Windows 2003 file sharing on workgroup

Need help with file sharing problem on Windows 2003 server on a simple workgroup please.

Current office uses Windows 2003 server enterprise edition as the only PC in a workgroup. There are 4 terminals that run a program called Patientworks through the server which is currently working fine.

I added a Windows 2000 professional client PC to the network. Simply plugged it into the same 10/100 switch as the Windows 2003 server and setup the same workgroup name. The Windows 2000 machine can't see the Windows 2003 server on the workgroup at all. The Windows 2003 server can see the Windows 2000 machine but can't access any shares on it and gives an error lacking permissions to access it when I click on the client computer name in Network Neighborhood. I've gone through all the permissions and granted full access to all groups on the folders shared on both computers but not having any luck.

Any tips would be appreciated.

You need to have the same username and password on both the server and the workstation for the workstation/user to see the shares on the server.

I have the same setup at home and created the users on the server, gave them no passwords, but made sure the usernames match on both server and desktop.

Ive got no problems with this setup (and it works pretty good)

- alternatively you can put a .BAT or .VBS file in the \startup folder for each user profile on the desktop, so they can map the drive to the server, instead of browsing for the shares.

dbwillis said:
You need to have the same username and password on both the server and the workstation for the workstation/user to see the shares on the server.

I have the same setup at home and created the users on the server, gave them no passwords, but made sure the usernames match on both server and desktop.

Ive got no problems with this setup (and it works pretty good)

- alternatively you can put a .BAT or .VBS file in the \startup folder for each user profile on the desktop, so they can map the drive to the server, instead of browsing for the shares.

Yep, this is exactly what I've done at home, before setting up a domain.

or you can just add a "user account" to the server machine that has the same login and password that you use on the client machine, that way you can log in to each computer on a different account and still have file sharing...
This is the proper way to do it, in the real world not many networks use the same login and pass for each machine.

as far as permissions go, best practice is to add the USER ACCOUNT you created to the sharing tab AND the security tab of each share, the everyone account added to both tabs will also work but is less secure. Using the same login on each computer is just plain silly, and is a bootstrap workaround for a problem that is easily solved with a good undestanding of filesharing.

dont even get me started on how silly it is to use win2003 on a client machine in a workgroup... talk about overkill unless you plan on moving to a domain soon.

Back