Windows 2000 Strange Network Problem

[Spectre]

[H] Admin
Staff member
Ok so a user at my place of employ is having a problem and asked me to look at it since our paid IT staff is slow. The problem as desribed by the user is that they installed some windows updates that came down sometime (me thinks they were pretty old) on his 2000 machine. Once he rebooted he got this message:

error1cq.jpg

Followed by this one:
error29zo.jpg

Yes that is Powerpoint in the background which the user assures me was not running at start up previous to this. I told them to do the usual cleanup before I got there to which they replied that in addition to the error message they could not update Norton since the internet connection was down....yet they were being assigned a IP by the DHCP server and nothing had changed in the network settings (hence why this was put in this forum).

I am getting a headache just thinking of going down there to work on this this afternoon. The user still does not have an internet connection the pics came through from a collegue.

So anyone have any idea how big a bear trap I am about to step on?

Bump, I know you said you did the normal cleanup, but what about these locations :>

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\UserData

Sounds to me like some shortcut is in her \Startup folder
If another person logs into the machine, do they get the same pop up and no 'net connection?

dbwillis said:
Bump, I know you said you did the normal cleanup, but what about these locations :>

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\UserData

Actually they haven't done it yet since they couldn't connect (meaning they decided to just wait for me and not try anything).....whcih means i get to spend the first 1hr doing that. Plus virus/spyware removal.

Sounds to me like some shortcut is in her \Startup folder
If another person logs into the machine, do they get the same pop up and no 'net connection?

The machine in question has just one log on....the dreaded administrator. I know. I am not the official tech support or sys admin.

Well short version....lots and lots of viruses/malware/spyware running. IT dept cut his connection :p

Well done here then.

Back