Windows 11 will run fine on older computers

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
https://www.theverge.com/22644194/m...inimum-system-requirements-processors-changes

Of course, many of us have already been running it on older systems, but it previously required swapping a DLL file from the Windows 10 install to bypass the requirements. I have it running on a system with a 2500K, Q6600, Pentium-D 930, and even an Athlon64 X2. All computers running great, some even using Vista 64 drivers just fine. In fact, the ONLY issue I've had is that if you use REALLY old video drivers (Vista era), the transparency effects can be glitchy. This behavior also occurs in recent builds of Windows 10 and is solved with a single toggle by disabling transparency effects.

It seems that Microsoft is simply dropping the requirement altogether for anyone who installs using an ISO rather than Windows Update. I think that's a good compromise TBH. You don't really need some random idiot who doesn't know what they are doing installing it via Windows Update, but anyone who has even basic computer knowledge knows what to do with an ISO.

"Microsoft announced its Windows 11 minimum hardware requirements in June, and made it clear that only Intel 8th Gen and beyond CPUs were officially supported. Microsoft now tells us that this install workaround is designed primarily for businesses to evaluate Windows 11, and that people can upgrade at their own risk as the company can’t guarantee driver compatibility and overall system reliability. Microsoft won’t be recommending or advertising this method of installing Windows 11 to consumers."

Why would a company want an unreliable operating system with incompatible drivers? There are companies that don't want to know about abandoning Windows 7 to move to Windows 10.
Think now that on Windows 11 correct functioning is not guaranteed. This thing makes me smile

Why would a company want an unreliable operating system with incompatible drivers? There are companies that don't want to know about abandoning Windows 7 to move to Windows 10.
Think now that on Windows 11 correct functioning is not guaranteed. This thing makes me smile

They didn't say that existing drivers wouldn't be compatible, only that they would not guarantee compatibility. In most cases, Windows 10, Windows 8/8.1, Windows 7, and even Windows Vista drivers work just fine with Windows 11. I don't blame Microsoft for not wanting to guarantee anything when it comes to people using old drivers because the hardware manufacturer themselves has abandoned support. I think it's great that they let people test it for themselves though, because in 99%+ of cases anything that could run Windows 10 will run Windows 11 just fine.

Reactions: raldo
like this
People are investing a lot of time in actually installing this thing?

I would imagine people in charge of a fleet of different computer IT could be testing it yes.
yup one of the "various reasons". i was testing it on our fleet devices because our "current" systems are anything with a gen4 i5 quad core or newer, 8GB+ and ssd.

I don't see any meaningful improvement over Win10. I guess if you want an aesthetic change or you're excited for the widgets?

new systems will be rolling out with it by xmas, some want to get a jump on it for various reasons and its not that much effort to manually install.
People should really broaden their horizon and learn about other OSes instead of wasting their time on Windows.

People should really broaden their horizon and learn about other OSes instead of wasting their time on Windows.

I agree, but disagree 🤣
Windows "client" is the dominant OS for consumer general purpose computing.

https://www.theverge.com/22644194/m...inimum-system-requirements-processors-changes

Microsoft is announcing today that it won’t block people from installing Windows 11 on most older PCs. While the software maker has recommended hardware requirements for Windows 11 — which it’s largely sticking to — a restriction to install the OS will only be enforced when you try to upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 through Windows Update. This means anyone with a PC with an older CPU that doesn’t officially pass the upgrade test can still go ahead and download an ISO file of Windows 11 and install the OS manually

I would imagine people in charge of a fleet of different computer IT could be testing it yes.
I'd love to be testing this garbage OS for work. My problem is in Microsoft's infinite stupidity I can't register for the Insider Program because my work environment is GCC High (I have to push the update through Intune). I can't even sign into the registration page, I just get a spinning circle. So I opened a ticket with them and I've now been bounced to a 3rd person in the hopes it's the right department. This has been going on for 3 weeks now.

MS has no clue what the flying fuck they're doing anymore.

I have a i7 7700 cpu and motherboard with secure boot and TPM 2.0 module on it, and still the only was is to burn to an iso then install win 11. Even after that it won't be officially supported. That is just beyond stupid, even for MS. Don't get me wrong I'm looking forward to installing and using it but jeez.

I have a i7 7700 cpu and motherboard with secure boot and TPM 2.0 module on it, and still the only was is to burn to an iso then install win 11. Even after that it won't be officially supported. That is just beyond stupid, even for MS. Don't get me wrong I'm looking forward to installing and using it but jeez.

Microsoft believes that your computer would be more likely to deliver a 99.8% crash-free experience with a Celeron G4900.

I have a i7 7700 cpu and motherboard with secure boot and TPM 2.0 module on it, and still the only was is to burn to an iso then install win 11.

You should just be able to download the ISO, double-click on the ISO (this will cause windows to automatically mount it as a virtual DVD drive), open the virtual drive, and double-click on setup.exe. No need to burn anything.

What are you worried about with regards to a CPU being "supported" anyway? What is MS doing for you with a "supported" CPU that you don't get with an "unsupported" CPU? Either it works or it doesn't. Maybe at some point they will enable some feature that will require certain CPU capabilities, but as of right now there isn't anything you can't do just because you have an "unsupported" CPU.

You should just be able to download the ISO, double-click on the ISO (this will cause windows to automatically mount it as a virtual DVD drive), open the virtual drive, and double-click on setup.exe. No need to burn anything.

What are you worried about with regards to a CPU being "supported" anyway? What is MS doing for you with a "supported" CPU that you don't get with an "unsupported" CPU? Either it works or it doesn't. Maybe at some point they will enable some feature that will require certain CPU capabilities, but as of right now there isn't anything you can't do just because you have an "unsupported" CPU.

LOL I'm not worried about it just pointing out the stupid...if the word "burning" bothers you I can use a different one? They are really making it way more difficult than it needs to be because of arbitrary security requirements that don't effect most consumers. I don't know about you but I'd prefer my perfectly capable current hardware to be supported by the OS, whatever that means in the long run. If they could 'maybe" support it down the line they can certainly do it now, which makes more sense during the bet process than after it goes to public release.

if the word "burning" bothers you I can use a different one? They are really making it way more difficult than it needs to be because of arbitrary security requirements that don't effect most consumers.

The word "burn" doesn't bother me, but you are the one complaining about it being too "difficult", while implying that you would have to do things that you won't actually have to do. There is a big difference in "difficulty" (tediousness really) between using a DVD-RW drive (if you even still have one installed) and finding a blank DVD-R, etc compared to just double-clicking on an ISO. To download an ISO and double-click on it is really no more tedious or difficult than upgrading directly from Widows Update. If it works using an ISO, then chances are that the Windows 11 version of the Media Creation Tool will work also, which allows upgrades without actually creating an ISO, and that would be even easier.

I don't know about you but I'd prefer my perfectly capable current hardware to be supported by the OS, whatever that means in the long run. If they could 'maybe" support it down the line they can certainly do it now, which makes more sense during the bet process than after it goes to public release.

Yet again you toss out that word "supported", implying that it's important, but you still can't actually define what it is that you want from Microsoft. I think you are a bit confused about exactly what "support" is. Microsoft doesn't "support" your CPU, Intel "supports" your CPU. It's not a Microsoft CPU. When Microsoft "supports" something, they are generally talking about compatibility testing. That is to say, when a CPU is "supported" and listed as compatible, it has actually been tested by Microsoft to the extent that they are willing to guarantee that you will have a good experience with that hardware. If your CPU isn't on that list, it doesn't mean that it's not compatible, only that Microsoft doesn't intend to test decades worth of older hardware. They are letting people do that themselves by installing it if they want to. There are no driver issues. Even when I install Windows 11 on a 10+ year old computer it still finds almost all the drivers automatically via Windows Update. They certainly are not holding back drivers for "unsupported" hardware. That's because Windows 11 largely uses the same drivers as Windows 10, and Windows 10 is still supported for another 4 years.

I just find this entire controversy pretty hilarious simply because the hype and fear is so often disconnected from the reality of how Windows 11 works on older hardware. All of the 10-15+ year old computers I've been testing it on, they all work great with zero issues. If anything, I think the level of compatibility with older hardware is at least as good as any OS we've ever seen from Microsoft in the past. The fact that even Vista 64-bit drivers work fine 90%+ of the time is pretty amazing. When in the history of windows have we ever been able to get away with using 15 year old drivers like we can now? Never? There has never been a better time to run Windows on old hardware than now.

The word "burn" doesn't bother me, but you are the one complaining about it being too "difficult", while implying that you would have to do things that you won't actually have to do. There is a big difference in "difficulty" (tediousness really) between using a DVD-RW drive (if you even still have one installed) and finding a blank DVD-R, etc compared to just double-clicking on an ISO. To download an ISO and double-click on it is really no more tedious or difficult than upgrading directly from Widows Update. If it works using an ISO, then chances are that the Windows 11 version of the Media Creation Tool will work also, which allows upgrades without actually creating an ISO, and that would be even easier.

Yet again you toss out that word "supported", implying that it's important, but you still can't actually define what it is that you want from Microsoft. I think you are a bit confused about exactly what "support" is. Microsoft doesn't "support" your CPU, Intel "supports" your CPU. It's not a Microsoft CPU. When Microsoft "supports" something, they are generally talking about compatibility testing. That is to say, when a CPU is "supported" and listed as compatible, it has actually been tested by Microsoft to the extent that they are willing to guarantee that you will have a good experience with that hardware. If your CPU isn't on that list, it doesn't mean that it's not compatible, only that Microsoft doesn't intend to test decades worth of older hardware. They are letting people do that themselves by installing it if they want to. There are no driver issues. Even when I install Windows 11 on a 10+ year old computer it still finds almost all the drivers automatically via Windows Update. They certainly are not holding back drivers for "unsupported" hardware. That's because Windows 11 largely uses the same drivers as Windows 10, and Windows 10 is still supported for another 4 years.

I just find this entire controversy pretty hilarious simply because the hype and fear is so often disconnected from the reality of how Windows 11 works on older hardware. All of the 10-15+ year old computers I've been testing it on, they all work great with zero issues. If anything, I think the level of compatibility with older hardware is at least as good as any OS we've ever seen from Microsoft in the past. The fact that even Vista 64-bit drivers work fine 90%+ of the time is pretty amazing. When in the history of windows have we ever been able to get away with using 15 year old drivers like we can now? Never? There has never been a better time to run Windows on old hardware than now.

LOL I'm not the one making a big deal out of it. I just posed a comment. Thank MS for the confusion. Your amusement was created by them so point it towards MS. You ever try and get MS software support on unsupported hardware, I have? And for the living fuck how to you click on a bootable install ISO in Windows itself and start the setup process? It will tell you need to run it at boot up. Its not the windows 10 upgrade tool to click and run. You still have to reboot and run the setup the same way? Do you even admin? Nobody is arguing about it just works on older hardware.....THAT IS THE POINT OF ALL THE CONFUSION. You are just complaining about complainers now according to your logic.

Last edited:
And for the living fuck how to you click on a bootable install ISO in Windows itself and start the setup process? It will tell you need to run it at boot up. Its not the windows 10 upgrade tool to click and run. You still have to reboot and run the setup the same way? Do you even admin?

I have not got any messages saying that I need to run it at boot. Most of the computers that I've tested it on have been upgraded from either Windows 7 or Windows 10, using the files from the ISO, and clicking on the setup.exe to start the upgrade. You don't have to do a clean install... You can upgrade using the ISO, you just can't upgrade using Windows Update.

Last edited:
I have not got any messages saying that I need to run it at boot. Most of the computers that I've tested it on have been upgraded from either Windows 7 or Windows 10, using the files from the ISO, and clicking on the setup.exe to start the upgrade. You don't have to do a clean install... You can upgrade using the ISO, you just can't upgrade using Windows Update.

Thanks, I'm going to test it. I have a test machine and an insider account so I will give it a shot.

Never mind....

Windows 11 on unsupported PCs won't receive OS updates

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm going to test it. I have a test machine and an insider account so I will give it a shot.

Never mind....

Windows 11 on unsupported PCs won't receive OS updates
i have no idea where that is really coming from, but updates work just fine on "unsupported" systems. ive turned off tpm, never even turned on secure boot and i still get updates and upgrades to new dev builds on my sig rig. also, i did not need an insider account to install the dev builds on test systems. i just used the iso, fed it a key and created a local account. updates and upgrades still worked.

i have no idea where that is really coming from, but updates work just fine on "unsupported" systems. ive turned off tpm, never even turned on secure boot and i still get updates and upgrades to new dev builds on my sig rig. also, i did not need an insider account to install the dev builds on test systems. i just used the iso, fed it a key and created a local account. updates and upgrades still worked.

Several sites are reporting it now...retail release might be different as far as updates go. As with all things MS they may back track or hold fast on this.

https://www.extremetech.com/computi...-to-install-windows-11-just-not-automatically

https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/28/22646035/microsoft-windows-11-iso-workaround-no-update-guarantee

Several sites are reporting it now...retail release might be different as far as updates go. As with all things MS they may back track or hold fast on this.

https://www.extremetech.com/computi...-to-install-windows-11-just-not-automatically

https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/28/22646035/microsoft-windows-11-iso-workaround-no-update-guarantee
the top one points to the second one as the source but the verge doesnt actually point to or quote their source. as someone else mentioned, ms isnt gong to want diy installers to go without updates and open up security issues when thats what theyre trying to fix with 11. we'll just have to wait and see at this point, still months out.

the top one points to the second one as the source but the verge doesnt actually point to or quote their source. as someone else mentioned, ms isnt gong to want diy installers to go without updates and open up security issues when thats what theyre trying to fix with 11. we'll just have to wait and see at this point, still months out.

Yeah I think most sites point to the Verge and their discussion with MS. I don't see how that would benefit anybody if the already stated they would allow non hardware supported installs?

Yeah I think most sites point to the Verge

Correct. The question then becomes, why do you keep linking these "new" articles? Nothing has changed. The verge still has not been able to produce even a single actual quote. Stop pimping their clickbait. It's pretty clear that MS won't be withholding updates... even the idea is silly.

Correct. The question then becomes, why do you keep linking these "new" articles? Nothing has changed. The verge still has not been able to produce even a single actual quote. Stop pimping their clickbait. It's pretty clear that MS won't be withholding updates... even the idea is silly.

Because its news and I didn't find that out until after a little research. Otherwise you are not my supervisor so get the fuck over it if it doesn't break any rules. The confusion may or may be on MS or the Verge. Wow

Hmmm....https://www.pcmag.com/news/windows-11-wont-offer-windows-update-on-unsupported-devices

No mention of the Verge...

Last edited:
Because its news and I didn't find that out until after a little research. Otherwise you are not my supervisor so get the fuck over it if it doesn't break any rules. The confusion may or may be on MS or the Verge. Wow

It's also not against the rules to call out bullshit, so sorry if that gives you a sandy vagina.

Hmmm....

No mention of any source...

On this forum we have a higher standard for factual information than "because someone said so". I'm still waiting for any article, anywhere, to actually produce a single quote, or anything official from Microsoft about what they actually said. But that won't happen, because it's a BS click-bait rumor. Feel free to prove me wrong.

It's also not against the rules to call out bullshit, so sorry if that gives you a sandy vagina.

Hmmm....

No mention of any source...

On this forum we have a higher standard for factual information than "because someone said so". I'm still waiting for any article, anywhere, to actually produce a single quote, or anything official from Microsoft about what they actually said. But that won't happen, because it's a BS click-bait rumor. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Yeah on this forum I'm going to take the word of an anonymous poster that this is bullshit...pcmag is click bait huh? Talk about sandy vagina fan boys LOL. This forum has higher standards? This forum runs on click bait rumors about upcoming products/services with some questionable websites. Feel free to prove me wrong. How about you grow the fuck up and attack the articles vs. the poster like a grown up.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/micro...ng-to-run-windows-11-on-unsupported-hardware/ I guess MJF at zdnet is also click bait.

Update (August 28): An "unsupported state," in this case, means your PC won't be entitled to receive updates via Windows Update. These may (or may not) include security and driver updates. As a result, your PC may encounter compatibility issues and become unusable, may experience issues that Microsoft support won't be able to help resolve, and may not be covered by warranty.

Last edited:
Yeah on this forum I'm going to take the word of an anonymous poster that this is bullshit...pcmag is click bait huh? Talk about sandy vagina fan boys LOL. This forum has higher standards? This forum runs on click bait rumors about upcoming products/services with some questionable websites. Feel free to prove me wrong. How about you grow the fuck up and attack the articles vs. the poster like a grown up.

It's always fun listening to someone tell me to grow up as they are in the process of having a childish temper tantrum. Attacking your "articles" is what i've been doing this whole time, if you take offense to that, that's your problem.

What I see is yet again another article with no source whatsoever, and even the quote you posted says "may" so many times, it's pretty clear that they have exactly no idea what the status of updates will be in RTM. And yes, Zdnet has been mostly clickbait for many years now.

It's always fun listening to someone tell me to grow up as they are in the process of having a childish temper tantrum. Attacking your "articles" is what i've been doing this whole time, if you take offense to that, that's your problem.

What I see is yet again another article with no source whatsoever, and even the quote you posted says "may" so many times, it's pretty clear that they have exactly no idea what the status of updates will be in RTM. And yes, Zdnet has been mostly clickbait for many years now.

That is the pot calling the kettle black right there? :rolleyes: That is the point I was trying to make. There is no proof either way but there seems to be some corroboration by known websites talking to MS. Zdnet is known for being pro MS. Thank MS for all of the confusion. Or continue spouting "not true" and posting insults. Its always fun reading posts by anonymous "adults" trying to win an Internet argument by being confrontational from the get go. The forum should post a list of websites they only seem worthy of linking to so we can keep the sandy vagina's at a minimum. :meh: I'm out of this disagreement, not worth it.

There is no proof either way but there seems to be some corroboration by known websites talking to MS.

In the article, they don't actually claim that they got any response from Microsoft. They simply don't list any source at all.

Or continue spouting "not true" and posting insults.

I think your last couple posts has contained more "insults" than I've posted in the last year.

The forum should post a list of websites they only seem worthy of linking

It's not about the article, it's about the source - or lack thereof. Sorry that you haven't figured that out yet.

I'm out of this disagreement, not worth it.

Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Careful that you only post hardforum approved links. It contains the following excerpt. You might get certain forum police posting it is simply not true...it hurts their feelings. ;)

This is a bit fraught with danger, though, as Microsoft has confirmed these ISO installs will not receive important updates, including security ones.

Careful that you only post hardforum approved links. It contains the following excerpt. You might get certain forum police posting it is simply not true...it hurts their feelings. ;)
lol whos butthurt enough to make a comment like that?
can you please show us where ms actually said that, you know, like an official statement? so far all these articles dont provide any sources for that claim other than a random tweet or a blog post. maybe find something that doesnt point back to verge's unverified claim.

lol whos butthurt enough to make a comment like that?
can you please show us where ms actually said that, you know, like an official statement? so far all these articles dont provide any sources for that claim other than a random tweet or a blog post. maybe find something that doesnt point back to verge's unverified claim.

Where in that article does it say it is getting its info from the verge? I'll wait...

Where in that article does it say it is getting its info from the verge? I'll wait...
thats the problem it doesnt list a source, so im asking for one. all the other links posted(#25) about this link back to the verges original claim. so do you have a legit ms statement?

Back