• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Windows 7 64-bit Build Help

BAbdulBaki

n00b
Joined
Nov 7, 2010
Messages
2
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Programming, algorithm testing, software testing, web browsing. Nothing to do with gaming. So any hardware that only makes sense for gaming, please rule it out for me.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Around $1,500, but a little flexible.
3) Where do you live?
Woodbridge, VA (DC metro area)
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Seriously, everything. I'm building this from scratch and I have no idea where to start. I've been told to check out Tiger Direct for barebone PC kits. However, I am looking for speed and memory. At least 12 GB RAM upgradeable in the future to 24 GB or more.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
N/A
6) Will you be overclocking?
Not my intent. Should I? How much more speed are we talking 15% or 50%?
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
I need a 20+" LCD. I'm flexible here.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within six months.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.
Maybe USB 3.0. Not interested in RAID or anything gaming-related.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
I have a WinXP 32 bit license and maybe a 64 bit. However, I am looking for Windows 7 64 bit.
 
I'm building this from scratch and I have no idea where to start.
Well any computer needs a motherboard, a power supply, a case, a processor, ram, at least one hard drive or ssd. It may also need a graphics card (more on this later). An optical drive is also strongly reccomended (it's a pain to install an OS without one).

Lets start with your ram requirement, basically getting support for 24GB means you need to go with the LGA1366/x58/i7-9xx platform. That limits a lot of your other choices. If you don't plan to overclock then i'd just get the basic ram but from a good brand (crucial seem pretty good and have a useful online memory selector tool which will pick out ram that they gaurantee is compatible with the motherboard you select)

Looking at the current selection of i7-9xx processors on newegg the i7-950 seems the best bang per buck.

The LGA1366 platform doesn't have integrated graphics so you will need to add a graphics card, it doesn't need to be an expensive high end one though.

I'd suggest getting a SSD for your OS drive, you should be able to fit it in that budget and it will have a large impact on perceived performance.

Not sure on particular makes/models of motherboard.

Power supply wise i'd suggest using an online power supply calculator and adding a fairly generous safety/expansion margin on top and making sure you get a good brand (take a look though the threads in the power supplies forum). Also make sure the PSU you get has the right connectors to power up your motherboard and if needed your graphics card (though most low end graphics cards don't need seperate power).
 
Last edited:
. I've been told to check out Tiger Direct for barebone PC kits.

That's the last thing you want to do. Ignore that piece of advice for ANY future build. Those Tigerdirect Barbone PC kits comes with PSUs so shitty, they're not worth the savings or high risk to the PC.

Now is there any way that you can narrow down the exact time frame as to when you're building the PC? Whatever parts we recommend this month may not be the same parts we recommend in January let alone six months from now. Hell even in December there's gonna be a few differences in recommended hardware from November here and there.

So if six months is the best that you can do, please come back at least two weeks before you actually plan to buy. That way you'll be get the latest up to date info on hardware selection and deals. Planning a build right now when you can't narrow down the exact time frame for the purchase is a bit of waste of time for everyone involved. Not to mention that you may end up with old, outdated, outperformed, and/or overpriced hardware by planning this early.
 
My current computer is currently five years old. Obsolete by most standards. Since I don't plan to upgrade within three years of purchase, I'm sure whatever model I get will be obsolete soon enough. But you're right, six months is a long time and I definitely won't be putting it together until at least January. I'll post back again once I know for sure.
 
My current computer is currently five years old. Obsolete by most standards. Since I don't plan to upgrade within three years of purchase, I'm sure whatever model I get will be obsolete soon enough. But you're right, six months is a long time and I definitely won't be putting it together until at least January. I'll post back again once I know for sure.

Cool. There's actually gonna be an entirely new Intel platform being released in January so you should be fine there.
 
Back
Top