Windows 7 PC users refusing to move to Windows 10

He claims he has examined the data and has seen no evidence of Microsoft spying, the data is encrypted so he examined no data. He is a shill as are all of zdnet.

Where did he claim he "examined the data"? And how many articles have there been of people claiming that Microsoft was spying like the Czech guy claiming that Microsoft was secretly recording video and other very specific details of what was in that same encrypted data?

"Can't we all just... get along?" :D

ax8e4Ly.jpg

:D

As I said, the data is encrypted so he examined nothing.

Fair enough. But that goes for anyone making claims. However there are know data elements that Microsoft is collecting as they specifically list some of them. This isn't totally opaque, there is a known list of data that is shared at each of the various settings, up to and including personal file info at certain settings.

I went to Windows 10 as soon as it was available, and then updated to the latest release a couple of weeks ago. As of right now I'm back to Windows 7 and I'm blocking the attempts to get me to upgrade again. I kept having issues that seemed to have no fix. These two were the most annoying:

* Windows would randomly shut down by itself without any explanation. A google search shows plenty of people having this issue but nothing that stopped it from happening for me.
* Network issues, like Steam being unable to browse lan servers etc. This happened with the latest major update (1511).

I'll try it again in six months to a year, in the mean time I'm happily using 7 with no issues.

At this point I have no trust in MS; they've obliterated those bridges to pieces.
Maybe right now, you have to actually allow the install; at what point does the option go away? They're already changing their tune on the updates, going from Optional to Recommended to Mandatory (for all intents and purposes). Their story and excuses change every time.

Again, no faith in them for me. I would not be surprised to see news articles within 9 months stating that people went to bed after locking their 7 machine and woke up to a 10 OOBE screen. Legality be damned, would not surprise me in the least. Because of this, I'm turning off updates rather than letting my machines check for them anymore. I can deal with a 10 OOBE screen in the morning - but I don't want to. I own no tinfoil hats but MS has fooled me (and many others) too many times at this point. Once again, they are ignoring options and settings that people have set on their machines, and reverting them back to their [MS's] favor on a whim in an attempt to gain another upgrader.

I woke up this morning to find that Windows Update on my laptop (but not my desktop) wanted to install Win 10. I went to the optional updates, unchecked the Win 10 box, rebooted. I checked Windows Update, and Win 10 is no longer listed, but when I clicked the start button, Win 10 still started to install. Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot?

So it seems that I can't do any more Windows 7 or Office 2013 updates if I don't want to install Win 10. So it seems that Microsoft is not honoring its commitment to support Win 7 until 2020.

Anyone have any suggestions to defeat this automatic upgrade? I can't do the metered connection trick because Win 7 doesn't have an option to indicate that a particular wireless connection is metered. Or did I miss something?

I am NOT a happy camper right now. Maybe I need go to Walmarts and try on some tinfoil hats.

I woke up this morning to find that Windows Update on my laptop (but not my desktop) wanted to install Win 10. I went to the optional updates, unchecked the Win 10 box, rebooted. I checked Windows Update, and Win 10 is no longer listed, but when I clicked the start button, Win 10 still started to install. Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot?

So it seems that I can't do any more Windows 7 or Office 2013 updates if I don't want to install Win 10. So it seems that Microsoft is not honoring its commitment to support Win 7 until 2020.

Anyone have any suggestions to defeat this automatic upgrade? I can't do the metered connection trick because Win 7 doesn't have an option to indicate that a particular wireless connection is metered. Or did I miss something?

I am NOT a happy camper right now. Maybe I need go to Walmarts and try on some tinfoil hats.

Post a screenshot. I think there's a way around this and I suspect if we can see what you're seeing, one of us will be able to help you out.

Anyone have any suggestions to defeat this automatic upgrade?

Use DWS to remove the suspect updates, and then use GWX Control Panel to get rid of the app itself and disallow Windows Update to 'AllowOSUpgrade'.

The nonsense continues...
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3014...like-tactics-to-trick-you-into-upgrading.html
Do you want to download Windows 10 now or now? That’s the question I found myself faced with when I opened an irregularly used Windows 8.1 laptop last night.

Once a small box begging for a reservation in the corner of the screen, the “Get Windows 10” pop-up prompt has morphed to consume the majority of the display, and worse, it only presents users with two clear actionable buttons: Upgrade now, and Start download, upgrade later. There’s no immediate “No thanks” option whatsoever.
https://twitter.com/BradChacos/status/675122217940860928/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
OCZtXiF.jpg

Last edited:

Maybe I misunderstood. Is that your windows update screen and is it preventing you from installing windows 7/office 2013 updates? I'd think you could X out and go to windows update and install patches.

Is that wrong? What does your windows update window look like?

Not mine - linked from the article and the Twitter post.
Posted it just for topic to show that there's no cancel or deny buttons anymore; user supposedly can X out but then it pops up again.

I have updates turned off now, but before I did that, I had not installed any of the telemetry or 10-related updates so I haven't seen a single nag on my systems. Now that they're changing the GP 'AllowOSUpgrade' setting (and assumedly also the registry entry that is the equivalent), I've turned off updates because it's gotten past the point of ridiculousness.

Maybe I misunderstood. Is that your windows update screen and is it preventing you from installing windows 7/office 2013 updates? I'd think you could X out and go to windows update and install patches.

Is that wrong? What does your windows update window look like?

Not my update screen. I'm the guy who can't update Win 7 and Office 2013, 61 updates in all. I tried to turn off the Win 10 "optional" update by unchecking the box and hiding that update, but that didn't help.

I need to follow the suggestions above and then I'll report back to the group.

I removed updates related to the Win 10 "nag ware" then I took ownership of the folder where GWX was and deleted that. I've updates on my computer set to download but not to auto install. Now, I'm watching important and recommended updates closely.

Last edited:
On my 8.1 virtual machine, Win10 button nags constantly about updating to Win10 and yet when I press it, it tells that my computer is not compatible with WIn10 lol. How dumb is that.

I'm so happy I can leave Windows for 1 odd task per week.

I have updates options disabled completely, and now rely on using Autopatcher, which groups the security updates into one option, and all the others in another. So no telemetry are in the security option with Autopatcher. Also, the other part that is nice about Autopatcher, is it gives you a good description on each KB patch, and not the same verbiage that MS uses

I've been seeing reports that admins running Server 2012 are getting nag messages for Windows 10 upgrades. That's just incredibly wrong.

I've been seeing reports that admins running Server 2012 are getting nag messages for Windows 10 upgrades. That's just incredibly wrong.

That means that any possible exploits that affect desktops will affect the servers. P2p distribution of updates with your production servers chained in it? Mmmmm... tasty.

So would that not mean that those server admins installed the updates that included the installation of the nag messages? I'm not familiar with server OS, just going by Windows 7 in that you have to install certain KB's that include the installation of those nag messages. I don't think they just pop up without installing an update to begin with, right? If I'm right then shame on those server admins for not doing their homework in checking out what each KB is before installing them. If I'm wrong then I apologize.

So no telemetry are in the security option with Autopatcher.

FYI Autopatcher still has bad updates including KB3035583 which is the worst arguably (installs GWX). Listed as a Critical update in AP.

You still have to pay attention to what you're installing. Apps like Autopatcher are there to mass install updates, not remove updates that are questionable (out of the box). There's a bunch under AP's Non-Critical that are recommended to NOT install (if you want to keep telemetry, CEIP and 10-related off your system) as well.

I just used AP yesterday for a fresh install, AP fully up to date. The updates are all there. Again, be mindful; it's not a complete answer. I also recommend checking for updates in Windows Update and hide those that are questionable, because AP is still missing a bunch that are safe to install. Otherwise, yes, updates should be turned off at this point for anyone using 7 or 8.

Last edited:
Perhaps a place for a class action suit? Win10 was not free but spyware financed.

Perhaps a place for a class action suit? Win10 was not free but spyware financed.

Unlike the internet, you have to prove your accusations in court. Short of a smoking gun that case is a loser.

FYI Autopatcher still has bad updates including KB3035583 which is the worst arguably (installs GWX). Listed as a Critical update in AP.

You still have to pay attention to what you're installing. Apps like Autopatcher are there to mass install updates, not remove updates that are questionable (out of the box). There's a bunch under AP's Non-Critical that are recommended to NOT install (if you want to keep telemetry, CEIP and 10-related off your system) as well.

I just used AP yesterday for a fresh install, AP fully up to date. The updates are all there. Again, be mindful; it's not a complete answer. I also recommend checking for updates in Windows Update and hide those that are questionable, because AP is still missing a bunch that are safe to install. Otherwise, yes, updates should be turned off at this point for anyone using 7 or 8.
I agree, but I prefer AP since it will give you some basic information about the KB being installed. I've used AP and never got the GWX update after performing a re-imaging of my system that was created back in June.

^^^ It's pretty sad when you have to do more than just looking at the KB articles since MS has started being cryptic and nondescript with most of those. "This fixes issues in Windows", and you Google the KB and find posts from forums with people stating that it enabled keylogging at the kernel level. :rolleyes:

Back