WINDOWS 2000 SERVER

My home file server runs windows 2000 advanced server. It's overkill and I think I'm going to just toss XP pro on it.

wots the difefence between advanced 2000 server and the normal i havea copy of both

and do u think my pc specs are good look at me signature with the details

Microsoft released various versions of Windows 2000 to cater to different markets and business needs. It released Windows 2000 Professional, Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server and Windows 2000 Datacenter Server. Each edition was packaged separately.

Windows 2000 Professional was designed as the desktop operating system for businesses and power users. It is the basic unit of Windows 2000, and the most common. It offers greater security and stability than many of the previous Windows desktop operating systems. It supports up to two processors, and can address up to 4 GB of RAM. The system requirements were a Pentium Processor @133 MHz or greater, at least 32 MB of RAM, 650 MB of hard drive space, and a CD-ROM drive (recommended: Pentium II, 128 MB of RAM, 1 GB of hard drive space, and CD-ROM drive).

Windows 2000 Server products share the same user interface with Windows 2000 Professional, but contain additional components for running infrastructure and application software. A significant component of the server products is Active Directory, which is an enterprise-wide directory service based on LDAP. Additionally, Microsoft integrated Kerberos network authentication, replacing the often-criticised NTLM authentication system used in previous versions. This also provided a purely transitive-trust relationship between Windows 2000 domains in a forest (a collection of one or more Windows 2000 domains that share a common schema, configuration, and global catalogue, being linked with two-way transitive trusts). Furthermore, Windows 2000 introduced a DNS server which allows dynamic registration of IP addresses.

Windows 2000 Advanced Server is a variant of Windows 2000 Server operating system designed for medium-to-large businesses. It offers clustering infrastructure for high availability and scalability of applications and services, including main memory support of up to 8 gigabytes (GB) on Physical Address Extension (PAE) systems and the ability to do 8-way SMP. It has support for TCP/IP load balancing and enhanced two-node server clusters based on the Microsoft Cluster Server (MSCS) in the Windows NT Server 4.0 Enterprise Edition.[89] A limited edition 64-bit version of Windows 2000 Advanced Server was made available via the OEM Channel. It also supports failover and load balancing.

Windows 2000 Datacenter Server is a variant of the Windows 2000 Server that is designed for large businesses that move large quantities of confidential or sensitive data frequently via a central server. As with Advanced Server, it supports clustering, failover and load balancing. Its minimum system requirements are normal, but it was designed to be capable of handing more advanced hardware—for instance it was capable of supporting computers with up to 32 CPUs and 64 GBs RAM. A limited edition 64-bit version of Windows 2000 Datacenter Server was made available via the OEM Channel.

thanxs for the quick reply mate

i have windows 2000 server where can u get a copy od the Windows 2000 Datacenter server from cos i would like to trial it! and see what its like ?

have u ever used any of these servers?

2000 server is EOL so it will be hard to find. Ebay is your best bet but its still going for a few hunderd $

End Of Life, means you cant buy it any more, its not supported etc. You wont get updates for it and all that.

i was asking cos ive got a copy of 2000 server and i cant get iis to work properly and i want to host me own website from me pc and do port forwarding on me router but it dont seem to work

any help would be greatly excepted!

Then why didn't you just ask that question first?

Give us some more detail on what's not working... Is IIS running? Is it serving web pages to internal clients?

ive tried but to no avail so please sum1 help lol

Well I'm going to assume a lot of things here.

1) You have Installed IIS 5.0/ 6.0 ? (I forget which came with 2000) correctly via the defaults.

2) You have not changed the default ports on the IIS Settings. Aka HTTP is still Port 80.

3) You have a standard Home Grade Router (Linksys / Dlink )

So...

You need to know your External IP, that is the IP given to you by your internet provider. You can find this out by going into your router and checking the IP address given there, or you can visit one of many website (http://whatismyip.com/) and determine that IP.

Next you should give your server a static internal IP (Something like 192.168.1.150).

Go into your routers settings and under Port Forwarding, just forward all request on Port 80 to your Server IP.

To get to your Server from the outside world, and to test that your IIS Server is working, open a browser and navigate to your External IP Address. Something should show up.

Since you haven't given us much information to work off of, I will assume you have done all this and your still stuck. So in your reply please take some time to write out a few detailed paragraphs about whats going on and you'll probably find a lot more helpful post.

Port 80 probably blocked by your ISP.
Many home grade routers don't support "loopback"...so you often are not able to browse to your external public IP address:80 from inside of your network to test your own webpage...it will probably fail...not because IIS isn't working..but because of lack of loopback support.
Running a web server on default settings on an old Windows based IIS...probably get hijacked, exploited, and broken into within a few minutes.

Port 80 probably blocked by your ISP.
Many home grade routers don't support "loopback"...so you often are not able to browse to your external public IP address:80 from inside of your network to test your own webpage...it will probably fail...not because IIS isn't working..but because of lack of loopback support.
Running a web server on default settings on an old Windows based IIS...probably get hijacked, exploited, and broken into within a few minutes.
QFT... If you are serious about hosting your own site you may want to either "splurge" for Windows Server 2003/2008 Web Edition (at a minimum) or look into setting up a linux box.

CentOS, Ubuntu or Fedora are all relatively easy to work with. If you want to use windows, look at XAMMP for Windows from Apachefriends, a free all-in-one solution using Apache, PHP, MySQL and a plethora of other open-source tools. Get a good software firewall (Comodo Firewall is decent and cheap) and only open the ports you need both on the box and at the router.

But seriously... why? There are plenty of good (and cheap) hosting services out there. No need to host your own unless you have a very specific need.

Back