windows 7 os problem? games shut down laptop

Hey, haven't posted in a while, but having issue,

Just reinstalled win7x64 ultimate on my laptop (sager8690, Q840, ATI HD 5870).

I've put a couple games on so far, each having same result, as soon as the game loads, my laptop shuts down, this is on Dirt2, and also crysis 2, so far....

thanks for any suggestions,

rlr

edit: win7ultimate, x64 is lite version, created by me with RT7Lite, if any details you want, please ask.

Most likely an overheating issue. I've seen it before where merely loading a game can get the CPU & GPU to spike considerably.

I recommend a laptop cooler to pull more air through the chassis. I'm possibly misdiagnosing it though...

Edit: Having a Lite version of 7 isn't a good idea. Most people will tell you this from [H].

Most likely an overheating issue. I've seen it before where merely loading a game can get the CPU & GPU to spike considerably.

I recommend a laptop cooler to pull more air through the chassis. I'm possibly misdiagnosing it though...

Edit: Having a Lite version of 7 isn't a good idea. Most people will tell you this from [H].

Really? No kidding, I should make a poll, perhaps, I'm very interested in this subject as it has been a regular practice of mine, starting with first vista release. Windows 7 though, particularly the app I'm using to do this with (RT7Lite), has proved more difficult than previous, and largely successful attempts, especially after SP1. Thought I had all the kinks worked out; after many, many versions. everything else (seems to be) working good. I used to use a handy batch script I found on MSFN forums (Liquid) to accomplish this, worked much better, it used DCIM to uninstall components, much better success with that (although you have to omit some things from script or it tanks as well, imho).

I will attempt a directX reinstall, or install if I am missing anything though first. I do, however do not think heat related, although it is possible still, this will happen shortly after firing up machine, like long enough to load a game, I'll see the pre-rendered movie or whatever, and adjust settings even, but as soon as game begins, immediate shutdown.

Thanks for any other responses,
rlr

I dunno if machine is overheating if the machine shuts down immediately upon game start so I would check the memory dump file or set windos not to automatically restart on BSOD errors so you CAN find out what it is.

I dunno if machine is overheating if the machine shuts down immediately upon game start so I would check the memory dump file or set windos not to automatically restart on BSOD errors so you CAN find out what it is.

Hey. Thanks for your response. I don't think is overheat issue, as it will do from right after being started, to hours later, whenever I try to play a game (crysis 2, Dirt 2, so far) it shuts down precisely when action starts, menus, and pre-rendered stuff works fine.

My laptop is set to not auto restart after BSOD, but that's not what its doing anyway, it just shuts down, powers off, instantly, like pulling a plug.

I've updated dx9, direct x as much as i believe i can. Have windows completely updated. Have reinstalled windows completely with a almost 100% stock version of windows also, it only has tweaks added (which i realize could possibly be causing problem), and hardly anything removed, windows tour, something else minor maybe, most language packs, and anyway, my previous versions of windows, which were much more tampered with, all played all my games.

I also installed Open AL, I wasn't sure if I needed or not, I think yes.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
rlr

Back