Windows 10: Your thoughts so far?

Not sure if you're referring to just the original Surface Pro but there's quite a bit of difference between the original Surface Pro running Windows 8.0 and a Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10. There is one use case that I know is niche but still has a following that will spend money on Windows device that are good at it and that's inking.

Windows 10 seems to have closed the gap on the viability of a hybrid OS. While 10 isn't as elegant as 8 in some ways on tablets it is effective. My wife has been using 10 on her tablet for a few days and she's pick it up fine. One thing that does make it easier is having the task bar and other chrome on screen what 8 didn't have. And 10 certainly gets the consensus as been a much better desktop OS than 8.x.

Do you have some sort of bot that informs you of every post where the word Windows is used? Geez.

Pulled from a post in another thread:

Here’s how to prevent automatic driver updates in Windows 10:

Navigate to Control Panel>System and click Advanced System Settings
Open the “Hardware” tab and click the Device Installation Settings button
Change the setting to “No, let me choose what to do” and then enable the option to “Never install driver software from Windows Update
Click the Save Changes button at the bottom.

That does nothing unfortunately. First thing I did along with killing auto updates via gpedit.msc. Everything is still funneled to my system and I wont go in to the failed intel updates that happen before I can even get to change those (which also do not show up in the wu block tool). I also wont go in to how every windows 10 install I have seen fails sfc /scannow

Last edited:
That does nothing unfortunately. First thing I did along with killing auto updates via gpedit.msc. Everything is still funneled to my system and I wont go in to the failed intel updates that happen before I can even get to change those (which also do not show up in the wu block tool). I also wont go in to how every windows 10 install I have seen fails sfc /scannow

That should stop automatic driver updates, unless they are already in process of downloading or in queue. In that case you should kill Windows Update and Intelligent Transfer Service process and delete everything in Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder which clears the Windows Update cache and queue list.

Do you have some sort of bot that informs you of every post where the word Windows is used? Geez.

You made a specific comment about the Surface Pro which is hardware that apparently you don't use. I was simply offering a point of view from someone that does with Windows 10 which is what this thread is about.

You made a specific comment about the Surface Pro which is hardware that apparently you don't use. I was simply offering a point of view from someone that does with Windows 10 which is what this thread is about.

You didn't answer the question. And the post in question was not directed at you. Thus the question.

Geez.

That should stop automatic driver updates, unless they are already in process of downloading or in queue. In that case you should kill Windows Update and Intelligent Transfer Service process and delete everything in Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder which clears the Windows Update cache and queue list.

Thanks for the info but I do not have it in me to reinstall again. I did, no joke, 4-5 clean installs of 10 and one going back to 8.1. I honestly cannot wrap my mind around some of the decisions made with 10; my brain honestly hurts.
But I am saving this info for whenever I am bored enough to try again, thanks

Thanks for the info but I do not have it in me to reinstall again. I did, no joke, 4-5 clean installs of 10 and one going back to 8.1. I honestly cannot wrap my mind around some of the decisions made with 10; my brain honestly hurts.
But I am saving this info for whenever I am bored enough to try again, thanks

Neither do I honestly. There are a lot of useless shit and wierd decisions. There are workarounds to most of them but hopefully Microsoft grows a brain at some point so we dont HAVE to dig deep into depths of the OS to get rid of them.

Not to sidetrack things but with respect to the Surface Pro (meaning the model(s) that run desktop Windows, not the RT versions) I've been to 9 hospitals here in my area over the past two years for a variety of reasons (appts, visits, etc) and at all 9 hospitals the Dr.'s I encountered were using Surface Pro tablets - not one of them ever had an iPad even though most of them did have iPhones and a few BlackBerry devices as well, but I've yet to see an iPad in use in a medical hospital here in my area.

If that's not a use case I don't know what is. :D

Not to sidetrack things but with respect to the Surface Pro (meaning the model(s) that run desktop Windows, not the RT versions) I've been to 9 hospitals here in my area over the past two years for a variety of reasons (appts, visits, etc) and at all 9 hospitals the Dr.'s I encountered were using Surface Pro tablets - not one of them ever had an iPad even though most of them did have iPhones and a few BlackBerry devices as well, but I've yet to see an iPad in use in a medical hospital here in my area.

If that's not a use case I don't know what is. :D

The reason why the x86 Surface line hasn't been the disaster the Surface RT was is because there are use cases for the idea that aren't covered by a conventional laptop plus a separate device. The most obvious one being that you don't need two separate devices.

Much of Windows 10 success will be based on how well Continuum works. At first I was very skeptical because Continuum really didn't come into form until about two months ago and was still buggy for me until the first week of July. The better Continuum works the more useful 2 in 1 devices will become setting themselves further apart from conventional laptops and media consumption focused touch only tablets.

hey just tried this on a friends pc and it was a no go. I unplugged his pc from the router before even starting a clean install of 10, once loaded I went in and changed that setting to "Never install driver software from WU" and unchecked "auto get device info" as well.
I restarted his pc, double checked that setting was still on never and plugged in the lan cable. Fired up wu and all I see is device drivers being installed for nvidia, Samsung lan printer and intel me:confused:

Updating video drivers is going to make gamers livid. I am most certainly not installing Win10 now. Microsoft, why you so fucking stupid?

Updating video drivers is going to make gamers livid. I am most certainly not installing Win10 now. Microsoft, why you so fucking stupid?
It's the stupidest thing I've ever witnessed.

I've had black screens multiple times now necessitating a reboot right in the middle my games pissing off my entire team and often losing the match.

The fault lies primarily with the video card manufacturers, not Microsoft, since the video card manufacturers are the ones that write and supply the drivers. And since the drivers on Windows Update are still provided by the hardware manufacturers, the blame still lies with them, not Microsoft.

hmmm...let's see

option A
nVidia shouldn't update drivers

option B
Microsoft shouldn't force driver updates regardless of what the user is doing at the time

I can't imagine what the most popular (and sane) answer should be

You forgot option C: ain't nobody being forced to use Windows 10, either.

That's not option C, that's a non sequitur to who's to blame for a driver updating in the middle of a game, which is what rezerekted was pointing out.

Forced driver updates also violate the basic tenet that end-users aren't supposed to be updating drivers simply because they're new. Unless you have an issue, a driver shouldn't be a compelled upgrade.

(also, you wrote a double negative that means everyone is forced to use Windows 10)

today i was ready to abandon this retarded windows 10 crap but now im giving it another chance on the enterprise edition. dude, i cant believe im at this enterprise edition bullshit again, the fuck is this, windows 7? besides the bad first impressions this is now feeling like a bad déjà vu yo.

today i was ready to abandon this retarded windows 10 crap but now im giving it another chance on the enterprise edition. dude, i cant believe im at this enterprise edition bullshit again, the fuck is this, windows 7? besides the bad first impressions this is now feeling like a bad déjà vu yo.

Considering the Enterprise edition (which has a trial version) isn't something you can just go out and buy a single copy - it's only available to business/commercial companies buying volume licenses and MSDN subscribers and isn't for personal use, mind if I ask why you're using that edition at all?

Considering the Enterprise edition (which has a trial version) isn't something you can just go out and buy a single copy - it's only available to business/commercial companies buying volume licenses and MSDN subscribers and isn't for personal use, mind if I ask why you're using that edition at all?

to toy with it, because i always had access to everything MSDN from my business software/database development days.

So far I have liked windows 10 with one exception, the forced updates. The kick in the nuts was yesterday installing the new Creative Z drivers. I installed them with no problem, but shortly afterwards Windows Update updated the Sound Blaster Audio Controller to SB Recon3D PCIe Audio Controller. I have a Sound Blaster Z, not a Recon 3D. Not even the right driver!! I turned off the settings in Device Installation, plus managed to hide it with the tool provided by Microsoft. So far so good, but really WTF!! What a stupid idea, I can tolerate critical updates but drivers for my hardware??

The fault lies primarily with the video card manufacturers, not Microsoft, since the video card manufacturers are the ones that write and supply the drivers. And since the drivers on Windows Update are still provided by the hardware manufacturers, the blame still lies with them, not Microsoft.

No, it is Microsoft's fault, many gamers deliberately use older versions of drivers and do not always want the latest version. Some use custom drivers too and not official Nvidia drivers. This is unforgivable.

Some use custom drivers too and not official Nvidia drivers.

I wish you could comprehend the irony of your statement there but, alas, I fear it's just too far beyond you considering.

I wish you could comprehend the irony of your statement there but, alas, I fear it's just too far beyond you considering.

The irony of wanting to maintain your own computer. What has this world come to.

So far I have liked windows 10 with one exception, the forced updates. The kick in the nuts was yesterday installing the new Creative Z drivers. I installed them with no problem, but shortly afterwards Windows Update updated the Sound Blaster Audio Controller to SB Recon3D PCIe Audio Controller. I have a Sound Blaster Z, not a Recon 3D. Not even the right driver!! I turned off the settings in Device Installation, plus managed to hide it with the tool provided by Microsoft. So far so good, but really WTF!! What a stupid idea, I can tolerate critical updates but drivers for my hardware??

Windows Update has been pushing driver updates for years. This is not new.

WU has pushed driver updates for a long time, but Windows 10 seems to be headed in the direction of trying to be the primary driver source. Hence the Nvidia issues.
For power users (like most of us) it can be infuriating since we want more control. However for most people it's nice not to have to track down dozens of drivers for random Lenovo/Dell/Etc. OEM parts.
I see both points of view.

Is there a way to add a button on the taskbar to show desktop?

There already is one. It's that little sliver to the right of the time clock. Mouse over to view desktop, click to hide all windows and show the desktop. Click again to restore windows.

The irony of wanting to maintain your own computer. What has this world come to.

Unfortunately, many people don't maintain their computer. I see MS's point and I don't think they had to go this far.

That said, I've learned to love the bomb, I mean automatic updates.

I'm dual booting windows 10 pro 64bit and Kubuntu 15.04

I think i perfer Kubuntu over Windows 10

Windows Update has been pushing driver updates for years. This is not new.
The issue is not whether Windows is making drivers available, but whether it is making them mandatory. Previously, driver updates were marked "Optional" and the user was able to download them or ignore them. Now they are downloaded and installed whether the user wants them or not and regardless of what the user is doing.

All of that is most certainly new. It's also not a good idea to update drivers "just because." That's poor practice and doesn't do anything in terms of enhancing security (the main reason MS claimed it was going down this path).

That's why Linus Torvalds created Linux in a nutshell basically, hence me stating that perhaps Linux is more akin to what people with such an obsession over control would find more appealing.

Windows is and always has been a "lowest common denominator" product: it is created and designed so that it works on the widest possible hardware foundation imaginable and provides tools that Microsoft believes will benefit the most people overall which is what it ends up doing and being.

The fact that it works at all is rather astonishing considering the nearly infinite variety of hardware it can be installed and made functional on.

The issue is not whether Windows is making drivers available, but whether it is making them mandatory. Previously, driver updates were marked "Optional" and the user was able to download them or ignore them. Now they are downloaded and installed whether the user wants them or not and regardless of what the user is doing.

All of that is most certainly new. It's also not a good idea to update drivers "just because." That's poor practice and doesn't do anything in terms of enhancing security (the main reason MS claimed it was going down this path).

Mandatory on home, yes, not on pro.

Mandatory on home, yes, not on pro.
The driver updates are mandatory on Pro.
Sources discussing the problem are pointing out that Pro can be changed from mainstream branch to Current Branch for Business, but only prevents feature updates for a few months.

Maybe updates aren't mandatory on Enterprise but I when I read about it even the Enterprise version can only be switched to Long Term Servicing branch, which delays feature updates for years (not indefinitely).

I'm not sure if "feature updates" refers to drivers or not. I am currently on Windows 10 Pro and there is no way to prevent the nVidia drivers from updating. Until recently the huge issue that was splashing across the headlines was that Windows Update was updating the drivers and then GeForce Experience was downgrading the drivers and back and forth they'd go.

This most recent version has completely screwed my SLI setups but rather than fight with it like the last driver update fiasco I'm simply going into my control panel and disabling SLI for each game manually. That's at least resolving the SLI issues but it hasn't resolved the screen blanking out while playing a game because my video drivers are concurrently updating :eek:

Just make it so power-users can turn it off with a bit of work. Automatic driver updates are no bueno, period. After living with the forced updates on WinRT, there is NO way I am going to tolerate mandatory udpates on my desktops. Until then, Win10 lives in a VM so I can play with it. So far, I definitely like the UI and the way it looks.

Back