Windows 7 and AHCI

chem

n00b
Windows 7 and AHCI. Anyone noticed problems in the beta with their new SATA drives in AHCI mode and an Intel ICHx board?

http://derek858.blogspot.com/2009/01/windows-7-intel-sataahci-lockups.html
that blog post indicates that Win7 comes with old drivers, and is not usuable for many/most desktop machines out of the box. Boo! I was hoping to not have to install Intel Matrix drivers with Win7, as they've been a source of crashes for me in XP.

also, if you have the beta, please read that post and give MS feedback about the bug. I do not have the beta but I really hope this gets fixed before release.

This is a driver install problem it looks more than anything else. Just some registry keys, should be ironed out. This is what betas are for.

I haven't had a single problem with Win7 64, AHCI and the Intel ICH9R running the stock Win7 drivers. My SATA drives are as follows: WD 640AAKS, Seagate 7200.10 320 and 7200.11 500 as well as a Lite On DVD burner.

You shouldn't have any reason to be loading the Matrix drivers anyway, unless you are running an array. I've installed Windows 7 on three Intel chipset computers so far. Just install as normal, load the Intel chipset drivers first, and you should be fine. It's the same process as a Vista system.

I cant install 7 with AHCI on, it freezes at the installation screen after it copies files and starts the actual installation... just like Vista does.

I haven't had a single problem with Win7 64, AHCI and the Intel ICH9R running the stock Win7 drivers. My SATA drives are as follows: WD 640AAKS, Seagate 7200.10 320 and 7200.11 500 as well as a Lite On DVD burner.

Same. Except I have an ICH9 (non-R)

i have AHCI problems with vista...

will work for 3-4 reboots or so, but after that, hangs during boot...

ICH10R too.... thought it would be super reliable.... bleh.... stupid cheapo motherboard...

I´m able to install Vista SP1 w/ AHCI enabled on P5Q-E and WD6400AAKS.

On W7, I had to switch into IDE-mode.

I´m able to install Vista SP1 w/ AHCI enabled on P5Q-E and WD6400AAKS.

On W7, I had to switch into IDE-mode.

yeah, between this and the other couple reports of problems above you, it seems like this is broken. Please send Intel and MS feedback so that it can be fixed for release!

Back