hardware.

I was pointing out the context, thats all. Previous replies.

Back