Windows 8 Leaked Already

Who wouldn't it be a good idea?

64bit Windows is generally faster than 32bit Windows, especially if you have a few native 64bit applications that you use regularly. The 64bit version of Handbrake garners a 15% performance boost over the 32bit version, and even the 64bit version of office apps like Excel experience a notable speedup when the native 64bit version is installed.

64bit Windows is also more secure then 32bit Windows. One of the biggest security improvements comes from Kernel Patch Protection, which is only available on 64bit Windows and seriously hardens the system against things like rootkits. 64bit Windows also enforces signed drivers, while 32bit Windows doesn't. 64bit Windows has much more effective ASLR (Address Space Layout Randomization) because it has an virtual address space to randomize within in WAY larger on 64bit than it is on 32bit.

Unless you have some piece of legacy hardware that needs an old unsigned driver, or legacy software than needs 16bit support... why on earth would you ever pick 32bit Windows over 64bit Windows?

2GB of RAM is already pushing the lower limits of comfortable multitasking, and despite all of the above in general most/many apps you launch will use more of your RAM due to (paraphrasing) 32-bit to 64-bit translation/overhead. To top it off, 2GB is the minimum required for 64-bit as compared to 1GB for 32-bit, so that says something to.

Regardless, the fact that some of the drivers are 32-bit only is a good reason too. :D

2GB of RAM is already pushing the lower limits of comfortable multitasking, and despite all of the above in general most/many apps you launch will use more of your RAM due to (paraphrasing) 32-bit to 64-bit translation/overhead. To top it off, 2GB is the minimum required for 64-bit as compared to 1GB for 32-bit, so that says something to.

Regardless, the fact that some of the drivers are 32-bit only is a good reason too. :D

What drivers are 32 bit only?

Can anyone tell me the Recommended specs for windows 8? I cant seem to find it/....

The system requirements of Windows 8 are the same as for Windows 7 and Server 2008.

Windows-8 system requirements 64-bit (x64)
CPU with 1 GHz
20 GByte Hard disk space
2 GByte RAM
DirectX-9 graphics Card

Windows-8 system requirements 32-bit (x86/x32)
CPU with 1 GHz
16 GByte Hard disk space
1 GByte RAM
DirectX-9 graphics Card

Thanks :) I might check it out.. It was a major difference when i went from xp home to win 7 ult x64.. SO it might be worth it :D

Serious question, why would I want to get windows 8?
There's no more graphics mode switching on UAC prompts, boots are faster, ISO mounting is now built-in and the ribbon in Explorer windows is a good improvement.

From my perspective, these are the real headline features, and the ones Microsoft isn't going out of their way to sell you on. In my opinion, this is a mistake.

There's no more graphics mode switching on UAC prompts, boots are faster, ISO mounting is now built-in and the ribbon in Explorer windows is a good improvement.

From my perspective, these are the real headline features, and the ones Microsoft isn't going out of their way to sell you on. In my opinion, this is a mistake.

Beyond these things from my experience the tablet and touch capabilities are far superior as well.

Not exactly. It's paving the way for the future. All screens will eventually be touch. And with devices like Kinect for PC, Windows 8 will make using your PC sans keyboard an easier transition.

At least that's the direction I see them heading towards. A voice and gesture based system. In the future, the desktop will be compared to the CLI. Us old timers will fondly remember the days of explorer and carpal tunnel.

So u can run a tablet OS on your desktop

This is getting old and anyone stating this is just making themselves look a fool. It's a TOUCH OPTIMIZED operating system, but that's not the only way to interact with it. And yes welcome to the future. Like it or not we are already there, touching our smartphones and tablets 24/7. It's only natural that the most widely used section of technology now comes inline with that. YOU don't have to use touch, but thankfully you don't get to ruin it for the rest of us that are ready to move forward. Now drink your prune juice.

Back