Windows 10 Updates Ruin Everything

Best I can tell, the general consensus of people defending it is that there is no problem with Windows 10 and if you're having one, you must be stupid. It's almost dogmatic.
That's really the best you can tell? I think you're being intentional disingenuous here.

The opinion of the people (like me) defending it is: 95% of computer owners are not computer literate enough to install security patches; and for the small minority of gamers and power users, we just turn off auto updates.

Let me be very blunt. This is [H]. We're the biggest fucking tech enthusiasts on planet Earth. The moment we get a new GPU or CPU, we overclock the living shit out of it. We can assemble a gaming PC with one hand tied behind out backs. We shell out thousands for unproven tech and hardware then give no fucks when it's worth a fraction of what we paid for it in a year. We can pull up WMIC and uninstall a program from the command line. We can use a Linux terminal to partition our ext4 disks or recover GRUB.

I find it completely asinine that the people in this thread are howling mad about having to use gpedit while simultaneously leaping to the defense of Joe Blow Inspiron owner because he has to reboot. The folks who don't know shit about their PC's have patches forced on them? Good, I'm glad. And fuck them. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool PC gamer, my machine doesn't do anything unless I tell it to, and if anyone here throws up their hands at Windows 10's update methods and cannot figure out how to turn it off, they should just delete their forum account right now.

Windows' forced updates aren't for us. They're for the tens of millions of computer illiterate users who have no idea what they're doing. Windows is a general purpose OS for the general public, who are generally dumb when it comes to PCs. People need to stop getting mad because it's configured out-of-the-box with Mom in mind instead of gamers and power users.

That's really the best you can tell? I think you're being intentional disingenuous here.

The opinion of the people (like me) defending it is: 95% of computer owners are not computer literate enough to install security patches; and for the small minority of gamers and power users, we just turn off auto updates.

Let me be very blunt. This is [H]. We're the biggest fucking tech enthusiasts on planet Earth. The moment we get a new GPU or CPU, we overclock the living shit out of it. We can assemble a gaming PC with one hand tied behind out backs. We shell out thousands for unproven tech and hardware then give no fucks when it's worth a fraction of what we paid for it in a year. We can pull up WMIC and uninstall a program from the command line. We can use a Linux terminal to partition our ext4 disks or recover GRUB.

I find it completely asinine that the people in this thread are howling mad about having to use gpedit while simultaneously leaping to the defense of Joe Blow Inspiron owner because he has to reboot. The folks who don't know shit about their PC's have patches forced on them? Good, I'm glad. And fuck them. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool PC gamer, my machine doesn't do anything unless I tell it to, and if anyone here throws up their hands at Windows 10's update methods and cannot figure out how to turn it off, they should just delete their forum account right now.

Windows' forced updates aren't for us. They're for the tens of millions of computer illiterate users who have no idea what they're doing. Windows is a general purpose OS for the general public, who are generally dumb when it comes to PCs. People need to stop getting mad because it's configured out-of-the-box with Mom in mind instead of gamers and power users.
No, I wasn't being intentionally disingenuous, you have cleared up your views, but I think you're missing some things here:

1. Windows is an utterly massive install base. Unannounced reboots are terrible for almost any reason, this slows down productivity maybe to the tune of millions of people. Some people are lucky and don't have a problem, others are like this counter strike player here. The way this is implemented is anti-progress. Your attitude is "fuck them." Sorry, but I don't have contempt for someone who doesn't happen to be a computer expert. I'm not an expert in medicine. I'm glad pharmacists don't write "go fuck yourself" for instruction labels when selling medicine. My attitude is "People should be able to use their systems for what they want to." Do you listen to music? Would you prefer it if an artist you like who is making a song didn't have a mandatory update where he loses some work and is delayed 10-20 minutes in the middle of his inspirational session at 3am? He should have known better and taken some IT lessons instead of mastering guitar huh? There are countless examples where this is causing problems for Joe Blow, this one just happened to get caught on video. Again, anti-progress. I think you're defending that in favor of ego satisfaction because you are more knowledgeable about your system. Congratulations. That works for you, but for an OS as large as windows, small things can add up to impact society on an enormous scale.

2. People are technical in different ways. I use my system primarily for multimedia development and gaming. I've built hundreds of systems in my time, but I honestly hate having to deal with Windows' bullshit. I have a checklist of about 150 settings I need to change + programs I need for a new install to customize MY experience for what I do, because I use my system in so many different ways. Bullshit like this adds to that list, a lot. Windows 10 is unprecedented with its levels of intrusion. I look at Windows 10 like a garden full of weeds I have to pull up. Mandatory updates is just one small part. Others mentioned O&O Shutup10, but I'm not even THAT removes ALL the additional levels of reporting. [H] Even had a guide on how to disable Win10 notifications on Windows 7 that wasn't intended as parody not long ago. All this adds up and eats up bandwidth by default, screws with my settings, and more importantly, takes up my time to go through all this bullshit again when I could be working on something more productive. In other words, just because you CAN overcome OS obstacles, doesn't mean it wasn't all bullshit in the first place. Obfuscation for its own sake is not a good thing.

The bottom line is this isn't oriented for Mom, like you said. It's pushing updates at the expense of everyone who doesn't understand how that works. But by all means, please keep defending unannounced forcible reboots (for any reason), it makes you look totally reasonable.

Last edited:

Thank you, that is the way it is, unfortunately. When someone, such as the poster you quoted, is unable to convince someone to his side, he goes on a accusatory rant and blames everyone that does not agree with him or her. Of course, although they claim Windows 7 is near perfect, I bet they have been saying more or less the same things since they started using Windows, whenever that was. For me, I actually found that it is much more enjoyable and peaceful to use things as they are because, after all, why should I get all bent out of shape over it? (I have bad days like everyone else but, not a lifestyle of it like the accusers seem to have.)

Sorry, all I got was a comment on malware...and not all software requires a reboot.
In Windows? Sorry most of it does. Hell you could even expand on this idea. How about when it comes out sleep?

Are you going to tell me now that no ones computer goes to sleep?

You wake the computer and at that time it prompts for update.

I guess we will have to disagree here. Sorry I just don't believe that by default your computer should start doing things on it's own.

There are so many ways that this could be done that the people defending the default just seem to be mindlessly defending MS.

Last edited:

The chances of Joe Blow Inpsiron coming to [H] is pretty slim so it's unlikely that he has an account to delete. Then again we've seen all tech levels come here.

Having said that, I'm not jumping to the defense of Joe Blow Inspiron. I'm jumping to the defense of sanity. There are a million ways that this could be done without affecting the end-user to the level that it does. You say that people discussing alternatives are asinine but people who can't comprehend that there are alternative methods are what? Sane?

Here are some ideas:

• On startup
  • On shutdown
  • On sleep
  • On wake
  • Before allowing an install of new software
  • After installing new software
  • On restart
  • Before starting a program
  • When closing a program

Hell there are probably many more ways to do it if I felt like expending the energy and ALL of them would be infinitely better than having the computer restart on it's own regardless of what the person is doing. All of the suggestions above require the user to do something or walk away from the computer.
Over all of it though I'm not howling mad. If anything the people in defense of this default seem like a hooker grasping a dick working for the last dollar. The default is horrible. It's OK to admit it. It doesn't mean that you can't like MS in the morning or use Windows anymore.

Thank you, that is the way it is, unfortunately. When someone, such as the poster you quoted, is unable to convince someone to his side, he goes on a accusatory rant and blames everyone that does not agree with him or her. Of course, although they claim Windows 7 is near perfect, I bet they have been saying more or less the same things since they started using Windows, whenever that was. For me, I actually found that it is much more enjoyable and peaceful to use things as they are because, after all, why should I get all bent out of shape over it? (I have bad days like everyone else but, not a lifestyle of it like the accusers seem to have.)
So your style is to make false accusations? Care to point out where I blamed everything and everyone, or where I claimed Windows 7 was perfect? Or where I defended Windows 7 at all? I did say the defenses I've seen so far seem dogmatic, because I literally have not seen a reason yet explaining why forced unannounced rebooting is acceptable. Crusty_juggler's answer to people that have problems with that is literally "fuck them."

I'm fully willing to admit I'm wrong about something, but the only counter-argument to my point that I've seen is "they deserve it." essentially. Please, give me a good reason to reboot someone's computer while they're in the middle of using it other than "they deserve it." If you can't do that, but are only willing to say I'm lashing out at everyone, it makes you look like the one blaming people who don't agree with you.

Here are some ideas:
  • On startup
  • On shutdown
  • On sleep
  • On wake
  • On restart
  • When closing a program

All of these will be standard in Windows 11....

Here are some ideas:

• On startup
  • On shutdown
  • On sleep
  • On wake
  • On restart
  • When closing a program

Nah installing updates at those times would make way too much logic and sense. No, by default let's reboot RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE of your work or game or overnight video encoding job, so what if there's high CPU//Memory/HDD activity indicating you might be using your PC for something.

That is a good point DPI, because the last few extended family members systems I have worked on, were running nearly 100% all of the time due to the state of their systems. The niece brought over her laptop cause it "stopped playing MP3's", so I told her I would look at it. The system was so hosed up, the admin password had been changed several times, from what looked like several different people. I just put in a stick, got rid of the partitions, made new ones and then installed Windows. While she was upset about it, I explained her system was too compromised. So in her case, there would have never been a time where the system wasn't being used by someone nefarious. It was a Windows 7 box and I purposely moved her to Windows 10 and let the system install and reboot when it wanted to, because she would never have done it.

While I think we are all agreeing to disagree, I think some of this stuff should be taught earlier in school, like from grade 5 and up. Proper maintenance, what bad things to look for, teaching kids not to click on everything single thing that might show boobs, etc. The lack of education in these area's are staggering. I have met several kids going off to college for the first time and they have no idea how to protect themselves or their information. I would say most don't even really know what a troll is or how they work.

That is a good point DPI, because the last few extended family members systems I have worked on, were running nearly 100% all of the time due to the state of their systems. The niece brought over her laptop cause it "stopped playing MP3's", so I told her I would look at it. The system was so hosed up, the admin password had been changed several times, from what looked like several different people. I just put in a stick, got rid of the partitions, made new ones and then installed Windows. While she was upset about it, I explained her system was too compromised. So in her case, there would have never been a time where the system wasn't being used by someone nefarious. It was a Windows 7 box and I purposely moved her to Windows 10 and let the system install and reboot when it wanted to, because she would never have done it.

While I think we are all agreeing to disagree, I think some of this stuff should be taught earlier in school, like from grade 5 and up. Proper maintenance, what bad things to look for, teaching kids not to click on everything single thing that might show boobs, etc. The lack of education in these area's are staggering. I have met several kids going off to college for the first time and they have no idea how to protect themselves or their information. I would say most don't even really know what a troll is or how they work.

Except that DPI quoted my post. If all of that stuff was installed guess what would have happened? Windows would have prompted for a restart and installed the patches. So again we have people that really are just unwilling to look at common sense alternatives in order to justify a really poorly thought out default.

You can do that with windows 10.
Edit: I thought this might be a Pro only setting, but it's available in Home too (though I assume most on here use pro)

Sure, I had Pro and I had Enterprise. One of the updates changed the setting on me or set everything to default. I have no idea, but it auto updated on me. I went right back to Win 8.1 Enterprise after that.

Maybe, it should just wait for the user to restart to try updating, how about that?

I wanted to say that this affected me this week. I have Windows 8.1 and it had a update. The big blue bar was across my screen that said Reboot Now or close. I didn't read the ENTIRE thing, and I didn't want to reboot because I had a video project open. Well I came back the next morning and it was at a blank desktop, Sony Vegas closed. God damnit Microsoft.....

Yes I realize, I'm the noob cause it says it's going to reboot......but WHY does it do this to begin with? Just keep annoying me, eventually I will reboot. This is how OSX is. It might take a month or 2, but I'll get around to it.

*NOT MY PICTURE*

Used as reference only.

Obviously the big word here are Your PC Needs To Restart, Restart Now and Close. Close would seem to mean, no I do not want to restart my PC.

reboot.png

I wanted to say that this affected me this week. I have Windows 8.1 and it had a update. The big blue bar was across my screen that said Reboot Now or close. I didn't read the ENTIRE thing, and I didn't want to reboot because I had a video project open. Well I came back the next morning and it was at a blank desktop, Sony Vegas closed. God damnit Microsoft.....

Yes I realize, I'm the noob cause it says it's going to reboot......but WHY does it do this to begin with? Just keep annoying me, eventually I will reboot. This is how OSX is. It might take a month or 2, but I'll get around to it.

*NOT MY PICTURE*

Used as reference only.

Obviously the big word here are Your PC Needs To Restart, Restart Now and Close. Close would seem to mean, no I do not want to restart my PC.

reboot.png
Even on Windows 7, if you close the reminder enough times, it will just restart your system. As I recall, once you go over that limit, it's no more than a 20 minute count down. If I really didn't want to restart (mostly happened at work), I'd just put that prompt in the background.

For me, work is the one place where this is a problem. At home, I almost always apply the updates within a day.

You're telling me Windows can't tell if someone is in the middle of working on the computer actively using and defer updates until I'm done? Wtf Windows 10 defenders? I don't hate the OS, but really? This is just poor decision making on the OS side.

Back