Windows 7 DEFINTELY RTM Today! On MSDN August 6th!

I understand where you're coming from Catweazle but it's the way it is. I mean they already have different disc production runs with Vista for the disc labels alone. Granted the same image is on all of those discs which does simplify production a bit. But due to the change in how Windows 7 installs, this was a needed "step back". If you have TechNet though, you'll find out it's like this on the 6th. Or if you don't maybe you will believe it when those that do verify what we are saying is correct.

Last edited:
To be honest, I understand where you all are coming from as well, but for me, understanding how hash's/check-sums work, I am 100% certain that what I have is official. I can understand if you don't know how that technology works you would be weary.

To be honest, I understand where you all are coming from as well, but for me, understanding how hash's/check-sums work, I am 100% certain that what I have is official. I can understand if you don't know how that technology works you would be weary.

No i think they just think we have some pre-RTM build or something. I dunno how anyone can deny hash's either, but hey they'll find out for themselves soon enough :)

Well I posted before seeing the Technet post that was referenced on the previous page. That definitely helps. Previously, I'd only seen the hashes on 3rd party websites.

I went ahead and installed the July 13th build 7600 and it great.

No i think they just think we have some pre-RTM build or something. I dunno how anyone can deny hash's either, but hey they'll find out for themselves soon enough :)

It has nothing to do with hashes for me and I don't deny that you guys have the RTM version. That said without hashes are meaningless unless you can TOTALLY trust the hash OR the source of the hash. Plus there is the issue of legality as well. Not worth 12 days to me.

The hash's came from a Techet blog so there is no doubt they could be trusted. I wouldn't trust a hash from anywhere else but a Microsoft branded source. And if Microsoft sends a swat team after me, hey part of the game :D

The hash's came from a Techet blog so there is no doubt they could be trusted. I wouldn't trust a hash from anywhere else but a Microsoft branded source. And if Microsoft sends a swat team after me, hey part of the game :D

Fair enough about the hash. Like I said its not so much that the RTM floating around is genuine its simply of matter of doing things more by the book when installing a PERMANENT OS. For testing purposes I downloaded pretty much all of the leaks but when going into production I simply refuse to use a torrent. The threshold of trust should be MUCH higher when going into a production mode. That's from an old IT guy that's been burned too many times when cutting corners.

I hear ya man, and to each his own. No one is wrong for having their own ways/beliefs. It's just for me, I have to start making themes and tweaks and a custom install image so that when I get my key I'm ready to go. And I don't wanna start doing such until I can get the final version but obviously ASAP as they take time.

does anyone know if there was a difference in the wzt leaks compared to the offical one? based on the info. the build number is the same. Just wondering does the offical one have extra files that was changed compared to the wzt leaks.

So what you are saying is that you don't trust ISO's that pass MS's official hash checks to be 100% true and valid? If that is truly the case then I can see your point of view.

The rest of us know that these checks are in place because they can' t just be faked easily.

You're not making much sense.

The copy you obtain from an "official" channel has to pass the same hash checks. Do you not understand that?

Explain to me how they can differ if that is the case?

True - loading the .iso's with malware while preserving the SHA-1 hash would be virtually impossible. Your logic is sound, criccio :)

The SHA1 hash value we've been told is 326327CC2FF9F05379F5058C41BE6BC5E004BAA7 for x64.
That corresponds to an ISO with the filesize of 3,149,108KB (in explorer) and 3.00GB (3,224,686,592 Bytes) in the file properties. (and it DOES have the ei.cfg file, configured for ultimate)

Last edited:
^^^ I kindof liked the way Vista handled this. One ISO image to rule them all.
Pity they went back to having version-specific disks, even if it is just one file on it.

^^^ I kindof liked the way Vista handled this. One ISO image to rule them all.
Pity they went back to having version-specific disks, even if it is just one file on it.

I would say that this isn't much of an issue with inplace upgrades.

This is a non-issue for enthusiasts, which this forum is supposed to be populated with. Open the ISO file with UltraISO or some other ISO manipulation tool, delete the ei.cfg file, re-save the ISO, you're done - choose your version during the initial installation stage.

Why does simple stuff like this get absolutely beaten to death?

Ok, runs great, snappy, but there are some problems. Nvidia control panel for 190.xx (newest WHQL) seems a bit buggy and slow, I can't use "Add File/Folder to Library" or iTunes crashes (but dragging to iTunes works) and Lord of the Rings Online keeps CTD.

So, when are you going to actually mention a problem with the OS and not apps? :) Applications need to work with the OS, not the other way around... and Windows 7, while being "done" and a finished product, is still not available nor should people expect full 100% support from applications or developers until Oct 22nd.

We went through this same bullshit with Vista, with people "acquiring" it before it was actually out and fully supported by software developers and hardware manufacturers. Just because it's done does not mean everybody out there is ready for it, nor will they be fully ready for it till Oct 22nd.

I can just imagine all the support emails, posts, and other bullshit already happening (just like this thread, actually) from people running it and having troubles with their apps or hardware.

It's not out yet, so... really, nobody should be complaining about the final actual RTM build.

Now, if you wanna create posts complaining about the beta or RC builds because you're still using them, be my guest. But really, if you're running the final RTM build, you'd be better off keeping it quiet till at least August 6th when it's then available on TechNet or MSDN.

'Nuff typed.

So, when are you going to actually mention a problem with the OS and not apps? :) Applications need to work with the OS, not the other way around... and Windows 7, while being "done" and a finished product, is still not available nor should people expect full 100% support from applications or developers until Oct 22nd.

We went through this same bullshit with Vista, with people "acquiring" it before it was actually out and fully supported by software developers and hardware manufacturers. Just because it's done does not mean everybody out there is ready for it, nor will they be fully ready for it till Oct 22nd.

I can just imagine all the support emails, posts, and other bullshit already happening (just like this thread, actually) from people running it and having troubles with their apps or hardware.

It's not out yet, so... really, nobody should be complaining about the final actual RTM build.

Now, if you wanna create posts complaining about the beta or RC builds because you're still using them, be my guest. But really, if you're running the final RTM build, you'd be better off keeping it quiet till at least August 6th when it's then available on TechNet or MSDN.

'Nuff typed.

Actually I don't mind early adopters trying things out and letting those who are more patient observe the reuslts but you have a good point JoeAverage as usual. We have to keep in mind that officially NOTHING supports Windows 7 for about 3 more months though I would expect in the coming days and weeks to see vendors tout Windows 7 compatibility as Windows 7 is a huge deal, perhaps the most important product in Microsoft's history.

'Nuff typed.

Wow, Joe Average, thank you for letting me have it for posting some of my observations. I've sooo been typed my lesson. What the hell is the point of running something half finished and complaining about when you can run the finished thing and complain about it, at least this way while you are complaining about problems you are having I can tell you the fixes I found 2 weeks ago.

Wow, Joe Average, thank you for letting me have it for posting some of my observations. I've sooo been typed my lesson. What the hell is the point of running something half finished and complaining about when you can run the finished thing and complain about it, at least this way while you are complaining about problems you are having I can tell you the fixes I found 2 weeks ago.

You have a good point but Windows 7 really isn't finished at this point. There are a lot of apps that are going to get upgraded and patched and drivers that still need to be finished. Not saying that there's a ton of this work to do since Oct. 22 is close but its still there. So some solutions that anyone may figure out could become non-issues by Oct. 22.

That said I appreciate early adopters. As you state in a couple of weeks no doubt some of us are going to want to ask you questions and I might very well be one of them.

Well hell, if you have questions, I have the RTM on my main rig, netbook and HTPC. Ask away. ;)

Um, yes it is.

Only thing that's not finished is third-party support.

You're missing my point. Vista was "finished" and a lot of the bad PR was due to lack of or bad third-party support. Vista could have possibly been a more "finished" or at least not have as many PR issues had the third-party support been better.

I think Vista proves it all. Without good and ready third-party support, Windows DOESN'T just work. It flat out sucks and no Windows is really done without good third-party support.

If the guy wants to post his findings, let him post them and STHU about it already. Damn.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I thought the release was ahead of schedule, but it looks like its right on schedule. I'm downloading 7 RC right now, so I was hopefully I could go straight to RTM (but lack technet)

I thought the release was ahead of schedule, but it looks like its right on schedule. I'm downloading 7 RC right now, so I was hopefully I could go straight to RTM (but lack technet)

Same - I'm building a PC and am going to run 7 RC instead of RTM (lack technet as well) until 7 comes out I guess.

Back