Windows 2003 Standard Edition 64bit and AD and Antivirus

drdre

n00b
hi all..

I am playing around with Active directory..getting my hands dirty with learn how to use it and so forth...

but i have come across something that might be stupid to some of you all.. but to me it has me clueless.. i have read the builtin help and so forth with no luck... I am trying to add users to AD... and it gives me a password.. stating that my password violates the password policy.. or isnt complex enough or is too short.. my question is where i can view these policies and also whats a good lenght for a password to use for users.. so far i have 7 letters in lenght and get the same password policy error... its states its one of the 3.. but not which one.. help please.

Lastly i have been looking around for an antivirus/firewall that would work well for Windows 2003 server 64bit edition. Any good ones... a link to it would be nice.. looking for ones that you guys have tested and played with..

thanks in advanec.

Install the GPMC (Group Policy Management Console) from MIcrosoft, then open it up.
On the left side, expand your domain and click on "Group Policy Objects"
On the right side, right click on "Default Domain Policy" and choose Edit
- Under Computer Settings
- Expand Account Policies
-- Expand Password Policy

In the right side "Password must meet complexity requirements" should be 'Disabled'

then under Account Policies/Kerberos policies "enforce user logon restrictions' should be 'disabled'

The firewall that comes with 2003 should be OK for your personal stuff/testing/ etc

I cant find a GPMC that will run on 2003 x64 bit :(

is there one avaialbe or do i have to use a third party application ?

you can load it up on a client computer that has XP on it and point it at the domain controller and you should have no problems.

Or right click on the domain name listed in AD Users and computers, select properties, select the "Group Policy" tab, and edit the policy there.

- Under Computer Settings
- Expand Account Policies
-- Expand Password Policy

In the right side "Password must meet complexity requirements" should be 'Disabled'

then under Account Policies/Kerberos policies "enforce user logon restrictions' should be 'disabled'

Password complexity requirements from MS.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/bpactlck.mspx#EBB

You can also edit the GPO by going into AD Users and Computers and right clicking the domain, choosing properties and then going to the Group Policy tab, choosing the default domain policy and then Edit

Back