Windows 7 Word Processor?

Fendrix

2[H]4U
I've been using Windows 7 for about a month now and I love it, hardly any complaints.

However will they have a new Office beta sometime in the near future? Or am I stuck to using Wordpad as part of 7's Accessories to write papers and whatnot?

What is stopping you from installing the current MS Office, OpenOffice or the many other free Office apps?

And you're not "stuck" using anything, you decided on you're own to install/run Win 7.

I was formerly running Linux so I don't have any purchased MS Office CDs.

As for OpenOffice I wasn't aware if there were any compatibility issues or not, although I'm willing to give it a shot. I was just asking for a quick head's up, there's no reason to get hostile.

Not hostile, just confused as to why you think you are stuck..

OpenOffice works fine, I run it on my Windows 7 laptop.

Open Office is working just fine in my Windows 7 setup.

Pretty much every word processor I've tried runs fine on Windows 7.

Word 2007
OpenOffice
Notepad++
Ultraedit
etc.

Pick whichever you prefer and go with it.

Pretty much every word processor I've tried runs fine on Windows 7.

Word 2007
OpenOffice
Notepad++
Ultraedit
etc.

Pick whichever you prefer and go with it.

I have OO 3.0.1 installed in 7 64-bit (primarily for converting Word docs to PDF); I also have Word 2007 (from Office 2007 SP1) installed, and have zero issues with either one.

Why both OO *and* Word?

I actually do the majority of my writing in Word (fanfiction), and publish as both Word and PDF-format documents. The big issue with *most* PDF conversion utilities is that the fonts get mangled on conversion, and this is especially noticeable in operating systems other than Windows; OO makes for an excellent proofer to spot that sort of font-mangling (as quite a few of my readers don't run Windows; hence they open the documents on a PDF viewer such as Evince, or in either NeoOffice on the Mac or OO). Besides, the big reason I stick with Office isn't Word, but Outlook (my e-mail application of choice), which uses the document and spell-checking engine from Word. OO doesn't do e-mail, and no other e-mail program is as easy (for me) to use as Outlook (save Evolution, which has no Windows version).

As for OpenOffice I wasn't aware if there were any compatibility issues or not, although I'm willing to give it a shot
In the Win7 beta, on every window, they have a "Send Feedback" button. The point of this button, is if you install say, OpenOffice, and it blows up utterly, and other people say "yeah it blows up for me too", you click that button, and you tell MS, then they figure out why it's broken.

You *are* a beta tester. You're not supposed to be worried about things not working. You're supposed to be looking forward to it.

I have OO 3.0.1 installed in 7 64-bit (primarily for converting Word docs to PDF); I also have Word 2007 (from Office 2007 SP1) installed, and have zero issues with either one.

Why both OO *and* Word?

I don't have both of them installed. I only use Word 2007.. but I TRIED both as part of the beta testing to see if there were any bugs or anything that didn't work quite right. As I said, I found nothing wrong with either one of them and then uninstalled OO and kept Word.

Oh, and if you want to convert word .doc files to .pdf, I can recommend PDFCreator - Tested and working on Windows 7.

As for OpenOffice I wasn't aware if there were any compatibility issues or not, although I'm willing to give it a shot.
Criccio wasn't being hostile, just confused like the rest of us. You are using a beta OS, which means the entire purpose of running Windows 7 right now is to load it up with your current and common apps to see what works and what doesn't. OpenOffice is free, and considering you were a Linux user, you'd be more likely to be familiar with OpenOffice than most.

I don't have both of them installed. I only use Word 2007.. but I TRIED both as part of the beta testing to see if there were any bugs or anything that didn't work quite right. As I said, I found nothing wrong with either one of them and then uninstalled OO and kept Word.

Oh, and if you want to convert word .doc files to .pdf, I can recommend PDFCreator - Tested and working on Windows 7.

The rhetorical question was aimed at those that would wonder why I have both OO and MS Office installed (I mirrored my Vista setup with 7, because I test operating systems by using them like an end-user). Sometimes, the font-mangling may not be apparent in Word (because Word may support the font); however, Linux (or a particular PDF viewer, such as Evince), may not, and instead substitute another, which will look "wrong". It's not exactly easy to font-match between three different OSes (Windows/Linux/OS X).

Word 2007 has a PDF add in that you can download from within. Works great from my experience.

I was formerly running Linux so I don't have any purchased MS Office CDs.

As for OpenOffice I wasn't aware if there were any compatibility issues or not, although I'm willing to give it a shot. I was just asking for a quick head's up, there's no reason to get hostile.

Open Office is free.

If you are a student, you can get Office 2007 Ultimate for $60 from http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/theultimatesteal-us/default.aspx

If not you can get Office 2007 Home and Student for about $100.

Back