Windows 7 update issue - Messed up Resolution

Siriusmuzik

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi guys, I googled and have found people with similar issues but no resolution.

Windows updated my computer, and on the next bootup everything was reverted to 800x600 resolution. I could not fix it by going to desktop properties or anything. I uninstalled the video driver, rebooted, installed new drivers, rebooted, and it still won't find my native resolution which is 2048x1152. It will let me change to 1920x1200 and 1920x1080, but nothing else. And the desktop properties won't even let me change it to that, I have to do it through CCC.

I tried restoring to an earlier point in time, but that just messed it up even more to where icons didn't work and my internet wouldn't even work. So I undid the restore, and the internet works once again but the video issue still is present.

Anyone know what the issue is?

Thank you

Uninstall the video drivers again, then run driver cleaner. Reboot the computer, reinstall the latest driver set. hat should take care of it. It sounds like windows keeps installing the OE drivers that are in Windows or the broken drivers that are currently installed. Running driver cleaner will insure that the broken drivers are removed from the machine giving you the opportunity to install the new ones.
Also, make sure Windows is seeing your monitor as what it really is. If there is a driver from the mfg. website, make sure to download it and install it. That is not your "everyday" resolution, so Windows might not be seeing the monitor for what it is. you are able to see 1080 and 1200 so that tells me that the monitor drivers might be screwed also. Getting 2048 will definitely take the right monitor drivers, as most monitors will only do 1920.

Fish :cool:

Last edited:
Hi there Fish,

Drive sweeper doesn't work. Did exactly what you suggested.

My videocard isn't being detected. It says Generic PnP, it used to say ATI 4850.

Any other suggestions?

You can go into Device Manager, and manually update the Generic PnP Video Card to the driver files that were extracted when you ran the ATI Installer. Once you do that, reboot, and the CCC should load for you, and everything should be normal.

Drive Sweeper is an entirely different program than Driver Cleaner. Driver Cleaner is designed specifically to remove old drivers before installing new ones.

Fish :cool:

Hi guys, I googled and have found people with similar issues but no resolution.

Windows updated my computer, and on the next bootup everything was reverted to 800x600 resolution. I could not fix it by going to desktop properties or anything. I uninstalled the video driver, rebooted, installed new drivers, rebooted, and it still won't find my native resolution which is 2048x1152. It will let me change to 1920x1200 and 1920x1080, but nothing else. And the desktop properties won't even let me change it to that, I have to do it through CCC.

I tried restoring to an earlier point in time, but that just messed it up even more to where icons didn't work and my internet wouldn't even work. So I undid the restore, and the internet works once again but the video issue still is present.

Anyone know what the issue is?

Thank you

Which windows update, what video card model, and x86 or x64?

Hello, it is Windows 7 professional x64 and Radeon 4860. How do I find out what update version? Thank you

Fish - I will do the driver cleaner now. Thanks for clarifying

Is your monitor being detected as anything other than Generic PnP Monitor or the likes?

Last edited:
Hello, it is Windows 7 professional x64 and Radeon 4860. How do I find out what update version? Thank you

Fish - I will do the driver cleaner now. Thanks for clarifying

If you recently installed the update, you can go to Windows Update and click "view update history"

Okay guys. I found out what the problem was. It looks like my kittens love chewing on things, and they chewed a big hole in my cable. I replaced the cable and voila, works fine and dandy.

Anyone have suggestions to keep cute critters from chewing on cables? :D

Okay guys. I found out what the problem was. It looks like my kittens love chewing on things, and they chewed a big hole in my cable. I replaced the cable and voila, works fine and dandy.

Anyone have suggestions to keep cute critters from chewing on cables? :D

A gun? ;)

this is why you never set your PC to automatically update. Windows video drivers are typically several versions behind what ATi and Nvidia offer. I had a windows update driver kill blu-ray playback on my old laptop cause I was silly and forgot to uncheck the Nvidia driver for the Vostro 1400 lol

P.S.give the kitten a treat for chewing through your cord :p

this is why you never set your PC to automatically update. Windows video drivers are typically several versions behind what ATi and Nvidia offer. I had a windows update driver kill blu-ray playback on my old laptop cause I was silly and forgot to uncheck the Nvidia driver for the Vostro 1400 lol

P.S.give the kitten a treat for chewing through your cord :p

This is horrible advice, and should not be followed.

This is horrible advice, and should not be followed.

lol

okay you can leave YOUR computer to auto update and then you can wonder why something quit working......or you can let it notify you when updates are available and you can CHOOSE which updates to install. No way I want my computer to revert back to an older driver available on Windows update when I already have the newest one installed from the manufacturer. There have been plenty of times where a windows update has buggered up a machine due to some incompatable driver.........

so before you try to say something is bad advice, might want to actually think the process through.......

lol

okay you can leave YOUR computer to auto update and then you can wonder why something quit working......or you can let it notify you when updates are available and you can CHOOSE which updates to install. No way I want my computer to revert back to an older driver available on Windows update when I already have the newest one installed from the manufacturer. There have been plenty of times where a windows update has buggered up a machine due to some incompatable driver.........

so before you try to say something is bad advice, might want to actually think the process through.......
First of all, you can choose to only install critical security updates, or all updates. There's more granularity than "all updates including drivers" and "no updates until you click okay." Second, the vast majority of updates, drivers included, have no negative impact on systems. Third, most people are not qualified to know which updates to install or not install. As a result, people fall behind on applying even critical updates, leaving their systems vulnerable to already patched issues. Fourth, Windows update will not apply a driver version that is older than the one you have installed, so your point is fatally flawed.

I will continue to auto update my machines, because, frankly, I know the risks of not doing so outweigh the very small potential that I have to reconfigure my graphics driver (and I work on the graphics driver team, so I am pretty well aware what goes on in that space)

I'll also note that changing your system not to auto update has nothing to do with kittens chewing on cables.

First of all, you can choose to only install critical security updates, or all updates. There's more granularity than "all updates including drivers" and "no updates until you click okay." Second, the vast majority of updates, drivers included, have no negative impact on systems. Third, most people are not qualified to know which updates to install or not install. As a result, people fall behind on applying even critical updates, leaving their systems vulnerable to already patched issues. Fourth, Windows update will not apply a driver version that is older than the one you have installed, so your point is fatally flawed.

I will continue to auto update my machines, because, frankly, I know the risks of not doing so outweigh the very small potential that I have to reconfigure my graphics driver (and I work on the graphics driver team, so I am pretty well aware what goes on in that space)

First..... lol i see u have to back pedal and explain your self so that means I have a valid point after all,,,

Second.... kinda sucks when you say something stupid and then get called out on it....... I would like to thank you for admitting that there can be updates that can adversely affect people's machines.

Third..... and setting the machine to show you the updates before you install them leaves you at risk how? oh that's right it dosen't but it does allow people who are somewhat tech savy to review the updates and skip the one that may cause your system to BSOD, crash, become unstable, or refuse to boot after the update (yeah like that has NEVER EVER happened before with MS and a critical system update)

and fourth you are full of something:

1. on my Dell Studio 15 laptop Windows update just the other day presented a ATi driver that was at least 2 versions older than the one currently installed ......

2. Had it happen with Nvidia as well where Windows installed an older driver over a newer one and broke blu-ray support. Reinstalling the newest driver fixed that issue.

3. Windows update may also present you with a driver that is not compatable with your device even though it should be becuase of the manufacturer tweaking it to their needs.

4. WIndows update will present you with a driver that is WHQL certified if your current driver is not and it could be older.

and I have my system set to notify me when updates are available so I can review them and install them.... Yeah, I know most people are lazy and don't want to take the extra minute or two to see what is going to be put on their machines or to see if one of the new updates has problems but hey I'd rather not try to troubleshoot a buggered up machine......

I'm done with you, you clearly don't know what you're talking about. Unsubscribed.

I honestly don't set my PC to auto-update, especially in the beginning. I like the fact that Windows 7 has so many drivers available, but I prefer to use the manufacturer drivers if possible. I always set my systems to notify me of updates, but to let me install them. I've had several hardware issues as well, due to bad drivers coming down through Windows Update. JMicron anyone? If it is a system that runs all the time, and I've installed all the proper drivers, I might consider moving it to auto-update....or if it is a family members system who I know won't remember to do the updates themselves.

Back