Windows 8.1 Hands-On Preview

You don't build something as complex as Windows by simply taking orders. And while the desktop isn't going away does anyone in their right mind think that the desktop represents the future on computing?
I think a better way to say it would be that the future of computing will no longer be solely based on the desktop. I don't see the need for the desktop going away any time soon, but I do think that form factors different than the desktop will make up an increasingly larger share of the computing marketplace.

I also think the mouse and keyboard will be around for a long time, but that they will not be the only way we interact with our desktops. Touch, gestures, voice commands are all coming.

Why is this a bad thing? You'll still be able to use your desktop pretty much like you do today. You just will have additional options too.

en·ter·prise (ntr-prz)
n.
1. An undertaking, especially one of some scope, complication, and risk.
2. A business organization.
3. Industrious, systematic activity, especially when directed toward profit: Private enterprise is basic to capitalism.
4. Willingness to undertake new ventures; initiative: "Through want of enterprise and faith men are where they are, buying and selling, and spending their lives like serfs" (Henry David Thoreau).
enterprise [ˈɛntəˌpraɪz]
n
1. a project or undertaking, esp one that requires boldness or effort
2. participation in such projects
3. readiness to embark on new ventures; boldness and energy
4. (Business / Commerce)
a. initiative in business
b. (as modifier) the enterprise culture
5. (Business / Commerce) a business unit; a company or firm
[from Old French entreprise (n), from entreprendre from entre- between (from Latin: inter-) + prendre to take, from Latin prehendere to grasp]
enterpriser n

en•ter•prise (ˈɛn tərˌpraɪz)

n.
1. a project undertaken, esp. one that is important or difficult or requires boldness or energy.
2. a plan for such a project.
3. participation or engagement in such projects.
4. boldness or readiness in undertaking; adventurous spirit or ingenuity.
5. a company organized for commercial purposes; business firm.
6. (cap.) the prototype for the space shuttle, used for atmospheric flight and landing tests.
[1400–50; late Middle English < Middle French, n. use of feminine of entrepris, past participle of entreprendre to undertake, Old French, =entre- inter- + prendre to take (see prize1)]

You Think SMB is not an Enterprise? I am not sure what magical enterprise definition your looking for.

SMB have the same requirements as large companies they just have smaller budgets.

Nice to see you can use a dictionary. But you must not work in IT or if you do you work for an SMB :) . Nobody in IT uses the word enterprise to the exact definition in the dictionary. Enterprise typically means 1,000+ users, SMB's do NOT have the same requirements at all. I have worked in both and have worked for several MSP's and I can tell you from direct experience that they are completely different animals.

this update is awesome. boot to desktop is finally there and helps me out a lot. start menu is sweet too

So on my MSI mpower max z87 mobo with the killer nic... The driver does not work with 8.1.
Silly me downloaded the 8.1 iso installed windows and no internet. So I installed windows 8 and the driver works fine... If I update to 8.1 will it still work? I searched high and low and no answers.
The same nic driver works on 7 and 8 64 bit OS but doing a clean install with 8.1 ISO the driver will not install...

So on my MSI mpower max z87 mobo with the killer nic... The driver does not work with 8.1.
Silly me downloaded the 8.1 iso installed windows and no internet. So I installed windows 8 and the driver works fine... If I update to 8.1 will it still work? I searched high and low and no answers.
The same nic driver works on 7 and 8 64 bit OS but doing a clean install with 8.1 ISO the driver will not install...

You can try to set compatibility mode to 8 or skip the version check, this kind of thing happens a lot with drivers checking for specific versions of Windows.

I noticed that some drivers worked fine when I upgraded but when I uninstalled them and reinstalled them they wouldn't work. So my suspicion is that they would work but they might not install.

In order to force an install, you can go to advanced restarting options and turn off driver checking (I think it's 6) and install them that way.

Yeah sounds like a jumped the gun I had limited time and needed a working machine. Never that about that ... Seems rather obvious now haha.

Yeah sounds like a jumped the gun I had limited time and needed a working machine. Never that about that ... Seems rather obvious now haha.
if you upgrade your drivers should work and if they don't try the install unsigned drivers method

It appears that you have had this problem for a month or so and I doubt that I can add anything to what has already been said/thought about regarding this issue.

You also should have your fucking head checked for stupid if you are installing Apps on a server. (At least one in production)

Without reading ahead (but beingforced to read back, because I had no idea what you were talking about), I think you assume that these apps aren't enterprise apps designed to making certain server tasks easier to perform. Maybe it's some monitoring software that's better than comes with the server. I don't administer a server (unless you count WHS, and I don't), but I can imagine uses for server apps. If MS allowed companies to run an internal app store, then this would become an even more useful feature.

I get the feeling that many of the people on this board so vocal against Windows 8 were the same people pissed off about Windows 7. They used XP for years after it was time to upgrade, especially if they were gamers and were late adopters of DX 10 and didn't want to deal with Vista's birthing pains. Many of the posts on this board regarded 7 as some kind of Vista re-launch...but not in the good sense. When they finally, begrudgingly migrated to 7 they made it look, act, and feel just like XP. So while many of us have moved beyond the XP UI years ago, and now regard it as cludgy, there are still some people who think it's the best way to interact with their computers, programs, and files.

Comparing now to then, search was universally broken. I didn't use it much in Vista or 7 because it wasn't necessary for most daily tasks. It wasn't until 8 that one *must* use search periodically, if not regularly. The benefit of it is that now it functions quite well. It doesn't hurt that within that time frame from 7 to 8 I became much more familiar with OS X where things are much faster to launch from spotlight.

In fact, I used to think I was going to hate 8. But I started using it, partly because of heatlesssun's constant points about it (not that he eventually convinced me but rather that he wrote a UI tip that resolved one of my main issues I was encountering), and partly because as I became more familiar with the way it works my interactions became increasingly faster.

That and shiny is *always* better...confused how that point is routinely lost on this crowd ;)

I distinctly recall the whining about the classic start menu, because the new one took up so much space, which was patently false, unless you had few apps installed and/or had didn't have apps in a hierarchy (e.g. Entertainment/Audio/<AudioAppName>/<executables that app installed>

As for search, I don't recall how it worked in Vista, but I use it in 7 ALL THE TIME. I've always used it. I think in Vista, I put stuff in a hierarchy at first, but I may have started typing by the before 7 came out. I've been using 7 exclusively since it was RTM.

I think you misread what I wrote because you reiterated my points. I didn't say it sucked in 7 I said that it wasn't necessary for most daily tasks (because the Start menu was adaptive to the user).

So for people coming from XP where Search was basically non-functional and a Start menu was necessary, moving to 7 where Search is largely unnecessary because the Start menu adapts according to usage habits, they would view a Start menu as a necessary feature in Windows 8 when in fact it turns out to be slower than Win+Q.

Ah I see what you're saying. I guess that's true if you only use certain apps, but for me, the apps I use most are pinned to the the task bar. At work, it's sometimes on the Freq menu, but many are not and I'd much rather search for soap than try to remember the name of the s/w company which is 4 clicks away (including a click on the Windows button).

That said, I have no problem with them having a start menu. Sometimes I don't recall what the app name is, in which case hunting becomes necessary, though I could just search in explorer, i assume (as I've said, I don't currently use 8, though I'll probably get to it later this year).

it's not that he never sees anyone's position on it but more accurately that he doesn't get it when people say things that are simply put demonstrably false.

like the guy... <snip> who quoted me who claimed that Windows 8 was slower, buggier, and had less hardware support than Vista and Windows 7 did on day 1.

All of those things are just nonsensical ramblings if you've spent more than a passing minute with any of the OS's mentioned.

Anyone who says any post Vista OS had less H/W support than Vista never used Vista at launch. 7 had better H/W Support during Beta than Vista had at Launch. AMD, Nvidia, Creative and various other companies who dropped the ball during a long open beta (2 as I recall) and 2 RCs. As a result, you could argule MS should have recognized that and held not released the OS when they did. they'd already missed the Xmas window, but I suspect there was a lot of pressure from PC makers to get it out.

I love Windows 8

I've customized the Start screen to my preference - colors, background, tiles

I've never been one for the old Start menu. All those delayed menus, just too unwieldy

I wonder if all these "i love windows 8!!11" posts will actually help adoption rate.

My 8ball says "NOPE". The main gripe still exists, the fix is simple, MS refuses to implement it, the wallets will stay closed.

http://community.bingads.microsoft....search-ad-experiences-within-windows-8-1.aspx

HAHAHAHAHAH Oh god, I am dying here. I would love to see the Win 8 supporters Justify this one. Advertisements Built Directly into the OS..This is just comedy Gold. Have Fun with your Terrible UI and now Built in ADS. As If I didn't have enough reason to not upgrade to Win 8, they just put the ultimate reason to Never even Think about it.

Screenshot%20(32).png

From MS website "our goal is to make search advertising easier for our customers"
Shouldn't MS be giving away their OS if this is a goal? If advertisements come straight to my OS, shouldn't the ads be paying for the OS? Heck, we don't pay for browsers under the same logic.

It's decent, definitely the way Win8 should be, But Lightboost is borked in it.

From MS website "our goal is to make search advertising easier for our customers"
Shouldn't MS be giving away their OS if this is a goal? If advertisements come straight to my OS, shouldn't the ads be paying for the OS? Heck, we don't pay for browsers under the same logic.

But Bing is losing money at this point so that's impossible, especially for something that can be disabled. Here's your free OS with absolutely no way to make money on it.

But Bing is losing money at this point so that's impossible, especially for something that can be disabled. Here's your free OS with absolutely no way to make money on it.

Who gives a fuck about their sub-par search engine. Make it good and maybe people start using it.

Who gives a fuck about their sub-par search engine. Make it good and maybe people start using it.

I mostly use Google, but there's a MS site that does a search on Bing and Google and puts the results in 2 frames. The differences are minimal in most cases. The only real advantage i found was on programming related searches (which is what I do most searches on). If I searched on non programming terms, MS did as well or better.

And even in the programming realm, it was often a matter of what I was used to. I like stackoverflow when looking up how to do something in a language. Google generally puts them on top. MS generally had it a few links down, sometimes on the 2nd page.

For browsing images bing is better than google (though Google has partially copied Bing, which makes it closer).

BTW, the reason Google is better for the programming searches I do is because programmers use Google. Bing does better on other searches, because non-programmers use the default browser (IE) and the default search engine(bing) and MS gets more data on what people are interested in when searching for specific terms.

In short, Google has more data to go on. If everyone used Bing for a year, Bing would be much better at all searches.

I'm not telling anyone to switch, but that is how search engines work now.

Gah... I got tired of Win8. It takes too much away - yes, I miss aero - and doesn't give much back.

Unfortunately I'm lazy, so it keeps running on my main rig. Soon I will get off my ass and do it.

Back