Windows 7 DEFINTELY RTM Today! On MSDN August 6th!

Why on earth would they RTM the thing today and not release it to anyone until the 6th?

Sorry but the only official source of information is from WTB, and it looks like at the SOONEST they'll release it the week of the 6th.

RTM != date released to TechNet/MSDN

It is almost always a few weeks from RTM until it shows up on the subscription sites.

True, however two things...
A) It's usually available to *someone* within the same week. None of the listed groups are getting it until at least August 6.

B) RTM ain't official until Microsoft says so.

Why on earth would they RTM the thing today and not release it to anyone until the 6th?

Some of the MSDN blogs have mentioned 'recall-level' bugs, the kind that would cause them to stop the presses, fix the bug in a new build, then reprint DVDs. If that actually happened, but hardware developers were working on RTM code on what they thought was the final version, it could cause issues. I'm guessing the 6th is a "date of no return".

But who cares about RTM anyway, we are just going to download it on Technet, right? ;)
So the real release date is August 6. Everyone else has to wait til October anyway for the actual DVD.

A) It's usually available to *someone* within the same week. None of the listed groups are getting it until at least August 6.

They stated in the blog that OEMs would be getting it 2 days after RTM. Aug 6th for Technet & MSDN, Volume license subcribers on Aug. 7th.

As far as I'm concerned it isn't RTM yet. We just know the supposed date it'll be released to Technet/MSDN and to other partners.

Even those dates are subject to change if they suddenly find some big bug.

The purpose of RTM is to have a build worthy of release that gets pressed onto DVDs. As such, because it hasn't been announced as RTM officially just yet, no DVDs have been pressed - and even when the RTM build is finally declared, it will still be several days before any fab plants start cranking out optical media sooo...

As stated before, it'll be done when it's done, and it's not done yet.

The purpose of RTM is to have a build worthy of release that gets pressed onto DVDs. As such, because it hasn't been announced as RTM officially just yet, no DVDs have been pressed - and even when the RTM build is finally declared, it will still be several days before any fab plants start cranking out optical media sooo...

As stated before, it'll be done when it's done, and it's not done yet.

Since Microsoft has announced they are going to release it on MSDN August 6 then its done. I doubt that they would announce a RELEASE date for MSDN week after next and not have the gold code in hand.

If its not official later today I would be surprised. Microsoft just needs to do this and be done with the RTM announcement already.

Not done yet, but probably soon!

WTB said:
OEMs will receive Windows 7 RTM software images beginning approximately 2 days after we officially RTM, as a little time is required to release and distribute these images. This will allow them to begin preparing images for new PCs to ship with Windows 7 on them. We know our OEMs are excited for Windows 7 and we can’t wait to hand them the final RTM bits!

I'm putting my money on Friday the 24th as it being declared RTM.

6.1.7600.16385.090713-1255 was the latest which wasn't malware and is dated 7/13, then agin they might might of come up with a one off build number just for the sake of RTM.

EDIT...LOL, now whats the damn hash. Dammit I hate torrent sites!

The second one is all I care about, lol :)

It's official folks. Build 7600 is final.

What I found is amazing is they said 10,000,000 tested Windows 7.

Yah, I couldn't get the windows team site to come up at first, added that link after.

6.1.7600.16385.090713-1255 was the latest which wasn't malware and is dated 7/13, then agin they might might of come up with a one off build number just for the sake of RTM.

EDIT...LOL, now whats the damn hash. Dammit I hate torrent sites!

From the build tag, Windows 7 Build 7600.16385 is indeed been compiled on July 13th, 2009. Windows 7 RTM Build 7600.16385 DVD ISO images that been built by Microsoft have the following hash checksum value:

32-bit (x86) Windows 7 Ultimate RTM 7600.16385 English Retail

File Name: 7600.16385.090713-1255_x86fre_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-GRMCULFRER_EN_DVD.iso
SHA1: 5395DC4B38F7BDB1E005FF414DEEDFDB16DBF610
Size: 2,501,894,144Byte

64-bit (x64) Windows 7 Ultimate RTM 7600.16385 English Retail

File Name: 7600.16385.090713-1255_x64fre_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-GRMCULXFRER_EN_DVD.iso
SHA1: 326327CC2FF9F05379F5058C41BE6BC5E004BAA7
Size: 3,224,686,592Byte

32-bit (x86) Windows 7 Ultimate RTM 7600.16385 Simplified Chinese Retail

File Name: 7600.16385.090713-1255_x86fre_client_zh-cn_Retail_Ultimate-GRMCULFRER_CN_DVD.iso
SHA1: B589336602E3B7E134E222ED47FC94938B04354F

64-bit (x64) Windows 7 Ultimate RTM 7600.16385 Simplified Chinese Retail

File Name: 7600.16385.090713-1255_x64fre_client_zh-cn_Retail_Ultimate-GRMCULXFRER_CN_DVD.iso
SHA1: 4A98A2F1ED794425674D04A37B70B9763522B0D4

64-bit (x64) Windows Server 2008 R2 VL (Volume Licensing) RTM 7600.16385 English

7600.16385.090713-1255_x64fre_server_en-us_VL-GRMSXVOL_EN_DVD.iso
2,996,799,488 Bytes
SHA1:AD855EA913AAEC3F1D0E1833C1AEF7A0DE326B0A

That was posted already... And yes, that is the official blog. Yet, it wasn't telling us anything we didn't already know.

hmm, oops, missed half the thread. I've been following so many of these they all blend in together. :)

No surprise with how popular Win7 has been even befor it was released.
I mean, they bested Vista. Microsoft took input from 100K people to come up with Vista.

Windows 7 has 10 Million? Wow.

You don't see Apple coming up with anything that well tested, lol :)

lol good point techiesooner.

Anywho the day it is released on technet is the day I will test it out for myself. Lol I've been to lazy to test out Windows 7.

I mean, they bested Vista. Microsoft took input from 100K people to come up with Vista.

Windows 7 has 10 Million? Wow.

You don't see Apple coming up with anything that well tested, lol :)

Apple will be lucky to get that many people to upgrade to snow leopard within a year of it's release, never mind test it before it comes out :p

Has anyone tried forcing a RC1 -> RTM upgrade yet by editing cversion.ini?

Don't. You're just begging for problems down the road. Upgrade from Vista to Win7, sure, but don't upgrade from a prerelease to an RTM build.

Don't. You're just begging for problems down the road. Upgrade from Vista to Win7, sure, but don't upgrade from a prerelease to an RTM build.

and... why not? nothing is actually upgraded anymore. The old system, applications, and documents are moved aside, the new system installed in it's entirety, and then settings and shit are migrated to the new system.

Its worked great so far for build 7000 on up, so I'll be doing it again.

A lot of people got burned upgrading from XP to Vista (or 98 to XP, etc) so theres a lot of FUD about the upgrade process on 7, but it works damn well. And the worst that can happen is I will fresh install instead.

I've got no issues going XP->Vista or Vista->Windows 7

But don't try upgrading Beta/Pre-release code to something stable...

what about activating rtm with a retail or oem key in october?

It depends on how they set the discs up. If it's like Vista, any key will work with any disc. If it's more like XP then an OEM key will only work on an OEM disc, etc. But RTM is what's going to be on all discs in October and will be until the first service pack comes out.

Back