Windows 7 oem and retail

jcg624

Limp Gawd
Whats the difference between this Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM and the retail version. Does one really need ultimate or professional. I will use it for some gaming and school work.

OEM For System Builders is just what it says. You have to also purchase qualifying hardware such as a hard drive or motherboard along with the OS. Technically you are only allowed to install it on one machine period. Get a new machine change up the hardware and you're supposed to buy a new copy.

Retail is just that. You pay full retail price, do not have to purchase any hardware with it and you can install and uninstall it on one machine as often as you wish. If you're going to be joining your schools network remotely then get Pro. If not Home Premium is fine. The only reason for Pro or Ultimate is if you want the extra "business" features included as if you want or need to join the PC to a Domain or want to run Virtual XP.

Its for my home machine. not gonna connect to a domain or the schools network over a vpn.

Yea Kangg is right on. Your best bet is to stick with Home Premium if you don't need all the bells and whistles of what Pro/Ultimate have to offer. Home Premium will be sufficient for all your gaming and homework needs.

I'm running Home Premium x64, a couple of things it doesn't have that make me wish I had bought Pro are, the Group Policy Editor, and Remote Desktop. You can remote Desktop into another PC but a Home Premium won't accept one. Aside from what has been mentioned above the retail version comes with a manual and both the 32 and 64 bit DVDs. My OEM version only came with the one x64 DVD and a little instruction book.

I'm running Home Premium x64, a couple of things it doesn't have that make me wish I had bought Pro are, the Group Policy Editor, and Remote Desktop. You can remote Desktop into another PC but a Home Premium won't accept one. Aside from what has been mentioned above the retail version comes with a manual and both the 32 and 64 bit DVDs. My OEM version only came with the one x64 DVD and a little instruction book.

QFT! :D

"You can connect to computers running Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, or Windows 7 Enterprise. You can't use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to computers running Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Basic, or Windows 7 Home Premium."

Source: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Remote-Desktop-Connection-frequently-asked-questions

How do the Windows 7 [Upgrade] OEM discs work? I'd like to get one for my friend, but it would have to be a clean install. Would this be possible with a "ugprade" OEM disc?

If you are looking to connect the computer account to a windows domain, and not just VPN into a domain, ensure that you purchase a version of Windows that allows that. The "Home" versions are not designed to be integrated into a Windows Domain. You will need to purchase the professional, business, or ultimate editions to connect it to a Windows domain.

Back