• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Windows 7 64bit + 5870 locking up randomly

It's probably power play related with the switching between 2D/3D clocks and voltages.

I know I'll never buy ATI again after this, inexcusable bugs like this piss me the f*** off :)
 
I'm getting random black screens with my Asus 5870/cat 9.11 and Win7 64. I can hear the action still going on (COD:MW) but have no video. Eventually it comes out of it, has a few mega stutters and all is fine for a while. Overheating?
I'm going to try maxing the fan speed and see if the prob persists.
 
I've been getting very similar crashes ever since getting my xfx 5870. I had absolutely no stability problems when I had my 8800gt, but now I'm constantly holding my breath waiting for another hard lock. The card works fine in games, never locks up or anything, it just crashes when coming out of sleep when I log in. sometimes the driver can be reset, other times I just get a black screen. If I'm lucky I get the "display driver has stopped working" dialog and then it's ok. Nothing is overclocked and it did the same thing in vista64/win7 64 beta/win7 64 rtm. My guess is it will go away if I shut down every time or don't put it to sleep, but wtf kinda crap is that!

:mad:

I am having exactly the same problems coming out of sleep Vista x64 Ultimate

Sometimes it crashes, sometimes it complains but it goes ahead, sometimes it goes into a semizombie state where the clocks are locked high and gives 99% load while doing nothing on Vista desktop. Rebooting takes acre of the problem, but it is a major bother

Browsing around, people with similar problems(including nVidia cards) fixed them by updating their chipset drivers. I had an nVidia 8800 GTS640 and only had these kind of problems with early nVidia Vista drivers

Both your motherboard and mine share the P35 Intel chipset. I tried the Asus website, but the chipset drivers there are old

I am trying the Intel website, but I can not find chipset drivers for P35, maybe it has a different Intel name

Maybe Abit is better than Asus with recent chipset drivers and that can work for you

Good luck,
 
"It's probably power play related with the switching between 2D/3D clocks and voltages."

^^ this

Ever since I got ahold of my Asus 5870 it's been fine in games.

On the desktop however... in Windows XP x32 on my old PC with the 5870 and on Windows 7 x64 with the 5870... i'd sometimes get wierd 2d corruption. I'd get pixels and lines of all different colors pouring across my screen. It would not crash, and sounds and everything would work normal but I couldn't tell what I was looking at if it got bad enough. The mouse pointer and lines of text would courrupt and look wierd. It would only happen occasionaly in 2d. It would not happen in fullscreen 3d games, etc. It happened a decent bit in Windows XP. It has not happened quite as much in Windows 7 x64. I don't think i've seen it at all with the 9.12 betas.
 
Try them on a different system. I saw someone return 3 cards and the 4th card worked.

Try a different motherboard\Powersupply...or a whole different system...

That'll help you figure out the problem.
 
Hmmm, worked A+ stellar for a week, never turned off, nothing. Sleep worked, everything was awesome

Upon attaching second monitor 3 bsods within 12 hours. Stock clocks.

Ughhhhhhh.
 
I'm having this SAME damn problem under Win 7 32bit and 64bit with my XFX 5870.... black random screens with vertical lines.

I called Newegg for an RMA but was too lazy to send it in. After two weeks, I started to think, maybe its Windows 7.

SURE ENOUGH, under Windows XP, no crashes and 100% stable

Man, HONESTLY ... wtf and ... any help / solution?
 
Last week I come to mky system to find it with a blank screen and it wouldn't respond. It tried to boot up with 3 quick flickers of the power light and then went ttally dead. I pulled the CMOS battery and it came back and run for 8 days but did crash several times. It crashed 5 times yesterday and I realized Win 7 was running in there but I couldn't see it. I finised it off today with several restarts trying everything I could. I put my 4870 back in and i;m back to normal. well except for the $400 hole in my pocket and I try not to think when I will see it again : ( Played Dirt 2 three or four times : (

I posted my problem to XFX support last night. No word today and I replied to them it wqas dead. Still waiting. I got it 11/2 at Micro Center so my 30 days justslipped by. They don't have it anyway.
 
Not sure what they're going to include/fix, but the 9.12's will be out on the 16th per the Guru3D forums.
 
ok so, i dont have all my parts yet, but basically i will have win7 64, HD5870, GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD4P, not that the hardware seems to make a difference cause there are problems all across the board .

i would agree with ATI in there assessment with it being one of the win 7 new updates because:

1)The problem is occurring with a variety of ATI cards ranging from the 4000 series to the 5000 series.
2) The motherboard does not seem to make a difference.
3) all the little fixes like don't install the ATI HDMI audio drivers, or manually move the GPU's fan to %40 when running at full power, or update bios only seem help very few people and then later they report back that they've crashed again

One of ATI's C++ drivers probably conflicts with that of windows 7. the most logical temporary fix would be to install windows, and don't download windows updates until 9.12 comes out on the 16th as stated above.

when i get all my parts im hoping that this will be fixed...

Would it be a good idea to not plug in the internet on my comp when i get it, DL the drivers from a different one, put on a flash drive and then install on my comp before connecting to internet to DL windows updates?

Also has Anyone tried clean sweeping their comp, installing windows 7, and not installing the windows updates?
 
Last week I come to mky system to find it with a blank screen and it wouldn't respond. It tried to boot up with 3 quick flickers of the power light and then went ttally dead. I pulled the CMOS battery and it came back and run for 8 days but did crash several times. It crashed 5 times yesterday and I realized Win 7 was running in there but I couldn't see it. I finised it off today with several restarts trying everything I could. I put my 4870 back in and i;m back to normal. well except for the $400 hole in my pocket and I try not to think when I will see it again : ( Played Dirt 2 three or four times : (

I posted my problem to XFX support last night. No word today and I replied to them it wqas dead. Still waiting. I got it 11/2 at Micro Center so my 30 days justslipped by. They don't have it anyway.

My 4870 did the same thing. Now I am tracing the problem back to ASUS BIOS 1805 I flashed on 11/25. I've had crashes ever since. I tried to back up as I have before but any older BIOS errors out with "File date older than board" After I reset the CMOS it goes back to '02. How can any BIOS dated xx/09 be older? ASUS has hosed my motherboard. Back to Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7. I just don't like having to water cool the chipset. No biggie cuz I have the whole setup from my first GA-EX58 that blew 2 video cards. I'm just not having a real good year with my i7, m/boards and video cards :)

It seems if I turn off "ATI Overdrive"it will go further. I had forgotten to disable the PCIE Spread Spectrum in BIOS so that's fixed now. Here I sit typing waiting for click - blank.
 
My 4870 did the same thing. Now I am tracing the problem back to ASUS BIOS 1805 I flashed on 11/25. I've had crashes ever since. I tried to back up as I have before but any older BIOS errors out with "File date older than board" After I reset the CMOS it goes back to '02. How can any BIOS dated xx/09 be older? ASUS has hosed my motherboard. Back to Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7. I just don't like having to water cool the chipset. No biggie cuz I have the whole setup from my first GA-EX58 that blew 2 video cards. I'm just not having a real good year with my i7, m/boards and video cards :)

It seems if I turn off "ATI Overdrive"it will go further. I had forgotten to disable the PCIE Spread Spectrum in BIOS so that's fixed now. Here I sit typing waiting for click - blank.

What does PCIE Spread Spectrum do and why disable it? Don't think I have messed with that one.
 
I hope this doesn't plague me. I just ordered a 5870 and I am running W7 64 bit as well.
 
What does PCIE Spread Spectrum do and why disable it? Don't think I have messed with that one.

I not clear on it's effects and purpose but my BIOS sidebar says "Disable to help overclock your video." I read some other posts that agreed. I fopund this and still studying;

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/EE6BC161F0C17F0986256FEE005D3797

I run for hours and clicked IE and boom! blank screen. I am trying now wih PCIE Frenquency at 107. I did pick a little boost. At least it feels snappy!

How long 'til puf? You have a paper weight : (
 
The crashing is seriously pissing me off now. Argh!!!

I reported it to XFX and they are playing the "we have never heard of this" response. I told them its all over tech forums and even gave them the thread I am in from the AMD Game forums.

I asked them to talk to ATI and they basically said they cant and if its a driver issue, then I will just have to wait until a new driver is released.

Wish ATI would at least post something in their forums about this.
 
Last edited:
At least you got a response Mike. I submitted a ticket to them a couple days ago and haven't heard back yet. I'm really wondering where that heavily touted kickass support that they supposedly have is....

In my case I'm thinking it's driver related, as I'm getting similar crashes to yours in Win7 x64 that stop when I disable my onboard sound (not the ATI one). Issue never cropped up with the previous video cards that were in this build... An 8800gts, 8800gt, and a 4870 512 MB version.
 
I guess I've been lucky. I get some weird vsnyc related stutters in FPS games, but no crashes or anything.
However there are lots of little underlying issues with the 5x series. I know the AVS forums are full of posts with people having HDMI audio issues and pretty much every tech forum has tons of posts like this one.
 
Only problem I've had is the power play bug. I solved that(for now) by NOT enabling the ati overdrive function. I can unlock overdrive but when I enable it I get the shaky screen and occasional lockups.
 
My first and last purchaese from XFX. I got a RMA for my 5870 card today after having some scren blanking. I was instructed to return it. Easy enough, Until I read the fine print : (

IMPORTANT INFO: If your exact part number is no longer available, XFX will replace with an alternate part based on product performance. To help us select an alternate replacement part, please provide details for any required product features such as dual DVI, SLI, CrossFire, ECT.

I ddn't pay $400 for my 5870 t get it replaed wth a 5770.
 
Whats wrong with telling them that :).
More ammo is that you have threads displaying this is a widespread problem, production defect if you wanna call it that.

Email your thoughts and make sure you get a response that will shows that you are entitled to a new 5870.
 
IMPORTANT INFO: If your exact part number is no longer available, XFX will replace with an alternate part based on product performance. To help us select an alternate replacement part, please provide details for any required product features such as dual DVI, SLI, CrossFire, ECT.

I ddn't pay $400 for my 5870 t get it replaed wth a 5770.

This usually applies if you're returning a card that's several years old and no longer in stock, in which case you'll be given an equal or better card.
 
With the second flashing of my BIOS from ASUS 1804, my problems are solved. ASUS tech kept telling me to flassh it again. Weird. I wonder if that file has bwen changed? Although they didn't specify to re-download it. No matter I up and smoking!

I replied to XFXForce that a comparable card wasn't acceptable as a replacement for my 42 day old $400 video card. I haved heard back yet as it wasa Friday late when I sent my reply in.

I agree with Taikero that a few years on the card would ease my redness!

I have always had a speckle effect in Crysis unless I disable ATI Overdrive. No biggie tere but my fan goesback to auto and things do heat up.
 
I replied to XFXForce that a comparable card wasn't acceptable as a replacement for my 42 day old $400 video card. I haved heard back yet as it wasa Friday late when I sent my reply in.

Probably hard for them to decide how to respond to those with English comprehension issues...

(There's no reason your exact part number isn't available anymore...)
 
Ihave the same problem with Stalker Call of Pripyat

Often when I start Stalker or try to switch to Desktop from the game computer locks with black screen. Hard reboot is the only solution.

Asus 5870 stock speeds
Windows 7 64 bit
Latest 10.2 Catalisis drivers

Any solution found for this issue yet? Or shall I return the card?
 
RMA the card bro, seriously...Dont even bother trying to trouble shoot it you will waste a month, i did with a xfx 5970, works some days don't others lock ups, every driver tried everything, water cooled it, which voided the warranty, for it ultimately just die... XFX can suck it, bought 2 asus 5970, i could pee on them and they work perfect..not one problem
 
Back
Top