Windows 7 sudden BSODs

ashmelev75

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello!

I've been using Windows7 RC1 since June 5th and RTM since mid-August and had no issues whatsoever up until Oct 5th when Win7 suddenly started to blue-screen on resume from sleep. I used Sleep mode instead of shut down all these months and it worked fine.

Blue screens happen right after I push a button on the keyboard and windows starts to wake up (bugcheck 0x000000f4 or 0x0000007a) right before or after the password primpt. After BSOD the computer restarts and sometimes instead of a regular boot it does a resume and works fine after that.

I tried to follow http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330100

1) Replaced SATA cables
2) Verified that the boot HDD is connected to the SATA1
3) Moved the page file to a different drive
4) Ran chkdsk /r
5) Ran few passes of memtest
6) Checked S.M.A.R.T. info

So I'm out of options and still have no idea what's going on.

Hardware:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, I7-920, 6GB OCZ DDR3, WD Black 640GB on SATA1, DVD drive on SATA2, Seagate 7200.11 500GB drive on SATA3, Video ATI 4870, PC P&C 750W PSU, no overclocking.

Have you checked to see if Asus has an updated BIOS? My P35-DS4 and Vista/Win7 wouldn't sleep/wake and then an updated bios fixed the problem.

Last edited:
Have you checked to see if Asus has an updated BIOS? My P35-DS4 and Vista/Win7 wouldn't sleep and then an updated bios fixed the problem.

There's an updated BIOS and that's what I'm going to try next, but Win7 worked fine for 3 month with the old one.

I get this problem in Win7 Pro 64 coming out of sleep w/ an older USB ext HDD plugged in. As long as I don't have the ext plugged in I'm fine.

the vast majority of BSOD are caused by drivers. look at the logs and you can see what is causing the BS. was a driver updated?

i doubt a BIOS upgrade will correct the issue or is causing the problem.

oh ..what video card you have installed? and driver rev for it?

the vast majority of BSOD are caused by drivers. look at the logs and you can see what is causing the BS. was a driver updated?
I doubt a BIOS upgrade will correct the issue or is causing the problem.
oh ..what video card you have installed? and driver rev for it?

I did a system rollback yesterday to s snapshot made in mid-September, so I think everything or anything installed or updated later should be gone, but the problem remain.

The video card is ATI 4870, Catalyst 9.9 was the latest driver I used.

Well, on my last attempt to rule out things that could be triggering crashes, I came to Auzentech Prelude X-Fi driver. It appears that BSODs only happen with DDL or DTS encoders enabled. I tried to turn them off and did 3 sleep / wake up cycles and each time windows woke up fine, no BSOD.

I have had issues with a BSOD on 64 bit win 7 from sleep also. It only happened twice, both times i plugged in a USB device while it was sleeping. But since this was right after my initial install, i disabled sleep since i dont use it anyway. No BSODs since.

Back