Windows 8.1 Starts At $120

Someone in a response to this on another blow that Microsoft should offer Windows 8.1 upgrade to everyone from Windows XP and up for free. I 100% agree, it would bump adoption to Windows 8.1 and Modern UI Apps by an order of magnitude. Microsoft is already deep in developing Windows 9 and the Apps are going to need to carry over similar to Android/iOS apps. This would open a huge market for Microsoft and go a long way to counter the massive negative image that surrounds the OS right now.

Someone in a response to this on another blow that Microsoft should offer Windows 8.1 upgrade to everyone from Windows XP and up for free. I 100% agree, it would bump adoption to Windows 8.1 and Modern UI Apps by an order of magnitude. Microsoft is already deep in developing Windows 9 and the Apps are going to need to carry over similar to Android/iOS apps. This would open a huge market for Microsoft and go a long way to counter the massive negative image that surrounds the OS right now.

Yeah, I was thinking that Microsoft would have done at least the $40 deal. However, the VAST majority on Windows copies come with the hardware. My guess is that Microsoft is hoping that people will be much more receptive to the new Windows 8 devices coming this fall and holiday and isn't so much worried about upgraders for now unless Windows XP adoption doesn't fall to where they would like or devices sales really slump and they might be willing to sometime next year offer a Windows 8 upgrade discount.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

More expensive then you can buy 7 for. Those who got it for $15, sure I get it. However anyone who pays More for that is a fool. I have come to the conclusion that this year has been a long bad acid flashback for most of redmond. If you don't understand what I am talking about, just drive by that Campus one day. The VW Van ratio is Pretty impressive.

Hey, cool, lets compare the retail cost of Windows 8 to the OEM cost of Windows 7. :rolleyes:

WOW AGREE. But I am probably the only person that Loves Windows 8 and would not go back to 7 if paid for the many benefits, other than everybody misses the worthless start menu which is an easy fix, classic start menu.....:)

And Windows 8 Pro is a heck of a bargain. Windows 8 Pro's feature set is equivalent with Windows 7 Ultimate...[/URL]

Except, you know, not including basic Windows 7 Home Premium features like Media Center.

Windows 8 is a waste of time and money for desktop users. There's no compelling reason to upgrade unless you really love integrated Hyper-V.

Except, you know, not including basic Windows 7 Home Premium features like Media Center.

I'm a huge fan of Windows Media Center, it is a fantastic DVR solution, but how many people are going to use a PC for that these days? I hate to see it not included in the box and become deprecated but the whole notion of the DVR has itself become deprecated. One thing that is included in 8 Pro not in 7 HP that's probably more relevant in today's world is BitLocker.

Windows 8 is a waste of time and money for desktop users. There's no compelling reason to upgrade unless you really love integrated Hyper-V.

We'll see when the reviews start coming out. I think that 8.1 is going to have some interesting performance numbers. And a lot of people do like 8.1 on the desktop because of it's multiple monitor support. I find it interesting among Windows 8 detractors half will say that 8 offers no compelling reason to upgrade and the other half will say if there had been a Metro off switch that 8 would have sold better than 7.

Thanks. I'll pass until they actually produce a version of Windows (again) with a properly functional UI.

Until then, Microsoft won't see a cent from me.

too expensive, with the Microsoft "tax"
Mac OS X costs a fraction of Windows. what is the world coming too...

Apple is a hardware vendor, not a software vendor and MS is a software vendor, not hardware vendor, although they are trying.

The low prices for Windows 8 even after 8.1 are very telling.

I'll wait and see what 9 brings.:eek:

as someone who grilled 8 pretty hard and basically went from an MS fanboy to a critic of most of MS's current moves I will give credit where credit is due.

I finally got my free copy of 8 from the release thingy last year.
Once i put startisback and aeroglass on it... i'm pretty satisfied.

That said i shouldn't HAVE to modify my operating system to make it usable, as i am of the belief that options are good and things should be additive and not subtractive (why take out something that has already been developed).

i guess it's just sort of sad that there is a decent amount of good tucked into a lot of poor business decisions. Sure i get MS needs to look forward etc... but when they don't handle it right they just dig themselves deeper.

Wow, this is a "derp" of significant magnitude. The smartest thing they did was sell Win8 Pro w/MCE for like $30. Now that Win8.1 may actually fix some problems (in the way Win7 fixed Vista problems) and people want to upgrade, alienating them isn't a good way to go. I'm not a great fan of Windows - Linux is really my preferred platform - but I'd rather have a reasonably affordable Windows install should I need one.

but who the fuck uses media center since XP lol

That is a very narrow minded view. It would be like me saying, who uses a tv since tube tvs. I know personally myself I don't own a tv. I have a projector in my living room hooked up to a computer running vista. It does everything I need with out having to purchase 5 different items to perform the same function.

I'm a huge fan of Windows Media Center, it is a fantastic DVR solution, but how many people are going to use a PC for that these days?

More than people who are using metro on the desktop...

You're the one always going on about how hybrid UIs are good. Even if you aren't using your PC as a DVR its nice to have a TV interface for your music/movie collections.

It wouldn't piss me off so much if they weren't charging $10 and requiring pro to use it. There's absolutely no reason for it. It seems like yet another example of the disconnect with customers and infighting within Microsoft.

$120 is cheap for the amount of hours you generally end up spending in Windows.

Am I the only one that goes wtf over the "update" will be available through the store?
It's an update it should be part of the regular update functionality.

The store tile is hidden on my only Win 8 system because I never use it and I don't have a MS account, does anybody know if this update will require an account to download?

So if I were to buy an 8.0 copy now and not install it until after 8.1 released would I have to purchase the 8.1 upgrade?

In the corporate world they're pretty set. No worries there, business are not going to switch to linux, apple or android anytime soon.

Actually we are exploring how we can use tablets. Since they are being heavily requested, we are testing what we can and can't do with them and what apps can and cannot be run. We are limited at this time if course, but it won't be long before we have certain groups using only tablets. Of course they will never fully replace a desktop for some, but for others it might.

Meh, at least it is cheaper when Windows 7 first came out, I remember the Ultimate edition cost more like $400 which is outrageous, but I'm glad I got this for $15 when the deal was around.

So if I were to buy an 8.0 copy now and not install it until after 8.1 released would I have to purchase the 8.1 upgrade?

If you have Windows 8 installed the 8.1 will come down through the Store for free, no need to buy 8.1 then. Does not matter when you buy/install the Win 8.

I would love to get this operating system because I play a lot of games, but I cant justify that price point. 30 bucks for an operating system is what it's worth to me, until I can get something from windows legit for that price I'd rather go with free.

That is a very narrow minded view. It would be like me saying, who uses a tv since tube tvs. I know personally myself I don't own a tv. I have a projector in my living room hooked up to a computer running vista. It does everything I need with out having to purchase 5 different items to perform the same function.

But the idea of using it as a DVR is basically on life support, and I'm a user of the product in Windows 7. Comcast has killed analog channels almost everywhere, and will also encrypt local channels soon if your area if they haven't already, so a device like a HD Homerun is required to even play in most cases, Xbox One won't be an extender and a lot of the plugins are basically dead or depreciated. It still is useful but it's starting to become less and less over time.

I have not paid retail for any Windows version since I bought Vista HP upgrade at Circuit City about 6 years ago or so. Also, the OEM license now allows transference to new hardware and the upgrade copy can often be purchased for $69.99, cheaper than Windows 7. :rolleyes:

Guess what? Windows 8.1 is definitely worth it at the price we can get it for. :D

I would love to get this operating system because I play a lot of games, but I cant justify that price point. 30 bucks for an operating system is what it's worth to me, until I can get something from windows legit for that price I'd rather go with free.

Are you saying that you are not aware of Newegg or Amazon then? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416550 Cheaper than the price listed in this thread and a full version to boot. It is almost like someone saying, No way I will pay that much money on them tires, I would rather just pay $30 on them. Until then, these bald, free ones are just a good.

Are you saying that you are not aware of Newegg or Amazon then? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416550 Cheaper than the price listed in this thread and a full version to boot. It is almost like someone saying, No way I will pay that much money on them tires, I would rather just pay $30 on them. Until then, these bald, free ones are just a good.

Yea I hate when my windows 7 starts wearing bald. Well, at least its free!

Yea I hate when my windows 7 starts wearing bald. Well, at least its free!

:D I think you know what I mean even though the analogy could have been better. However, unless someone gave you that Windows 7, you did not get it for free. (Not even if you are college student because then, free does not even factor in considering how much colleges are paid.)

too expensive, with the Microsoft "tax"
Mac OS X costs a fraction of Windows. what is the world coming too...

Yeah, except for the fact that the Apple tax is horrifically worse...you have to buy a Mac along with your copy of OS X or it's *no sale*...;) It's difficult to understand why people compare OS X to Windows--there's no direct competition between the two at all.

It's strange when you think about it...Apple makes it possible for Mac owners to run Windows natively ('cause what is a Mac if not a PC, anyway?), but won't let Mac owners run their OS X on anything besides a Mac--a Mac they *must* buy from Apple and nowhere else.

I find it hard to believe that people didn't buy Win8 Pro direct from Microsoft for $39.99 last year through the end of January this year. It wasn't difficult to see how much sense that made. But it's obvious from reading these kinds of threads that many people thought that it would somehow get even cheaper, I suppose...;)

There are still some people that don't upgrade unless it's dirt cheap or free, or it comes with a new PC (OEM). For some, they buy the OS when they build their PC and that's it. That OS can go through a few different builds. They have no need to buy a new copy of an OS.

Others, like myself, always need the latest and greatest. So, I'll buy the latest OS and install it on my existing hardware. Not a real reason to upgrade other than "it's new, and it's cool". I like the new features of Windows 8/8.1, but honestly there was little reason to upgrade at the time. At least not $100 worth (I got it for free via Technet). If I wasn't an IT dork, I'd probably stick with 7 for a while longer. No reason to downgrade, but if you have a working copy of Windows 7 on an older machine, there is little reason to upgrade as well. New PC? Grab Windows 8.

Yeah, except for the fact that the Apple tax is horrifically worse...you have to buy a Mac along with your copy of OS X or it's *no sale*...;) It's difficult to understand why people compare OS X to Windows--there's no direct competition between the two at all.

It's strange when you think about it...Apple makes it possible for Mac owners to run Windows natively ('cause what is a Mac if not a PC, anyway?), but won't let Mac owners run their OS X on anything besides a Mac--a Mac they *must* buy from Apple and nowhere else.

They allowed clones at one time, without Steve Jobs at the helm. Didn't work out that great. Otherwise, the Apple model has always been Apple hardware = Apple software, nothing else. It's worked great for them. Using OSX on a hackintosh shows what kind of problems they would have. It would be a huge endeavor for them with different hardware configurations, various kexts, kernel panics, incompatible hardware, etc.. It's fun, but it can be a headache. I don't think Apple wants the headache. When it runs on their strict Apple hardware, it runs flawlessly in my experience.

They have two completely different business models, and both work great for their company. They've done business that way for decades and it's worked.

Already covered this. Most people don't need or use Media Center. Removing it has very little impact on the product for 99% of customers. Aside from Media Center, Windows 8 Pro was designed to have feature parity with Windows 7 Ultimate.

Also, not a very strong point for argument either way. It's a $10 add-on... even after you install it, Windows 8 Pro is still far cheaper than Windows 7 Ultimate.

Working fine on my desktop, laptop, media center PC's, and home server...

Windows 8 is also required if you want to develop Windows Phone 8 apps. The SDK relies on Hyper-V to run the Windows Phone 8 emulator on your workstation.

No, the license requires that it only be used on authorized Apple hardware. You don't need to purchase the authorized hardware.

That's because there's plenty of cheap/free Apple hardware out there.

I actually use it pretty heavily...

I've got a home server running Windows 8 Pro with Media Center installed.
Server has 9 TB of storage, dual TV tuners, and any TV in the house can schedule recordings on it.
Two Xbox 360's connect to that home server as Windows Media Center extenders.
On top of all of the above, I've also got 3 dedicated media center PC's (all also running Windows 8 with Media Center).

I try out XBMC from time to time, but it still can't meet my needs

Unlike XP, windows Media center on Windows 7 is a great product, especially when combined with the newer low power CPU's.

I've been using it as our home DVR the past couple years (have a 4 tuner cable card tuner).

Plus there are some great ad-ins for playing video files, and for remote access. I'm able to stream shows from media center to any computer/tablet in the house, remotely to my laptop and even my phone.

Windows 7 Home Premium includes the full media center. Restricting it to the pro version of windows 8, plus charging extra for it is another bad move on Microsoft's part.

Windows 7 Home Premium includes the full media center. Restricting it to the pro version of windows 8, plus charging extra for it is another bad move on Microsoft's part.
Again, depends on how you use it.

Technically, only one PC in your entire house needs Windows Media Center. All the others can use media center extenders.

That means you're free to use Windows 8 (non-pro, without media center) on most of your PC's, leading to a net savings over installing Windows 7 Home Premium on all of them.

Obviously nobody since thegreenbutton.tv has been desolate. :rolleyes: Millions of people use it as their PVR of choice. Particularly those with cable card options.

Back