Windows 7 install and product key question

1Wolf

Limp Gawd
Just a question regarding at what point during the install that you are asked to enter the Product Key.

I've just ordered a new copy of windows 7 x-64 professional online.

At home, I currently already have a valid copy of Windows 7 x64 professional for another machine.

Do I need to wait to receive the copy of Windows 7 that I just ordered so that I have the Product Key? Or can I go ahead and get started and just use the DVD that I already have sitting here from another machine, and then enter the new Product Key when it arrives?

I hope that makes sense. I apologize for any confusion.

Thanks!

You can bypass the product key for a while, then put it in when your new key arrives.

You are asked for it at the end of the install but there is a skip button and you can complete the install without entering a product key.

You then have 30 days to enter a product key and activate (the options for doing so are in system properties, you will also get periodic reminders).

After the 30 day grace period expires you will get a black desktop background and far more agressive prompts to activate.

don't forget you can reset the activation 3x (I think), for a total of 120 days

I don't recall if windows 7 has this limitation, but are both of your copies the same type of license, retail or Oem?
I wouldn't want you to install windows using your Oem media and setting up everything and then the retail key not activating the Oem style install, then having to reinstall using the retail media.

Thanks everyone for the answers :D

That means I don't need to wait for the DVD's to arrive on my doorstep to get started. Thanks!

I don't recall if windows 7 has this limitation, but are both of your copies the same type of license, retail or Oem?
I wouldn't want you to install windows using your Oem media and setting up everything and then the retail key not activating the Oem style install, then having to reinstall using the retail media.

Yup...the ones I have here are OEM installs and the one I ordered that is on its way is also OEM.

Back