Windows 7 Won't Allow Native LCD Resolution

btx926

n00b
Hey all, wasn't sure if this was display or video card, so I put it in general hardware...I have a problem on a dual monitor setup where the analog montior cannot be set to it's native 1600x1200. Both the nvidia and microsoft (win7 64) resolution selection screens will not show the native resolution.

Setup:

1 Geforce 8400GS and two HP LP2065 monitors native at 1600x1200 on Win7 64.

Geforce --> DVI ---> DVI ---> Monitor 1
Geforce --> VGA ---> DVI ---> Monitor 2

This was working with both monitors at 1600x1200 on Win7 32. I recently upgraded to 64, and now I am unable to get the analog monitor into 1600x1200.

I have installed the LCD driver's from HP's website for Win7 64. I have installed the latest and one generation previous of the Nividia drivers. When I go into Nvidia control panel, it displays the "native" resolution as 1024x768.

I swapped cables between the two monitors, and the analog one always has this problem. I swapped in a new VGA to DVI cable and the problem remains. I used that cable and hooked the monitor up to a Vista machine, and it worked fine in 1600x1200. So, I am very certain at this point that the monitors are unlikely the culprit.

If I go into Nvidia's software and do a "custom" resolution to manufacture recommended 1600x1200 @60hz, 32 bit -- it will accept that resolution, but it is scaling it in software and the information panel in the monitor's firmware reports it as a much lower resolution. It is too blurry to be usable as well.

Any ideas on how I can work around this issue or where else I should look for assistance? Thanks for any help.

The HDCP status tab in control panel, do you have a "lock" for 2nd monitor?
drm might not like the analogue (vga) connection

I don't see a lock for it...I got a circle with a red x and a message saying that "your display does not support HDCP", however.

If you don't get solid responses in the next 24 hours, I'll move this thread over to the Video Card subforum.

Windows 7 64 differently recognizes EDID data acquired from your screen. I had similar with CRT monitor, which I wanted to run on 1280x960, but Win 7 always interpreted it as 1280x1024, or 1024x768, I fixed it via custom resolution but it was a bit messy work. I had to change all fields there, including pixel per inch on X, then on Y and sync rate, refresh rate and so on.

Windows 7 64 differently recognizes EDID data acquired from your screen. I had similar with CRT monitor, which I wanted to run on 1280x960, but Win 7 always interpreted it as 1280x1024, or 1024x768, I fixed it via custom resolution but it was a bit messy work. I had to change all fields there, including pixel per inch on X, then on Y and sync rate, refresh rate and so on.

Is there any tool out there that would let me gather that information (I assume that they are the same between the digital and analog since it is the same monitor?) from the digital monitor? I saw how to set all that stuff in the Nvidia software when I was goofing with it. Thanks.

There is -- PowerStrip will tell you this, and this solved my problem. Well done, sir. Thank you VERY much...saved my day.

Last edited:
Back