Windows 7 PC users refusing to move to Windows 10

If you standard business systems are running fine with 7 and even if your systems will run with 10 there is still no point in moving...just because you can. I'm able to do many things, but it's not necessarily a good idea I do them.

It's cost and risk that isn't justifiable. 10 does not give the standard MS Office jockey anything new. It just gives a different interface to get to the current mundane tasks. In fact it feels less business orientated with all the added junk. Windows 10 is the most junk laden OS MS have ever released that's for sure. I really would appreciate a Windows 10 Prime version that strips out all the dubious 'value add'.

I'm quite disappointed with 10 as it gives me nothing truly useful this time. In fact it gives me lots and lots of stuff I have no use for.

OS are now just a exercise in bolting on extra junk, telemetry and marketing options. Dumbed down to Smart TV level.

This doesn't mean you absolutely have to keep the office secretary on Windows 7.

What real benefits are there for Doreen to move to 10 for day to day office tasks? Looking nicer isn't really a good enough business incentive. Nor is the Xbox feature, DX12 or Cortana. Doreen thinks Cortana is a shampoo.

Remember Doreen is just a normal person who really doesn't give a toss about tech. Is it worth the cost to get someone to change it all around? Why not just sweat that Windows 7 box asset another 2-3 years? Doreen won't care. Would it be better to wait till 2019 to go to 10 as maybe the three code testers/developers left at MS might have it sorted?

Last edited:
Some here will disagree, but I think the spyware label for Windows 10 is a bridge too far at this point in all but the most broad definitions. I will wholeheartedly agree that this is a claim that needs to be backed up with a higher standard of proof. I think it's telling that Spybot calls their program Anti-Beacon (lazy argument/example as Spybot bread is buttered in Windows - also, Spybot S&D has long fallen off my go to tool for such things).

"Spying" would imply that there's something secretive going on here which just isn't the case. I'm not saying every detail in clearly know as that's not the case either. But it's pretty obvious that it has to be using TONS of personal data for certain features to work.

What real benefits are there for Doreen to move to 10 for day to day office tasks? Looking nicer isn't really a good enough business incentive. Nor is the Xbox feature, DX12 or Cortana. Doreen thinks Cortana is a shampoo.

Remember Doreen is just a normal person who really doesn't give a toss about tech. Is it worth the cost to get someone to change it all around? Why not just sweat that Windows 7 box asset another 2-3 years? Doreen won't care. Would it be better to wait till 2019 to go to 10 as maybe the three code testers/developers left at MS might have it sorted?

There's no one answer here. If Doreen has a desktop with a single monitor and is just using standard things like Office and a web browser then I agree there's not much benefit in upgrading her from 7 while it's still receiving support. But that's almost always the case with an OS upgrade. The direct end user benefits tend to minimal especially initially. Now if Doreen was in need of a new machine, maybe needed to go from a desktop to a laptop, multiple monitors and a dock then Doreen might very well see some direct benefit from 10.

Of course there are a host of other things to consider.

"Spying" would imply that there's something secretive going on here which just isn't the case. I'm not saying every detail in clearly know as that's not the case either. But it's pretty obvious that it has to be using TONS of personal data for certain features to work.
I would give Windows 10 the label of "potentially unwanted programs" though.

People have taken the tact of viewing data sent to Microsoft in the lens of network traffic analyzers. I would be interested in someone using a program like Process Monitor (maybe even Process Explorer) to analyze what's going on. In an IPO (input > process > output) model, if we can't read the output, we should still be able to look at the input and process to infer what's going on (what registry keys and files are being accessed with regards to the process that sends the information). I'm just not that good with Process Monitor, and it shows a great amount of detail that needs to be filtered.

I would give Windows 10 the label of "potentially unwanted programs" though.

People have taken the tact of viewing data sent to Microsoft in the lens of network traffic analyzers. I would be interested in someone using a program like Process Monitor (maybe even Process Explorer) to analyze what's going on. In an IPO (input > process > output) model, if we can't read the output, we should still be able to look at the input and process to infer what's going on (what registry keys and files are being accessed with regards to the process that sends the information). I'm just not that good with Process Monitor, and it shows a great amount of detail that needs to be filtered.

I agree in principle but there's been far to many thoughtless accusations made in this discussion. Not all data collection and sharing is for the purpose of monetization or handing all of your data over to the government. Virtually all connected devices by their basic design have to share certain kinds of data with 3rd parties just for basic and routine function. How would Windows Update or any other general purpose update mechanism work without detailed knowledge about the clients it's trying to update? How do anti-malware systems work without identifying and collection information about malware infections and creating a database of information?

Indeed if you want to share NO data with Microsoft they clearly tell you that you have to turn off Windows Update, Windows Defender and the Malicious Software Removal Tool and handle these things on your own. No average computer user is going to do that and they've been sharing this kind of data with Microsoft for years now. And people like to go on and on about trust. Countless millions have been trusting Microsoft with that kind of data for years. And if there've ever been any negative privacy impacts due to this, I've never heard of any.

If someone is truly worried about privacy and wants Microsoft and others to improve the situation I'm all for it. Yes there could be more transparency and better user education on the subject. An off switch to stop sharing all data with Microsoft doesn't make any sense for typical users who would wonder why they never get any updates or leave their machines vulnerable to malware which is a much greater threat to privacy and security than anything we're talking about here.

There needs to be a lot less hype and a lot more thought around what is a complex subject that gets far too emotional and conspiratorial to produce anything that's going to improve the situation.

Some people prefer not to be x.0 users. Some prefer not to be version 1.0 users. Windows 10 is definitely a x.0 product. While it is ridiculous to call Windows 10 a 1.0 product as a whole, I can point at certain parts of Windows 10 that are very much 1.0. Windows as a Service is very much 1.0. The delivery of the first major upgrade was very much 1.0. I could add to this other examples.

Some would strenuously argue against using x.0 products (NOT a knock against Microsoft, as those with this line of thinking apply it equally if not more so to Apple and Google products in Mac OS X, iOS, and Android). To that extent, even "if you CAN do it", it does not automatically follow that "then you SHOULD do it." Compared to Windows 8.1, the differences aren't as stark, you still have months yet to claim the free upgrade, and I believe the savvy user can claim the upgrade while still maintaining an operating system that has proven stable for them and is a "x.1 with Update" product.

I dislike such blanket, black and white, extreme statements.

ccman,

+1, no, +3 to what you said here.

A very interesting book is, "Crossing the Chasm." Here is a link to a graphic that illustrates the key concept that different types of users, consumers or businesses, adopt technology at different times. https://www.google.com/search?q=cro...AQILQ&biw=1920&bih=1024#imgrc=zv562G3Z5l4-oM:

I know that I will have to upgrade my home network, 2 desktops, 2 laptops, but I have until next July. Plus I'm planning on another laptop next year, which will come with W10. So I'm taking this step carefully.

I know that I will have to upgrade my home network, 2 desktops, 2 laptops, but I have until next July. Plus I'm planning on another laptop next year, which will come with W10. So I'm taking this step carefully.

Of course and that's what most not only should do but end up doing. There were plenty of hold overs on XP for years after Windows 7 came out even with the obvious security benefits that started with Vista.

With new hardware the vast majority of consumers will stick with 10 if that's what came on it. I don't think there will be too many people wanting to go back to 7 especially as more and more new hardware come with capabilities not supported in 7.

Kinda depends on the size of your company as well as whether you're going to upgrade existing systems or only change when new h/w is purchased.

If you're a company with a rotating h/w refresh and you're not prone to upgrading existing h/w, then you probably have to start no later than early 2017 (assuming a staggered 3 year upgrade cycle that).

MS [strike=]Guy[/s] employee here:

Fake or real; C for effort, F for trust.
You have no idea how enterprise works if your honest opinion is "upgrade because instant automatic non-selectable updates is what enterprise needs". :rolleyes:

Even if MS had a spotless, 0% record on faulty updates causing issues...that's still a hard sell. Fact is, they've had more than a few fucked updates; recently, the one that killed Outlook 2010 & 2013 which took 24 hours to post, pull, update and republish; meanwhile, users have no email access. Trust is nonexistant. But sure, let's play with a loaded gun in an enterprise world with your updates. :rolleyes:

This has to be a troll. :eek:

Not a troll, a shill. Actually, technically a shill troll. :p

Fake or real; C for effort, F for trust.
You have no idea how enterprise works if your honest opinion is "upgrade because instant automatic non-selectable updates is what enterprise needs". :rolleyes:

Even if MS had a spotless, 0% record on faulty updates causing issues...that's still a hard sell. Fact is, they've had more than a few fucked updates; recently, the one that killed Outlook 2010 & 2013 which took 24 hours to post, pull, update and republish; meanwhile, users have no email access. Trust is nonexistant. But sure, let's play with a loaded gun in an enterprise world with your updates. :rolleyes:
Not saying that enterprises should all apply updates right away, but I'm not sure why you wouldn't use System Restore and put windows in the state it was in immediately prior to the windows Update run.

To be fair, any larger enterprise is going to have WSUS in place anyway, which makes the update process manageable. That being said, 2 reasons:
1) 10 has System Restore disabled by default OOTB so unless you know that ahead of time, it's not an option.
2) After booting, it'll check for updates, find it again, and try to install it again. The lone workaround at that point is to use the update remover/hider to try to curb that from happening, since they saw no reason to leave that built-in functionality in place since...forever.

I agree with you, I'm just saying - more stupid MS decisions make doing that harder than it used to be. Part for the course with MS today. :eek:

All the "you need to upgrade to 10" and forced upgrading MS is trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes makes me more and more reluctant to do so. Nothing about 10 passes the sniff test.

To be fair, any larger enterprise is going to have WSUS in place anyway, which makes the update process manageable. That being said, 2 reasons:
1) 10 has System Restore disabled by default OOTB so unless you know that ahead of time, it's not an option.
2) After booting, it'll check for updates, find it again, and try to install it again. The lone workaround at that point is to use the update remover/hider to try to curb that from happening, since they saw no reason to leave that built-in functionality in place since...forever.

I agree with you, I'm just saying - more stupid MS decisions make doing that harder than it used to be. Part for the course with MS today. :eek:

All the "you need to upgrade to 10" and forced upgrading MS is trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes makes me more and more reluctant to do so. Nothing about 10 passes the sniff test.

I get what you're saying, but I think that's more of an issue for home users. Pro can be set up so it doesn't update immediately. And honestly, if the company doesn't know how to do that, then they'd be in the same boat with 7, because, as I recall, it defaults to auto install patches (and truthfully, if you don't have an Windows dept handling the patching, then you probably want them installed right away, because non tech workers are notorious for not patching...ever.

I don't get why they're disabling System Restore by default. I consider it a nice line of defense for all kinds of problems. It's rarely used, but I'm always glad that it's there when I need it.

Anyway, given that businesses are going to start migrating in the next year (see an article Steve linked to a few weeks ago), I'm sure that MS will get feedback and fix issues that are show stoppers for enterprise users.

Not saying that enterprises should all apply updates right away, but I'm not sure why you wouldn't use System Restore and put windows in the state it was in immediately prior to the windows Update run.

... Then Windows will proceed to re-update automatically while the update has yet to be pulled.

I have Win10 Pro at home for tinkering, but can't recommending switching just yet.

I will not switch to 10 because i am against the new forced windows update and the always on spying "features". Unless microsoft makes a complete 180 i will be sticking with windows 7 until 2020 and beyond. I have already started learning linux and if no change in policy happens until win7 and of support i will be switching fully to linux and dual booting and/or vming windows 7 for the apps that i can't get to work on linux.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/dont-let-the-grinches-put-you-off-windows-10/

When a guy like Adrian Kingsley-Hughes says that the privacy issues in Windows 10 are overblown, who's not exactly a Microsoft fanboy, they probably are. People are freaking out over basic services. In order for Windows Update, Windows Defender and the Malicious Software Removal Tool to work they HAVE to share data. If the average users could easily turn off ALL data sharing with Microsoft, these critical parts can't work. Indeed these tools have been sharing data with Microsoft for how long now?

I'm not saying that everything regarding privacy is perfect in 10 but much of the stuff people are complaining about when given scrutiny simply doesn't make any sense and the basic diagnostic info has long been collected by prior Windows versions.

i did notice that as well why is system restore disabled on install (OEM systems seem to have it enabled as i was able to system restore a stupid problem with a Microsoft account that refuses to accept the correct password, lucky enough i was able to just role it back before he converted is local account into a microsoft one)

seems there is a problem with windows 10 (not seen it with 8) where very small number of people are getting the problem where it refuses to accept the correct password and the funny thing is if you go offline if you enter an incorrect password or one of your Old passwords it says "your offline" but if you enter the correct password it actually says that "the password is incorrect" its like the login service is getting the incorrect response and is treating a correct password as a incorrect one (and its not the Stupid Keyboard language settings that people respond with)

... Then Windows will proceed to re-update automatically while the update has yet to be pulled.

I have Win10 Pro at home for tinkering, but can't recommending switching just yet.

10 Pro can defer upgrades or just get a notification to restart, so that doesn't really apply to small businesses and larger companies are likely using Enterprise, which generally has more options.

When a guy like Adrian Kingsley-Hughes says that the privacy issues in Windows 10 are overblown, who's not exactly a Microsoft fanboy, they probably are. People are freaking out over basic services. In order for Windows Update, Windows Defender and the Malicious Software Removal Tool to work they HAVE to share data. If the average users could easily turn off ALL data sharing with Microsoft, these critical parts can't work. Indeed these tools have been sharing data with Microsoft for how long now?

I'm not saying that everything regarding privacy is perfect in 10 but much of the stuff people are complaining about when given scrutiny simply doesn't make any sense and the basic diagnostic info has long been collected by prior Windows versions.

If it were true that all that telemetry is being collected in the service of improvements to Windows, then why is telemetry turned off for companies with the LTSB version of 'Windows? Why isn't there an option for the telemetry data to be collected by the companies, so they can filter it and forward it on to MS?

I'm going with the view that Microsoft is emulating the Google/Facebook/LinkedIn business model. We aren't the users. We are the PRODUCT. The users are the advertisers.

x509

First part - that article is crappily written and a terrible read.

Next, most of the fuss isn't about Windows Update, Defender, and MSRT. People understand the setup that when you click the 'Check for Updates' button or setup the scheduled check in for windows updates, that it will contact Microsoft servers.

However, even relatively simple actions like that should have user privacy & control in mind. Windows Update should retrieve a manifest of available updates and then determine what it does not have installed. You could spin it around to where Windows sends a list of what it has installed to Microsoft and the server returns back what updates/programs to install. One has more potential for unnecessary information gathering.
A/V and crash reports should prompt the user and show them what is going to be sent should they want to participate. Not up and attach a file because it's been approved by the Privacy Board.

Again, lack of transparency leaves users to come up with their own narratives. Who is on this privacy board? I fully expect it to be primarily MS employed lawyers, and not user privacy advocates. The goal being to keep the company from being sued. I mean, who is really going to stand up for what's right, potentially blocking a product? "Sorry guys, I don't think we can allow Skype for Barbie to move forward due to <legit privacy but not legal issues here>." You'll get voted off the island and your well paying salary with it within a week. All complete conjecture, of course, but it's hard to believe a corporate board would have the millions of users best interests at the forefront of their decision making vs who puts food on their table. Self policing rarely works.

The friction is coming from On by default, not asking the user, heavily attempting to lock the user into the Microsoft environment with a Live account, advertising in the OS, and things of that nature. You can nitpick through (as [H]forum has already done in several threads) the points, but overall the issue is breaking the illusion that it was your personal computer in the first place.

As you've said in other places, nothing has drastically changed since it's ever been, but now they're just asking less, and the handcuffs are starting to chafe users a bit.

Last edited:
First part - that article is crappily written and a terrible read.

Next, most of the fuss isn't about Windows Update, Defender, and MSRT. People understand the setup that when you click the 'Check for Updates' button or setup the scheduled check in for windows updates, that it will contact Microsoft servers.

However, even relatively simple actions like that should have user privacy & control in mind. Windows Update should retrieve a manifest of available updates and then determine what it does not have installed. You could spin it around to where Windows sends a list of what it has installed to Microsoft and the server returns back what updates/programs to install. One has more potential for unnecessary information gathering.
A/V and crash reports should prompt the user and show them what is going to be sent should they want to participate. Not up and attach a file because it's been approved by the Privacy Board.

Again, lack of transparency leaves users to come up with their own narratives. Who is on this privacy board? I fully expect it to be primarily MS employed lawyers, and not user privacy advocates. The goal being to keep the company from being sued. I mean, who is really going to stand up for what's right, potentially blocking a product? "Sorry guys, I don't think we can allow Skype for Barbie to move forward due to <legit privacy but not legal issues here>." You'll get voted off the island and your well paying salary with it within a week. All complete conjecture, of course, but it's hard to believe a corporate board would have the millions of users best interests at the forefront of their decision making vs who puts food on their table. Self policing rarely works.

The friction is coming from On by default, not asking the user, heavily attempting to lock the user into the Microsoft environment with a Live account, advertising in the OS, and things of that nature. You can nitpick through (as [H]forum has already done in several threads) the points, but overall the issue is breaking the illusion that it was your personal computer in the first place.

As you've said in other places, nothing has drastically changed since it's ever been, but now they're just asking less, and the handcuffs are starting to chafe users a bit.

I could go either way with on by default. It seems like most of the data collected (even if you leave it all on) is for services (cortana, which I don't use) or telemetry/trouble shooting issues on your computer, when problems arise. On this board, we can argue about if this stuff should be on, but for the vast majority of users, they're probably best off if virtually all of it is on.

As for the live account, I disagree. I installed 10 on top of a fresh install of 7 (no patches applied to that one) and I don't even recall being asked to create a Live account. OTOH, when you install 8.1 you pretty much have to do that, but cna turn it off later (and I know this, because my VM on 10 is running 8.1).

If you don't like the live account, don't use it, but if I end up running a bunch of windows devices, I may switch to the live account (at least temporarily) so that the machines are synced. I honestly don't think there's a huge downside to setting up a live account and then switching to local. You have to do it if you want any modern apps, and you may not, but i LOVE the Netflix app and you're not getting it unless you have a live account (though it doesn't require that you log into windows using the live account).

As for the live account, I disagree. I installed 10 on top of a fresh install of 7 (no patches applied to that one) and I don't even recall being asked to create a Live account. OTOH, when you install 8.1 you pretty much have to do that, but cna turn it off later (and I know this, because my VM on 10 is running 8.1).

You can do local account only in 8 and 8.1 at first boot/OOBE, same as 10. Live accts are not a requirement in those either.

I read that article yesterday and the author came off as a moron to me. He basically said people who don't want to update when MS tells you to are the same types that never update whatsoever. Ludicrous statement. Some people have been burned by MS updates in the past breaking something, so they update a week or two later after the dust clears.

I no longer unabashedly trust MS with updating, after all the sneaking they've done trying to trick people into installing telemetry in 7 & 8 by wording the updates in confusing manners and unhiding updates that users have previously hidden. Again - doesn't pass the sniff test.

You can do local account only in 8 and 8.1 at first boot/OOBE, same as 10. Live accts are not a requirement in those either.

Maybe so, but under 8/8.1 it wasn't obvious. For 10, a local account was the default (which contradicts what some have said here). All I'm saying is that this is not a valid complaint against 10, IME.

You can create a local account during the initial install because you don't have to be online to install Windows 10.

Some people have been burned by MS updates in the past breaking something, so they update a week or two later after the dust clears.

He acknowledged this. But he rightly pointed out how many more times he'd seen people get burned by not updating. There is no completely right process for change management. The average computer user should NEVER have to make these kinds of decisions because they simply are qualified to do so. But yes, there needs to be some more flexibility here. But the average non-enterprise user just doesn't need to be dealing with this.

I no longer unabashedly trust MS with updating, after all the sneaking they've done trying to trick people into installing telemetry in 7 & 8 by wording the updates in confusing manners and unhiding updates that users have previously hidden. Again - doesn't pass the sniff test.

And this is why this debate isn't particularly useful at times. The sniff test. Ultimately that means that no matter what the other party is never going to win. The underlying debate here isn't even a matter of trusting Microsoft. It's why Microsoft would be doing something nefarious because what's in it for them if every conspiracy theory on this is correct? What's in it for them that would be worth destroying their company?

Moved to 10 back to 7 took 3 days of scrubbing to get the stank of that OS off me.

I'm very happy with Win10 after receiving many free copies of it.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/15/1...e-pushing-windows-10-to-machines-with-win7-81
http://www.computerworld.com/articl...e-windows-10-upgrade-strategy.html#tk.rss_all

Users who do not want Windows 10 are strongly advised to turn off automatic updating to avoid accidentally installing the OS.

And I think I'm going to finally do just that since MS is intent on constantly and sneakily enabling the 'AllowOSUpgrade' GP option despite users disabling it because they don't want to upgrade. :eek:

Last edited:
You cannot accidentally install the OS. However, do what you want with your computer and good luck.

You cannot accidentally install the OS. However, do what you want with your computer and good luck.

I'm not sure how it is now, but it was possible in the past. It kept coming up as an update and the default was to install W10. One time I accidentally clicked install instead of install other updates (or whatever it said). I eventually got it to stop the install (but it wasn't easy). It's not that I didn't want 10, i just didn't want it until I built a new machine. I don't think it does that on my parents machine, so my guess is that I said schedule an upgrade and that's what did me in. To me, this is a mistake on MS's part.

At this point I have no trust in MS; they've obliterated those bridges to pieces.
Maybe right now, you have to actually allow the install; at what point does the option go away? They're already changing their tune on the updates, going from Optional to Recommended to Mandatory (for all intents and purposes). Their story and excuses change every time.

Again, no faith in them for me. I would not be surprised to see news articles within 9 months stating that people went to bed after locking their 7 machine and woke up to a 10 OOBE screen. Legality be damned, would not surprise me in the least. Because of this, I'm turning off updates rather than letting my machines check for them anymore. I can deal with a 10 OOBE screen in the morning - but I don't want to. I own no tinfoil hats but MS has fooled me (and many others) too many times at this point. Once again, they are ignoring options and settings that people have set on their machines, and reverting them back to their [MS's] favor on a whim in an attempt to gain another upgrader.

At this point I have no trust in MS; they've obliterated those bridges to pieces.

The fact that I have to run this script every time Windows updates despite disabling/hiding unwanted updates tells me everything.

wusa /uninstall /kb:3075249 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:3080149 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:3068708 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:2976978 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:3021917 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:2952664 /quiet /norestart
wusa /uninstall /kb:3035583 /quiet /norestart

(This removes all of the Windows 10 upgrade and backported Windows 7 telemetry crap.)

^^^ Exactly.
I'm keeping a table updated with all the KB's to avoid and though I started it with the idea of keeping a more organized solution (since the information was spread out across posts and other forums), having to update it several times recently since MS has released more updates to avoid, it's just ridiculous.

Code:
KB#	KB Description	KB Link	Other info
KB971033	Description of the update for Windows Activation Technologies	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971033	
KB2505438	Slow performance in applications that use the DirectWrite API on a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2505438	Although it claims to fix performance issues, it often breaks fonts
KB2670838	Platform update for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2670838	The EVIL Update, breaks AERO on Windows 7 and makes some fonts on websites fuzzy, Windows 7 specific update only, do not install IE10 or 11 otherwise it will be bundled with them, IE9 is the max version you should install
KB2882822	Update adds ITraceRelogger interface support to Windows Embedded Standard 7 SP1, Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2882822	Very fishy update that just popped up with not enough detail about it
KB2902907	Microsoft Security Essentials is offered as an optional update	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2267621	
KB2952664	Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2952664	"Get Windows 10" Assistant
KB2976978	Compatibility update for Windows 8.1 and Windows 8	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2976978	Windows 10 Upgrade preparation for Windows 8
KB2977759	Compatibility update for Windows 7 RTM	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2977759	Windows 10 Upgrade preparation for Windows 7
KB2990214	Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 7 to a later version of Windows	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2990214	Windows 10 Upgrade preparation for Windows 7
KB2999226	Update for Universal C Runtime in Windows	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2999226	"The Windows 10 Universal CRT..."
KB3012973	Upgrade to Windows 10	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3012973	Force Trigger Download and Install of Windows 10
KB3015249	Update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3015249	
KB3021917	Update to Windows 7 SP1 for performance improvements	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3021917	Windows 10 Upgrade preparation + Telemetry
KB3022345	Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3022345	
KB3035583	Update installs Get Windows 10 app in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583	
KB3042058	Microsoft security advisory: Update to default cipher suite priority order: May 12, 2015	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3042058	Microsoft claims its a security update but it contains Winlogon Spying
KB3044374	Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3044374	
KB3050265	Windows Update Client for Windows 7: June 2015	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3050265	Windows 10 upgrade preparation but also adds the option in GPEDIT to disable Windows 10 upgrade altogether so you may want to actually install this
KB3050267	Windows Update Client for Windows 8.1: June 2015	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3050267	Windows 10 upgrade preparation but also adds the option in GPEDIT to disable Windows 10 upgrade altogether so you may want to actually install this
KB3064683	Windows 8.1 OOBE modifications to reserve Windows 10	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3064683	Windows 10 Upgrade for Windows 8
KB3065987	Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: July 2015	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3065987	Windows 10 Upgrade for Windows 7
KB3065988	Windows Update Client for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2: July 2015	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3065988	Windows 10 Upgrade for Windows 8
KB3068708	Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3068708	
KB3072318	Update for Windows 8.1 OOBE to upgrade to Windows 10	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3072318	
KB3074677	Compatibility update for upgrading to Windows 10	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3074677	
KB3075249	Update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3075249	
KB3075851	Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: August 2015	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3075851	Windows 10 Upgrade for Windows 7
KB3075853	Windows Update Client for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2: August 2015	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3075853	Windows 10 Upgrade for Windows 8
KB3078667	System malfunction because memory leak occurs in dwm.exe in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3078667	Claims to fix memory leaks in dwm.exe but also is a Windows 10 upgrade preparation according to this article
KB3080149	Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080149	
KB3081437	August 18, 2015, compatibility update for upgrading to Windows 10	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3081437	
KB3081454	September 8, 2015, compatibility update for upgrading to Windows 10	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3081454	
KB3081954	Update for Work Folders improvements in Windows 7 SP1	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3081954	Telemetry Update for Windows 7
KB3083324	Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: September 2015	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083324	Windows 10 Upgrade preparation for Windows 7
KB3083325	Windows Update Client for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2: September 2015	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083325	Windows 10 Upgrade preparation for Windows 8
KB3083710	Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: October 2015	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083710	Update for the Windows Update client with sketchy details for Windows 7, see this thread
KB3083711	Windows Update Client for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2: October 2015	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083711	Update for the Windows Update client with sketchy details for Windows 8, see this thread
KB3086255	MS15-097: Description of the security update for the graphics component in Windows: September 8, 2015	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3086255	Flagged as an Important update. It disables SafeDisc games in Windows Vista, 7, and 8/8.1
KB3088195	MS15-111: Description of the security update for Windows Kernel: October 13, 2015	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3088195	Microsoft claims it's a security update but also has a key logger on the Kernel Level
KB3090045	Windows Update for reserved devices in Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 SP1	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3090045	Windows 10 Upgrade Update for Windows 7/8
KB3093983	MS15-106: Security update for Internet Explorer: October 13, 2015	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3093983	Microsoft claims it's a security update but it contains IE spying
KB3102810	Installing and searching for updates is slow and high CPU usage occurs in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810	Fixes an issue regarding long wait while searching for Windows Updates but also has Windows 10 Upgrade preparation for Windows 7
KB3102812	Installing and searching for updates is slow and high CPU usage occurs in Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102812	Fixes an issue regarding long wait while searching for Windows Updates but also has Windows 10 Upgrade preparation for Windows 8
KB3107998	Remove Lenovo USB Blocker version 1.0.0.37 to avoid a system crash	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3107998	
KB3112336	Windows Update Client for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2: December 2015	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3112336	Windows 10 Upgrade preparation for Windows 8
KB3112343	Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: December 2015	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3112343	Windows 10 Upgrade preparation for Windows 7
/botched lack of table formatting here but you get the gist

The idea that we have to rely on running CMD/PS scripts and/or apps to remove this shit on a weekly (if not daily) basis is absurd. I paid for your OS, you promised to support your OS to 2020, but now you're throwing in garbage that I don't want and you're playing around with my GP settings and updates I've decided not to install, for the sake of offering me something I don't want. Where does it end? The heavy handed tactics are not appreciated. :mad:

Last edited:
The idea that we have to rely on running CMD/PS scripts and/or apps to remove this shit on a weekly (if not daily) basis is absurd. I paid for your OS, you promised to support your OS to 2020, but now you're throwing in garbage that I don't want and you're playing around with my GP settings and updates I've decided not to install, for the sake of offering me something I don't want. Where does it end? The heavy handed tactics are not appreciated. :mad:

Unfortunately, and as it's been pointed out many times previously (by myself and a few others), Windows doesn't belong to the end user - it's just licensed by us/them - so Microsoft can and will do whatever they want with it much to the chagrin of said end users like it or not.

There's a really simple solution to Windows 10: don't use it.

If you still use Windows 7 (as I and many others do and will for years to come, depending), 8, or 8.1 then some end user maintenance aka removing updates with a script or at the bare minimum keeping an eye on any future ones is probably going to be the only thing we can do to minimize the impact of all the telemetry bullshit and still be moderately 'happy' with using these OSes.

Not using Windows 10 at all for any reason will provide more useful info to Microsoft than the telemetry ever could. ;)

Tried 10 and hated it almost as much as I hate 8. So much bloat ware and Windows login crap. Windows 7 had it right

I went to windows 10, and then over this last weekend I went back to Win 7. I simply like it better..

I am sticking with Win 7 because I need Media Center. If they had Media Center in Win 10 I would upgrade no questions asked. Really too bad that MS stopped supporting it, because it was/is the best at what it does.

I am sticking with Win 7 because I need Media Center. If they had Media Center in Win 10 I would upgrade no questions asked. Really too bad that MS stopped supporting it, because it was/is the best at what it does.

There are other option to that but if your a CableCard user who need copy protected channels support then your SOL you have stcik to Windows 7 as that is your only option in Rec HBO channel and other like it even HDHomeRun DVR Software has no support far I know of.
An they wonder why more and more people are get sick tried of BS and cutting the cord and just going to Hulu, Netflix, Aamazon Prime + OTA or what ever the case my be.
How every 95% of the BS is cuases by the Media Network them self and the MPAA and RIAA.

If you still use Windows 7 (as I and many others do and will for years to come, depending), 8, or 8.1 then some end user maintenance aka removing updates with a script or at the bare minimum keeping an eye on any future ones is probably going to be the only thing we can do to minimize the impact of all the telemetry bullshit and still be moderately 'happy' with using these OSes.. ;)
Fuck that.

I blocked all of Microsoft's IP ranges with a hardware firewall. It doesn't matter what the os tries to do, it can never phone home.

I "lose" access to bing, but bing sucks anyways.

Fuck that.

I blocked all of Microsoft's IP ranges with a hardware firewall. It doesn't matter what the os tries to do, it can never phone home.

I "lose" access to bing, but bing sucks anyways.

How do you do updates then?

And do you mind sharing how you did this?

Back