Windows 7 RC will shut down every 2 hours starting March 1, 2010

I knew this whole free for a year thing was too good to be true and would get shit on somehow.

Just get the "real" version of 7 when it comes out. I'm pretty sure it'll be out before March 1st., of 2010. There, problem solved...

I had heard people mentioning March, and some others June, as the expiry date.
When I saw this, I thought it may explain why two different dates.

I just wanted to share. Not really meant to be a complaint.

I knew this whole free for a year thing was too good to be true and would get shit on somehow.

Wow, so until March is not enough for you for free? Just dont install it then.

Its not like this is meant to be a free giveaway or something FYI. You still will need to buy Win 7 if you want to continue using it no matter what.

Yeah, how dare they only give out an OS for free that lasts for only a year.:rolleyes:

I'm just kidding, this is a better representation of my feelings:
tinyviolin.jpg

Wow, so until March is not enough for you for free? Just dont install it then.

Its not like this is meant to be a free giveaway or something FYI. You still will need to buy Win 7 if you want to continue using it no matter what.

lol u guys miss the point......so you tell everyone that it is free until June 2010 but you put in 2 hour shutdown timers that activate in May? I mean what kind of BS is that?

So tell me what is a person to do when in May of next year they build a new PC and want to try windows 7 on it (becuase it is still "free") and the stupid thing shuts down every 2 hours? talk about pissing off a potential customer.....

If MS states that it is usable until June 2010, leave it usable until then and then turn it off and be done with it..lol no need to play games with it, now is there?

As long as...

a) Windows 7 blows my socks off enough to buy it

b) It comes out before the 2 hourly shutdowns start

I really couldn't care less because I'll buy it when it comes out if I like it and wont buy it if I dont :p (waiting for my internet's off peak before I download it tonight).

So tell me what is a person to do when in May of next year they build a new PC and want to try windows 7 on it (becuase it is still "free") and the stupid thing shuts down every 2 hours? talk about pissing off a potential customer.....

Oh, I'd probably tell that person to try a RETAIL copy of 7 instead of the RC and take advantage of the 30 days grace period before activation....

Next march... the RC should be a fond memory and people should be using the gold edition.

Just get the "real" version of 7 when it comes out. I'm pretty sure it'll be out before March 1st., of 2010. There, problem solved...

But some people have better things to do in real life than reinstall their OS every several months.

But some people have better things to do in real life than reinstall their OS every several months.

errr no I dont... well i just do an unattended install.... doesnt take much at all...

as long as data is backed up...

but I too agree that I cant wait for it to come out... i have a few machines to buy it for.... so it will be pricey... and hopefully they dont charge $400 or so that they want for vista ultimate!!!!!!!

All I can say is MS is giving away a free trial of their new operating to increase good will amongst the tech crowd. These are people naturally inclined to mess with their systems and OS reinstalls simply aren't a big deal to them. Tech folks tend to do reinstalls anyway. MS is completely upfront on the download page of how this trial is going to work, not hiding information about automatic shutdowns until after the OS is already installed. It would be better, in my opinion, of they simply had a shut-off date for the RC instead of the rolling shutdowns leading to a shut-off date, but whatever it's their product and their choice. In the end I get a preview of the next windows, 100% working and completely free, until March of next year. I find there to be very little to complain about in this scenario.

errr no I dont... well i just do an unattended install.... doesnt take much at all...

as long as data is backed up...

For "test rigs" or your additional rigs...yeah no problem since it takes like 20 minutes to install, or basic common use that even geek squad turds can save and restore basic data like Faves/Bookmarks, My Docs, e-mail, etc. But for my primary rigs like my laptop, primary home rig, main office workstation....I have waaaaaay too many settings such as VPNs and wireless access to my many clients, server and LAN management, settings to access my clients networks on the fly from anywhere....

The level of freebie puke is getting waist-deep now. Two. Thousand. And. Ten.

If you can't mow enough lawns by then to buy a retail copy...

really?

THEN DONT INSTALL A TIME LIMITED BETA YOU MORON

QFT

I see so many people here bitching about this or that limit on Win7. Do people really miss the point that these are beta and release candidates? As in, software which is not finished, and not meant for your daily use. MS themselves say running it as your primary OS is at your own risk. This is still the testing phase.

Also, you aren't entitled to Win 7. Microsoft is offering you a chance to test a new OS for free if you wish. If you don't want to deal with the problems of a test, stick with Vista/XP/Linux or whatever other OS you currently have.

I had heard people mentioning March, and some others June, as the expiry date.
When I saw this, I thought it may explain why two different dates.

I just wanted to share. Not really meant to be a complaint.

Well the information is good to know for a lot of people I'm sure. My original comments were directed more towards drifterx37. I mean sure if you were really hoping to ride out using the RC until June, before having to get the full version, it sort of sucks... but Microsoft has been running a public beta, allowing pretty much everybody to take their highly anticipated OS for a test spin. Giving us almost an entire year is nice, even though it looks like it starts to shut down before the June date.

people who only want to install their OS once every X years have no business installing a beta or RC version of any OS. They are better of waiting for the retail release.

I'll download and install the RC 64 bit one of these days, before march next year i will either return my desktop to linux only (unlikely, i like my games), or buy a retail windows 7 license, by march i will have had a full year to eval it anyway (been in the beta since its release)

For "test rigs" or your additional rigs...yeah no problem since it takes like 20 minutes to install, or basic common use that even geek squad turds can save and restore basic data like Faves/Bookmarks, My Docs, e-mail, etc. But for my primary rigs like my laptop, primary home rig, main office workstation....I have waaaaaay too many settings such as VPNs and wireless access to my many clients, server and LAN management, settings to access my clients networks on the fly from anywhere....

It only is for testing, this is still an RC...not a final product.

I think its funny how starting with Vista and now with Win 7 everyone starts running the betas and RCs as their main OS...that is not what they are for.

lol u guys miss the point......so you tell everyone that it is free until June 2010 but you put in 2 hour shutdown timers that activate in May? I mean what kind of BS is that?

If MS states that it is usable until June 2010, leave it usable until then and then turn it off and be done with it..lol no need to play games with it, now is there?

First if you buy a computer next year, I would hope it would come with Windows 7. If you build one next year, why would you still want to use an RC build when the RTM would be out by then? Yes you would have to pay for it, but if you're that interested in Windows 7, why not just try it out now? You'll then know if you want it for your next build or not.

Windows 7 will be RTM by September and available on computers and store shelves by Halloween (that's the end of October, yanno) and rolled up and ready to go for the holiday season...

Then don't install BETA software. It's a real easy concept. IF you don't want to fuck around with software, don't install software that is distributed so people can fuck around with it and make sure it doesn't have any bugs.

Fuck, if you want a free OS, get Linux and stop bitching about Microsoft putting limits on it's software.

You are all right, it isn't that big a deal and trying it for as long as it will be available is rad. I'm going to buy it one way or the other, but I do remember thinking free for a year is too good to be true, and now apparently Microsoft agrees.

Last edited:
This is funny, I read about this a while back and just figured everybody knew since it was just posted so plainly on the MS website.

When everyone was talking about the June 2010 expiration I almost piped up but figured, again, everybody had to know.

As long as I can buy the fully-polished RTM before this starts, I don't give a crap. Sorry, but this is yet another example of phony outrage over something that anyone with a brain wouldn't give a hoot about.

Windows 7 RC will shut down every 2 hours starting March 1, 2010

So basically it will be a Windows Millennium Edition emulator? ;)

I'm still trying to figure out why you would want or expect to run a beta OS for YEARS? It's a good beta but..c'mon

facepalm.jpg

Last edited:

You missed the point that they're not telling everyone that it's free for their own use however they see fit. They're telling everyone "Hey, this is our next version of Windows, we've fixed all the problem we could find in the Beta stage and think it's stable enough to send out to stores, but before we do, do us a favor and break it if you can so we can fix the things we're overlooking."

Unless you've burned it to DVD, Windows 7 RC will not be available beyond RTM, much less next May. So, rebooting every two hours is a reminder that "Hey, you're not using an official MS product and it's about to expire, you might want to get this fixed soon."

By the way, they did the same damn thing with Vista RC program, except it was only 9 months instead of a whole year. A family member of mine started freaking out when her system started rebooting every two hours. I explained why it did that and she was okay with it. She went out and bought a retail version of Vista to replace it.

Then you shouldnt be running betas and RC OS's on it as everyone else has pointed out, you should be using a final, complete OS, period, people who have access to the beta's and RC's likely know the potential consequences, dont like it, dont install it.

I knew this was going to happen, just didn't know when it would.

Come on guys... jump in the way back machine and think back to when the Vista beta's were out..... bitching and moaning over this and that.

Here's the difference. Most of the threads regarding 7 have been positive, as they should be. I honestly don't understand how this is a bad thing. They are basically giving away a stable, fully functioning OS for a YEAR.... how many people here keep the same install for more than a year?

I thought I was one of the rare few around here that average 8 to 10 months on the same install..... I mean seriously, what's the big fucking deal here? We all back our important shit up anyhow, nothing new there. Either stay away from using beta software or accept it and install a retail copy when it comes out... damn.

Apparently not if you're installing what is effectively a BETA3. Get your head out of your sense of entitlement and realize that not only have you been given their new OS for free but you have it for a year as opposed to a few months. :rolleyes:

Apparently not if you're installing what is effectively a BETA3. Get your head out of your sense of entitlement and realize that not only have you been given their new OS for free but you have it for a year as opposed to a few months. :rolleyes:

Beta 3? Please don't tell me your counting Vista as Beta 1.

Back