Windows 7 unable to find XP machines

GeorgeHR

Gawd
Most of our computers run XP. They have no problems in finding each other. I can even search for a computer in Explorer. No problems.

We have a new computer. It runs 7. If it is on when an XP computer starts up, it sees the computer.

The problem is that computers that are running when the 7 computer starts up are not seen by the 7 computer. And I don't know how to search for the computers.

Most of our computers run XP. They have no problems in finding each other. I can even search for a computer in Explorer. No problems.

We have a new computer. It runs 7. If it is on when an XP computer starts up, it sees the computer.

The problem is that computers that are running when the 7 computer starts up are not seen by the 7 computer. And I don't know how to search for the computers.

I just install Win 7 Ultimate on one of my systems. What I noticed is that on my XP systems, when I try to open up the icon for my Win 7 system, it sometimes takes over a minute to respond. I have no idea why, since all the systems are running the same version of Norton Internet security.

Some network authentication protocol that Vista established.

Also, did you set the network (in 7) to "public?" That setting makes Win7 to stop all unsolicited incomming requests (iirc).

Set it to "work" or "home."

and also turn on network discovery in win7.

and get ride of norton inet security, unless it is the latest version, even then if you have a router, MSE and windows firewall is fine for protection

Either in address bar of explorer, or hit start and enter the name of the XP machine:

\\XPCOMPUTERNAME
(backslash backslash computername)
and hit enter

Back