Windows 7 Availability

tuffgong

[H]ard|Gawd
I originally downloaded the 64-bit version from Microsoft, but as we all know it's no longer publicly available.

I want the 32-bit version. Is there any legal place to download from for free? I plan on buying the final version when it comes out, but I'm eager to start using it now.

No, unless you have a Microsoft TechNet subscription or you're part of the actual beta program, there's no place you can "legally" download the more current beta builds than the 7000 one released in February.

Have to say, if you are misinformed, that 64 bit is a good way to go. It can still use 32 bit programs and such. I have used it sense the beta first came out and have had no real problems yet :p

Just get it off of a torrent site and check the md5. I'm not sure why it matters if it's "legal" or not considering it's a freely available (at one time anyway) and public beta.

I would tend to agree with the post above is we're speaking specifically of build 7000 as that is the only true public release - it's all those other builds floating around that get into those gray areas. Personally, my feeling and attitude is if it's beta software then go for it. Once it's finished and a commercially available/sold product (the final destination, you could say) then it's hands off the "retail" release from that point on.

But beta builds, I doubt seriously there's even an issue of legality regarding them... an EULA does not a law make... ;)

And that Guru3D link isn't going to work either, because it just links back to the direct Microsoft download which was pulled some time ago.

I have 4 GB RAM installed.
While having two HDDs in my system, I have Vista x86 on one and Windows 7 x64 (build 7048) on the other.
According to Everest, Vista takes about 35 to 45 % of the RAM while Windows 7 indicates a RAM usage of only 23 % ! That figure varies of course during PC usage, but isn't that something ?

Oh, I should mention that Virtual Memory is completely switched off - on both OS.

Been here for 1.3 years Cov, please tell me you are joking. :eek:

Uhm, why ? I mean, hmm ... wait, you mean because of the paging file, right ?

Hmm, what is so important on swapping some RAM content onto HDD ? We all know the HDD is soo much slower than RAM.
I yet have to find an explanation for why you can have a lot of RAM but still, the OS may decide to use a part of the HDD as virtual RAM.
I just don't get it, honest.

Because Windows is designed to work that way, simple.

(Yeah, I know, I know, and he'll post something about it, guaranteed)

My teeth are designed for eating meat but yet I'm vegetarian.
My hormones are designed for me to multiply myself, but yet I still don't have own children.
My PC is designed to do amazing things, but yet I'm only surfing the web and typing some letters.

Not that I want Windows to stop multiplying itself though ...

My teeth are designed for eating meat but yet I'm vegetarian.
My hormones are designed for me to multiply myself, but yet I still don't have own children.
My PC is designed to do amazing things, but yet I'm only surfing the web and typing some letters.

Not that I want Windows to stop multiplying itself though ...

The real question is..... do you want your Windows eating meat?

Hell no ! ... I'm a vegetarian and so is my OS.
There is no way that I will have even a wallpaper showing some naked flesh :eek: :eek: Hell would freeze over ... same like if someone said I should try AMD for a change.

Who could be so gruesome to suggest something like that ? My Wolfdale and me will never be apart.

You're complaining that a new install, with almost noting on it (likely) is using less RAM than your install of Vista that likely has all your common applications precached?

Genius.

No, it's not something. Your figures are meaningless. You have absolutely no reason to install a 32bit OS.

I want to install on an older non 64-bit CPU system. Thanks for the tips.

I want to install on an older non 64-bit CPU system. Thanks for the tips.

This in the other hand makes perfect sense (the above was directed at Cov, not the OP).

Guru3d.com is hosting the original 7000 build ISOs, I believe.

Just a point - it's impossible to disable virtual memory, though it is possible to disable the page file (as to whether that's a good idea or not is a different matter). All processes will always have virtual memory because that's the way every modern desktop memory manager works, and even without a page file, files can be mapped from the disk into virtual memory.

Virtual memory is a CRITICAL concept in modern OS'es. One of the most critical components of an OS memory management. You wouldn't want the typical process doing that on its own. Typical applications shouldn't know anything about the implementation details of the memory subsystem.

Virtual memory is simply a layer of abstraction that multiple processes to work smoothly in an OS without craping on each other.

Please, don't throw out benchmarks of an OS near the SP2 level and a beta OS that isn't technically even a release candidate yet, ok? It doesn't help anyone... once Windows 7 is done and real drivers come out, there will more than likely be a slight edge in performance with it over Vista on the same hardware, but not until then.

So, don't bring benchmarks into this...

Back