Windows 8.1 Starts At $120

Using OSX on a hackintosh shows what kind of problems they would have. It would be a huge endeavor for them with different hardware configurations, various kexts, kernel panics, incompatible hardware, etc.. It's fun, but it can be a headache. I don't think Apple wants the headache. .

Using the half full/empty glass point of view, i would say, on the contrary, given the fact that plenty of those kext are not made by the OEM, OSX runs surprisingly well on non apple blessed pc's.

If apple mobos were "more" standard, hackintoshes would be virtually flawless, imho.

Once i put startisback and aeroglass on it... i'm pretty satisfied.

That said i shouldn't HAVE to modify my operating system to make it usable, as i am of the belief that options are good and things should be additive and not subtractive (why take out something that has already been developed).

This 1000%. I just can comprehend how other people can just say, "install this or that" or my favorite "just get used to it".

The part that really pisses me off is that they did this to use their desktop monopoly to force everyone to "get used" to their table interface, so you would buy their tablets also.

Another thing that bothers me, how they also used W8 build in "apps" to also force you to access and boost their online offerings, like for example, if i want to use the email app, i need to create and use a hotmail/outlook account just to access my preferred email provider.

Sorry, meant "can't comprehend".

where the heck is the edit button?

Sorry, meant "can't comprehend".

where the heck is the edit button?
Edit is disabled in the News sub-forum.

I know, I run into that problem all the time. I hate double-posting but you can't really help it here.

Using the half full/empty glass point of view, i would say, on the contrary, given the fact that plenty of those kext are not made by the OEM, OSX runs surprisingly well on non apple blessed pc's.

If apple mobos were "more" standard, hackintoshes would be virtually flawless, imho.

Yea, but with the huge amount of different hardware configurations, it would be a nightmare. I'd rather have the small selected set of hardware and have it work perfect than a million different configs and have it crash more often (Windows is getting better at that, but still a problem that Mac's rarely see).

I enjoy running a hackintosh, and I'm learning OS X, but I'd rather run full Apple hardware. But, I can run the hackintosh with a $100 Lenovo throwaway PC. It works, but it takes more work to be solid. Standard Apple hardware ....... just works. :) However, using a hackintosh has taught me a lot about OS X and how Apple's really work. I really enjoy it from that point of view.

This 1000%. I just can comprehend how other people can just say, "install this or that" or my favorite "just get used to it".

The part that really pisses me off is that they did this to use their desktop monopoly to force everyone to "get used" to their table interface, so you would buy their tablets also.

Another thing that bothers me, how they also used W8 build in "apps" to also force you to access and boost their online offerings, like for example, if i want to use the email app, i need to create and use a hotmail/outlook account just to access my preferred email provider.

What I can't figure out, is how Microsoft spent the last decade stripping it's OS bare of proprietary apps and features in order to comply with 1000 lawsuits out of the EU.

/Now, M$, feels as if it's ok to funnel people into a narrow and specific direction.

It didn't fly with the previous releases, so what makes this release any different?

I love how they keep mentioning that 8.1 is a "free upgrade" for Windows 8 users when these patches/service packs been always free.

I love how they keep mentioning that 8.1 is a "free upgrade" for Windows 8 users when these patches/service packs been always free.

Because Windows 8.1 is not a service pack or patch. Also, you probably not believe the amount of FUD out there about this very thing prior to the Windows 8.1 launch.

Wish I just got it when it was like 20 quid.

I'd be willing to give it a fair shot at that price, but not at the amount they're selling it for. They'd have a better chance of someone being generous and giving me a license key than me buying it.

...Any takers? :p

$120 is the retail price for Windows 8, I'm not sure how linking an OEM copy of WIndows 7 Home Premium is a relevant comparison.

For reference, a retail copy of Windows 7 Home Premium costs $180

And Windows 8 Pro is a heck of a bargain. Windows 8 Pro's feature set is equivalent with Windows 7 Ultimate, which retails for $299

I'm sure the prices of OEM editions of Windows 8 will see a similar price drop to OEM editions of Windows 7, but you can't compare retail pricing to OEM pricing.

Its only a hell of a bargain if you like "my first windows" interface by fisher-price...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Its only a hell of a bargain if you like "my first windows" interface by fisher-price...

Which for some reason seems to bewilder the hell out of some people. Kind of hard to accept the opinion of an OS of those that don't understand a child's toy.

Thats a very dangerous way of thinking and if you start believing that then say hello to paid DLC for things like this in the future.
He's correct, semantically. "Service Pack" is a Microsoft term not used to describe 8.1. Typically Microsoft uses the term "Update" to describe 8.1.

8.1 is more than a typical service pack but certainly less than a typical on-cycle release. Whether or not Microsoft changes their mind on update pricing remains to be seen, but this one is at least free.

Back