Windows 7 from a reseller

Fastvan67

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey Guys,
I have been in contact with a reseller that says he has Windows 7 Ultimate full install dvd for sale. He said it is not Retail or OEM. Claims is called Non Branded. He says its just like retail, just not in a retail box. The package that it comes with has various names like Dell, HP, Sony, etc.. Also says Upgrade on the disk but says it will do a clean install.
Does something like this really exist or is he full of sh*t and trying to scam?

Thanks

As far as I know Windows 7 has 4 license types

Retail, OEM, VLK KMS, & VLK MAK

OP: It's a scam. Duh.

Fastvan: VLK is Volume-Licensed. KMS and MAK are just ways of being volume-licensed.

Ok.. Never heard of those terms before. Unless this guy can show proof that he is indeed authorized to sell these, I will stay clear.
Thanks guys

Hey Guys,
I asked the guy to provide me with a COA so I could call Microsoft and ask them to tell me about it.
Well.. Turns out what the guy was describing is actually correct. They said it is called "OEM NONSLP". I looked that up and this is what I came up with.
"

1. OEM:SLP (System Locked Pre-installation): OEM SLP keys are preinstalled by the OEM on the machine. End-users normally does not get to see the product key, unless when using product key viewers to retrieve the key manually. Data embedded in the BIOS (in SLIC table), together with the digitally signed certificate (OEM cert), is used to validate the product key. SLP keys will work with any OEM SLP system, regardless of the OEM system’s brand, i.e. not brand specific. OEM SLP product keys are the only keys that are able to perform offline activation instantly and locally, without going online or connecting to Microsoft server. OEM SLP keys are only issued to big manufacturers such as Dell, Asus, Sony, etc.
  2. OEM:NONSLP (Non System Locked Pre-installation): Similar to retail product key, but distributed and supported by an OEM. Non-SLP product key is also not brand specific. End-users are required to perform activation by phone or activate online.
  3. OEM:COA (Certificate of Authentication): The OEM:COA is normally provided via a COA sticker pasted on the casing (side or bottom body) of new desktop, notebook, laptop, netbook or nettop PC, which has already been activated with a pre-installed OEM:SLP key by OEM."
I then called Microsoft back and discussed it with them again. They said these particular products were supplied by MSI to various companies like Dell, Sony, HP, etc.. as Upgrades and can be installed directly on systems as clean install. Does not require the use of the "Upgrade" feature.
So anyway, that being said, I'm going to buy one and register it. Supposed to also come with a COA sticker for the side of the computer. So we shall see.

If it happens to work out, please let me know how to contact the reseller. I need to get around 3 to 4 of those type of Win 7 Ultimate OEM licenses. :)

I then called Microsoft back and discussed it with them again. They said these particular products were supplied by MSI to various companies like Dell, Sony, HP, etc.. as Upgrades and can be installed directly on systems as clean install. Does not require the use of the "Upgrade" feature.
So anyway, that being said, I'm going to buy one and register it. Supposed to also come with a COA sticker for the side of the computer. So we shall see.

So your going to basicly take an MSI file the MS sends to OEM's (Dell, HP, Sony, IBM) and think its ok to install on your own system?

Something tells me MS would not like this very much but best of luck

MS really doesn't care about a lot of things. Just look at their official forums on what they actually allow. It's quite funny how their admins will tell you all the things you can do, while they have written rules against it at the same time.

The guy is selling them at $120ea for 64bit.
One of the things MS said when we were discussing it is that when I buy it and install it, once I I register it, they said if there is a problem with the COA, give them the guys information as in phone, address, etc and they will ship me a new retail version of the disk with a new COA.

Yeh, giving them the guys info...isnt that the 'turn in counterfitter' program?

Well, if the guy is actually doing business "Legit", there will be no problem. If he's wrong, I'm still going to get a Win 7 disk and COA direct from MS and he may get fined for his wrong doing or whatever MS does about things like that these days.
I even told the guy I was contacting MS about his disks. He had no problem with it and game me his mailing address and phone number too. So I doubt there will be anything wrong.

It sounds like his only fault (as of now) was a poor description of the product. Non-branded means it is the same OEM licenses that places like Newegg sell. They aren't given to other companies, like HP or Dell, because they would be branded OEM discs and licenses. I believe these are also known as System Builder licenses, meaning the OEM is you, the builder of the computer system, and it is you who provides support for this system, not Microsoft, Dell, HP, etc.

Well, got a tracking number. Its in this state now. Should be here by tomorrow I would expect.

Ok. Windows 7 has arrived. Installed and it says OEM. I contacted Microsoft again. Now registered it and all is well. Microsoft said it is a System builder disk. To be supplied with a new computer. Since I installed it on my computer, I am my own OEM support, lol
Anyway, all is well.

Back