windows 7 desktop window manager stopped working

the gamer

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi guy, just did a fresh install yesturday and soon has a log in to windows 7, the desktop window manager is not working, and there for no Aero, just wondering how do I fix this?

have video card drivers installed etc etc (newest nvidia drivers)

Thanks.

well with Vista you just need to update your score and it'll automatically re-enable Aero.

Right-click Computer and select Properties and you should see "Rating:" and next to it says Windows Experience Index. Click it and then Update My Score to run a quick system test that will re-enable Aero when finished.

Windows 7 might be the same way. I can't remember. I'm at work on my Vista laptop.

Well, it sounds like there is something wrong with your installation one way or another. To try and get Aero working do the following:

Windows Key-R
type "DWM" and hit Enter

tried that don't work either, thinking about doing a repair, would that wreck all my installed games/programs and such, cant remember.

Cheers.

tried that don't work either, thinking about doing a repair, would that wreck all my installed games/programs and such, cant remember.

Cheers.

If something as basic and fundamental as the window manager is messed up, I'd hate to think what else could be messed up. Personally, I wouldn't bother with any type of repair but do a clean install.

What you could do prior to this is uninstall the current video driver and make sure it's completely uninstalled. After this you could reinstall the video driver or allow Windows to install the stock driver to see if it fixes the problem. I would allow the stock Windows driver to become reinstalled first as a troubleshooting measure. There is no reason for the stock driver not to work. If it doesn't work, that's a very good indication something could be fundamentally wrong with the install.

Back