Windows 7 won't install/run on HP DC7800p

the_b_man

Limp Gawd
I have an HP DC7800p convertible Minitower, and i'm trying to get Windows 7 on it. (Dual core, 6GB RAM...)

I've tried installing from two different Win7 DVDs, as well as a flash USB installer, which I have confirmed work on other PCs.

The installer hangs, with a corrupted screen during the expanding files phase (0%). The screen goes all "glasses 3D" with lines doubled up and the wrong colours.

I tried installing Win7 on the desired HD using a diferent machine, then transplanting the HD to the HP. The system reboots when the logo animation is in its early stage.

I tried to update the BIOS (put .bin file on root of DVD or USB, then use BIOS utility), but it says the file is missing or corrupted.

Oh, and I have TWO identical DC7800p's - they both do this.

What the heck is going on??? Thanks

That's odd, 3 weeks ago installed Win 7 on a HP Elite DC7800 SFF and had no issues. The only difference was that I was using a corporate network image (PXE Install) to install the PC but I had no problems win Win 7. The only thing I had to change were some of the drivers which our system database didn't have.

It sounds like the issue is the Motherboard (the SFF and the Minitower might use different boards), and I don't like that missing *.bin file error you are getting. Have you tried resetting the bios to factory settings?

I'd call HP and see what they say.

I have a few 7800 SFF's with W7, no issues, I know the 7800 towers we had couldnt use the same image as the SFF's....whats different?

7800dc list Windows 7 as a compatible OS (drivers are available).

Are the Windows DVD's genuine or something you burnt? Have you tried multiple download locations (not torrents)?

Also, you can install Windows 7 onto a different computer and transplant the drive, but you need to sysprep it first so the OS can detect and reinstall hardware. To do this, install the OS. Open run menu and type in sysprep. Then click sysprep.exe. A box pops up. Select Out of Box Experience, check Generalize, select Shutdown from Shutdown options, then press OK. Once the process completes and shuts down, pull the drive and connect it to the new computer. Don't power it back on until you put it into the new computer else you'll have to do the process over again.

Legit ISOs from my Technet. Two DVD burns and one USB stick image. Tested on other systems to be working. Memtest on the HP passes flawlessly. They shipped with Vista, which was wiped upon purchase and they ran XP 32 for the last few years.

Thanks for the tip on using sysprep - I will try that. I'm also going to try 32 bit Windows, even though the system is 64 bit.

Thanks for the tip on factory resetting the BIOS, I'll try that too.

7800dc list Windows 7 as a compatible OS (drivers are available).

Are the Windows DVD's genuine or something you burnt? Have you tried multiple download locations (not torrents)?

Also, you can install Windows 7 onto a different computer and transplant the drive, but you need to sysprep it first so the OS can detect and reinstall hardware. To do this, install the OS. Open run menu and type in sysprep. Then click sysprep.exe. A box pops up. Select Out of Box Experience, check Generalize, select Shutdown from Shutdown options, then press OK. Once the process completes and shuts down, pull the drive and connect it to the new computer. Don't power it back on until you put it into the new computer else you'll have to do the process over again.

I wish I would've known that I could do this weeks ago before I reinstalled Windows 8.1 on another system. I will keep this handy.

Tried sysprep'ing before transplanting - system just shut off during boot.
Tried using 32 bit Windows instead - screen glitched out during install.

I think I'm going to give up on these machines, neither of them seem able to boot or install, Windows 7. (They ran XP solidly for years in their previous life as corporate desktops, and pass Memtest) I'm utterly baffled.

Back