Windows 7 sudden BSODs

ashmelev75

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello!

I've been using Windows7 RC1 since June 5th and RTM since mid-August and had no issues whatsoever up until Oct 5th when Win7 suddenly started to blue-screen on resume from sleep. I used Sleep mode instead of shut down all these months and it worked fine.

Blue screens happen right after I push a button on the keyboard and windows starts to wake up (bugcheck 0x000000f4 or 0x0000007a) right before or after the password primpt. After BSOD the computer restarts and sometimes instead of a regular boot it does a resume and works fine after that.

I tried to follow http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330100

1) Replaced SATA cables
2) Verified that the boot HDD is connected to the SATA1
3) Moved the page file to a different drive
4) Ran chkdsk /r
5) Ran few passes of memtest
6) Checked S.M.A.R.T. info

So I'm out of options and still have no idea what's going on.

Hardware:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, I7-920, 6GB OCZ DDR3, WD Black 640GB on SATA1, DVD drive on SATA2, Seagate 7200.11 500GB drive on SATA3, Video ATI 4870, PC P&C 750W PSU, no overclocking.

Mr.OppressoLiber

[H]ard|Gawd
Have you checked to see if Asus has an updated BIOS? My P35-DS4 and Vista/Win7 wouldn't sleep/wake and then an updated bios fixed the problem.

Last edited:

ashmelev75

[H]ard|Gawd
Have you checked to see if Asus has an updated BIOS? My P35-DS4 and Vista/Win7 wouldn't sleep and then an updated bios fixed the problem.

There's an updated BIOS and that's what I'm going to try next, but Win7 worked fine for 3 month with the old one.

Standpoint

[H]ard|Gawd
I get this problem in Win7 Pro 64 coming out of sleep w/ an older USB ext HDD plugged in. As long as I don't have the ext plugged in I'm fine.

xxGriff

[H]ard|Gawd
the vast majority of BSOD are caused by drivers. look at the logs and you can see what is causing the BS. was a driver updated?

i doubt a BIOS upgrade will correct the issue or is causing the problem.

oh ..what video card you have installed? and driver rev for it?

ashmelev75

[H]ard|Gawd
the vast majority of BSOD are caused by drivers. look at the logs and you can see what is causing the BS. was a driver updated?
I doubt a BIOS upgrade will correct the issue or is causing the problem.
oh ..what video card you have installed? and driver rev for it?

I did a system rollback yesterday to s snapshot made in mid-September, so I think everything or anything installed or updated later should be gone, but the problem remain.

The video card is ATI 4870, Catalyst 9.9 was the latest driver I used.

ashmelev75

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, on my last attempt to rule out things that could be triggering crashes, I came to Auzentech Prelude X-Fi driver. It appears that BSODs only happen with DDL or DTS encoders enabled. I tried to turn them off and did 3 sleep / wake up cycles and each time windows woke up fine, no BSOD.

4saken

[H]F Junkie
I have had issues with a BSOD on 64 bit win 7 from sleep also. It only happened twice, both times i plugged in a USB device while it was sleeping. But since this was right after my initial install, i disabled sleep since i dont use it anyway. No BSODs since.