Windows 7 aero question

crazymonkee84

Limp Gawd
So I did the windows 7 compatiblity check for my computer and it says that my video card won't support the aero feature. I know the feature is sort of pointless and is mostly for looks but I have a evga gtx260 that I bought last December and don't know how it wouldn't be able to work......anyone have any ideas as why this is so?

The compatibility check does that sometimes.

7 AERO is the same as Vista AERO, so if it works already, the it will work.

(btw, a GMA 950 can run it, so can a 6150LE) <-- both are crap video cards from a long time ago.

hahahah okay yeah I was thinking it was just microsoft's compatibility check being stupid. Thanks

The compatibility check does that sometimes.

7 AERO is the same as Vista AERO, so if it works already, the it will work.

(btw, a GMA 950 can run it, so can a 6150LE) <-- both are crap video cards from a long time ago.

Win7 AERO isn’t exactly the same as VISTA, vista I believe requires a DX9.0 card for AERO to work and is more demanding where as Win7 AERO doesn’t seem to care and I have yet to find a card that Win7's AERO doesn’t work on.

Win7's Aero will benefit from DX10 cards, supposed to have lower memory usage and faster performance with them and WDDM 1.1, haven't tested it directly, your GTX 260 is a DX10 card, so should be perfect for Aero in Win7

Win7's Aero will benefit from DX10 cards, supposed to have lower memory usage and faster performance with them and WDDM 1.1, haven't tested it directly, your GTX 260 is a DX10 card, so should be perfect for Aero in Win7

In Vista, with WDM 1.0, the memory for Aero is held both in Video Ram and System Ram. With WDM 1.1, it only uses Video Ram. If you have both Vista and Windows 7 with WDM 1.1 compatible hardware, you can test this for yourself by opening a huge amount of Explorer windows, say 20 or so. In Vista, you'll see your system ram being eaten up. In Windows 7, there is no real change.

As far as the OP's problem, it sounds like a driver issue. I would uninstall your current drives, reboot into Safe Mode, and run DriverCleaner. Then reboot into normal mode, go to Nvida's website and download the lates Beta drivers. Can't say for sure it'll work, but it at least seems like a solid starting point for finding a solution.

Back