Windows 7 Sleep mode and SSD?

What is the general concensus on letting your windows 7 pc go into sleep mode with an SSD drive?

If its cool do you let the machine power off the hard drive at all or leave it on?

Well, my motherboard has issues coming out of sleep, so I never use sleep function at all, but rather just shut my machine down completely. Since I have the SSD and its rather quick, booting up or shutting down is really short, so I don't miss sleep at all. My son's rig uses sleep though, and he has a vertex 3 60GB drive as cache on a z68 board and it works fine for him...

if you have regular hard disks in with your ssd, then yes you should power down the hard drives.

it would be nice if windows let you choose which hard drives you can power down in the energy savings.

When the computer sleeps, it powers down all the hard drives (at least in S3 sleep). If you are talking about normal idle shut-down of drives, then yes you can have it power down the idle SSD if you want.

In the past, the reason for not powering down the SSD was so that it can do proper garbage collection when idle. But now, with TRIM, there is no longer a need to let it sit idle.

sorry to revive such an old thread, but my question is right in line with the OP.

i just got a crucial m4 128GB. i'm running it as my OS drive and then i've got a 2TB seagate (for storage) and a 500GB seagate (my old OS drive, now for storage) as well.

i am incredibly used to using sleep. i don't use hybrid sleep or hibernation. i have c3/c6/c7 states as well as c1e disabled in my bios. only turbo boost and eist are enabled. so i think my system is only going into s3 sleep. i have my power profile set to "high performance" with hard disks to turn off set to never, and the computer going to sleep after three hours. TRIM is enabled on the ssd, and i'm running the latest chipset and sata drivers from intel.

so is three hours of idle time enough for this ssd? between TRIM and ITGC (garbage collection) is this thing going to keep itself "up to snuff" so to speak with the sleep settings i'm using? i'm wayyy late to the ssd game, and i'm probably paranoid over nothing, but i wouldn't be [h] if i didn't want to get everything just right. :p

You should be fine. I sleep mine all time when I'm not using it, and I've never run into any problems. It'll be idle enough that it'll take care of itself.

think i could shrink the time-to-sleep then? i'm used to more like 30 mins to an hour.

I would think so - if you notice any problems you can always push it back some.

If you're running it under a TRIM-enabled OS, it really won't be doing much GC while idle anyway.

Back